Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #256
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Me: would you guys have issues with me painting myself green?
Dad: I've helped you paint yourself green! Why would I take issue?
Me: Great! Would you be willing to help me paint myself green again?

Discussing future cosplay plans (Alan from Sailor Moon) with my family. I was Elphaba for Halloween a few years ago and my dad painted me green for that.
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #257
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
Me: would you guys have issues with me painting myself green?
Dad: I've helped you paint yourself green! Why would I take issue?
Me: Great! Would you be willing to help me paint myself green again?

Discussing future cosplay plans (Alan from Sailor Moon) with my family. I was Elphaba for Halloween a few years ago and my dad painted me green for that.
Alan!!!! ♥ I've always wanted to be Ann!

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 95%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Lolita!Mikasa -AoT 25%
Hinata Hyuga - Naruto 10%
Yin - Darker than Black 35%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #258
Tigersoul

Not "funny HaHa" but "funny odd"

My mother hates it, she thinks it's a waste of money and has actually thrown stuff out when she found it.

My Father thinks it's a bit much, but he has no room to talk (and knows it) because he's said if he went to a scifi con he'd cosplay as Spock... he's actually very supportive and loves to see some of the stuff I do. (And has suggested I actually be a semi-pro makeup artist as a side-job)

Funny part: both my parents are very homophobic (my mother more than my father) but when I told my dad I was going to crossplay Rainbow Dash (MLP:FiM) he didn't so much as bat an eye. (of course to be fair he does like FiM - not enough to watch it on his own but he's watched most of S1+S2 with me and enjoys it, plus he has said himself that Dash and my personalities match up almost perfectly... so, it might be that specific character, not crossplay as a whole he accepts --- though I'm not so sure I'll be showing him any pics since I'm really going as far and as realistically-female as I can)

EDIT:
oh and I have a black trenchcoat I wear jsut casually, and my father and I were out one day when I was wearing it and he said I really looked a lot like Neo (from The Matrix) and should think about doing him.

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #259
esclarmonde

I usually use little make up or none, due to dermathitis; even mineral powder/fundation can give me issues if used for more than 3-4 days in a row, so my family isn't used to seeing me with "complete" make up.

Yesterday I was refreshing my memory and did the whole thing: astringent, moisturizer, concealer, foundation, contouring. It took me a while to get everything right, but in the end turned out very nice. I went to my mother to show her, and:

Mom: "Are you going out?"
Me: "No mom, I wanted to see if I still remember this stuff"
Mom: "Oh, why?"
Me: "For cosplay! I want to look good, you know?"
Mom: "Oh, that's right! Wait here!"

She went to her room and came back with a still sealed Kryolan's micro foundation cream palette, the small one, and said: "I bought this to hide a scar, but it went away wit a bit of careful tanning, so you can have it. Use it and become even more gorgeous."

It's a small gesture and didn't cost her anything, but the fact that she remembered she had something I can use for an activity she has no interest in almost made me cry on the spot!
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #260
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

This happened yesterday:
Mom: "Hey honey, I got something for you!"
Me: "Oh, what is it?"
Mom: "You said you need red nail polish for a costume, so here you go!"
Me: "Thanks Mom You didn't have to do that."
Mom: "Oh I think I did. I swear its the only time I get to make you all girly and pretty rather than handsome and manly."

It make me really happy because 1: She remembered and actually bought me something for cosplay out of the blue and 2: She admitted that I look like I man when I do the makeup right!
(happy dance~)
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #261
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
Alan!!!! ♥ I've always wanted to be Ann!
XD That's awesome! I say go for it!
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)

Last edited by Quinn The Spazz : 01-12-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #262
Ilafatyu
That guy

"Hey Mum, can I borrow your eyeliner?"
"Sure...?"
"How about eyeshadow?"
"This is for cosplay, isn't it?"
"Is that a yes?"

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #263
Zeles

Mom: Honey we're meeting our relatives today. Wear something nice
Me: *runs off*
Mom: *calls across hallway* You're not allowed to wear your cosplays, wigs, or cosplay makeup
me: Darnit!
mom: on second thought, your Kairi dress looks nice... ...
me: Its not a dress! Its a .... dress... ...
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #264
Horu-chan
Aspiring Magical Girl

I think I got it lucky since my parents are pretty chill about the whole cosplay thing (I also wear Lolita.) Mind you, they were a little confused about it at first but now my parents are like "are you dressing up for that event too?" So it's pretty awesome.
Also, now that I've started sewing and making my own costumes, my mom and my boyfriend's mom keep asking me to make stuff for them. I'm still a beginner.
I've also lucked out since my boyfriend's sister is a cosplayer, so my bf knows all about it and doesn't find it strange!
(Field's of Hope) Lacus Clyne from Gundam Seed Destiny

Conventions:
East Coast Comic Expo (May 18th)
Animaritime (June 28th-30th)
Harbour Con-Fusion (August 2nd-4th)
Hal-con (November 8th-10th)
Horu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #265
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

*family in fabricland, parents looking for new curtains*

Dad: *holds up the basket of stuff my 9 year old sister and I picked out to buy and takes out one of my RIT dye packs* What is this?
Me: It's RIT. Don't worry, it's for me not the little sister.
Dad: What. I thought you were done!
Me: I'm never done!
14 year old sister: Cosplay is a way of life!

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #266
Ilafatyu
That guy

This happened the day after I got Judal's wig. I was wearing it around the house in joy, since it was my first real wig. Then I went into the kitchen.

Grandmother: What did you do to your hair?
Me: Nope. It's a dead cat.
Grandmother: -leery glance-
Me: Do you want help with dinner?
Grandmother: No, that's alright.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #267
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

My mother hasn't ever said anything in regards to me and cosplay. Hell, I am male, and I just came out to her about my crossplaying a few months ago, however, I still haven't crossplayed since however, since my con isn't until May. She hasn't said anything out of the ordinary, but I am sure she probably thinks it is strange. I also DID tell her I am transgendered, and she is supportive of me. She asked once since then if I had a cosplay in mind yet. Sadly, I didn't, and still do not.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #268
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Dad: *jokingly* Hey, I was cleaning out the comic room and I found Spock ears! I don't suppose you have any cosplay characters with pointy ears, do you?
Me: *deadpan* Alan. Alan from Sailor Moon.
Dad: *slightly unnerved that I do* ...Ok then...
Me: Wait, can I paint them Green?
Dad: *leaves*
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #269
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

"What are you trying to cosplay this time? Charlie Brown?"
My Mom's response to my bold choice of buying a yellow t-shirt
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #270
SongInTheStorm
GenderBender

My parents aren't entirely supportive(think I'm too old for it/need to grow up etc. etc.) but we kind of have this silent agreement that as long as I don't wear any of it outside my room or a con(worried the neighbors [that don't exist/im surrounded by trees] will see) then it's fine.

There was one instance though when I came home from work and found a really old sewing machine and a huge pile of various fabrics in my room. When I asked my mom about it she said: "well, the sewing machine was a gift for when I married your dad and it never got used and I'd rather not see you with bloody fingertips again" (I stuck my fingers alot when I started teaching myself to sew)

The gesture made me really happy and after that, I thought it would be okay to show her some of my costumes after I made them. I was very wrong with that thought but I still like to think that she is secretly supporting me(even though I had to remove her from my facebook for degrading all my cosplay pics on there >.>) mothers are confusing lol
~~~Namine~~~
*SECRET*
SongInTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote