Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hetalia: Axis Powers

Unread 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #46
VictoriaRosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
...that depends on whats written. Though i can't think of anything that'd be appropriate on a french flag. I don't see a problem with the writing itself, as long as its not anything offensive, bad, or just poorly written.

Though like i said, i honestly can't think of anything that WOULDN'T be disrespectful on it.
The French flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing on the flag of any nature

This info is specifically for the French Flag! I only know info for the French and American Flag because I cosplay France and I am American. Even just carrying around a French flag is considered a sign of disrespect
VictoriaRosen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #47
Convulsive
My name is Kan

I'm kind of glad this thread has tons of varying opinions on it. I think giant flags are a great prop, I plan on getting some for all of my next Hetalia cosplays (Prussia, America, Britain, Russia, in that order).

but here's a question: what do you do with a flag when you need to sit down/do something with your hands? Do you roll it up onto the pole and gently set it down?

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #48
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
but here's a question: what do you do with a flag when you need to sit down/do something with your hands? Do you roll it up onto the pole and gently set it down?
This should help you---> http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=237953

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #49
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
I'm kind of glad this thread has tons of varying opinions on it. I think giant flags are a great prop, I plan on getting some for all of my next Hetalia cosplays (Prussia, America, Britain, Russia, in that order).

I suggest folding it properly and putting it in a bag. Only putting it on the pole for photoshoots or when you know you can carry it for a while.

How to fold a flag: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/foldflag.htm

I don't think this applies to something like the soviet union flag in America though, you get crap because you fold it respectfully so yeah... >.> ( if you plan on using it for Russia or something)

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #50
Convulsive
My name is Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Baka Zaru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
I suggest folding it properly and putting it in a bag. Only putting it on the pole for photoshoots or when you know you can carry it for a while.

How to fold a flag: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/foldflag.htm

I don't think this applies to something like the soviet union flag in America though, you get crap because you fold it respectfully so yeah... >.> ( if you plan on using it for Russia or something)
Oh, I see!
Thanks guys!

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #51
Deru-Wisper

O.o The only reason I would bring a large flag to a con would be if I was doing a Hetalia skit (Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6h-Z...eature=related ), but other than that it seems like it would be horrible having to carry it around all day.

Upcoming Cons:
Pacific Media Expo '14
Anime Los Angelos '15
Instagram - Tumblr
Deru-Wisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #52
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

You can always make a handheld flag out of construction paper. That's what I did for my Canada cosplay. I would never carry a huge flag around with hundreds of people bumping into me.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #53
crazdpastry

I belong to an anime club and we have quite a few Hetalia cosplayers there (for a relatively small group, that is). Their ages range from 14-17, and I have to say that I have never once seen any of them disrespecting any sort of flag at all. So, it certainly is not age that matters on the subject of being disrespectful, but maturity. I've never been to a con, however, so I'm sure there are people who do 'mess around' with flags and I have to say, I'm glad it's not anyone I know because it's those people who give fandoms bad names. Not saying they're bad people or deserved to get kicked out of a con for it but....

Even if they're not doing anything wrong *besides* disrespecting a flag they may be carrying, I do not in anyway think that's right. If it's simply a mistake because they don't know flag etiquette, then I believe they should have the sense to look up some of the rules before doing anything with a flag. Now, maybe it's just because I'm American and my father was in the Military so I was raised to respect flags, and I admit, we have quite a few rules about how to treat the American flag, but I would be horrified to see anybody treating *any* country's (countries') flag badly.

Overall, I think everyone should know the basics just to avoid offending the multitudes: Keep it off the ground, don't do anything that'll cause it harm, and just in general- treat it like you'd treat those antique tea-cups your mom loves so much; if the teacups don't mean much to you, at least think about how your mother would feel in regards to you mistreating them? I believe it's the same principle. To the people who's nations have different customs regarding flags, okay. That's all on you. You're in your country, so it's up to you to treat your flag the way you were taught to.

As for carrying large flags, I've never been one to like carrying props of any kind. But I think that they'd be something interesting to take photos with. However, using the poles for sword-fights? Distasteful, random cosplayer, distasteful.
crazdpastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #54
Fiddlesticks

I was raised in the United Kingdom and until I started interacting with American Hetalia fans online I had absolutely no idea that flag etiquette even existed. No-one I knew would even have thought twice about putting a flag on the ground or anything. It was just never a big deal to us. I might have lived in an isolated pocket of flag-haters, but that was just how it was for me.

But since I learned that people have a problem with this, I'm planning to be careful with my flag when my Liechtenstein cosplay is done. I don't know what flag etiquette rules are for Liechtenstein, but I don't see any reason not to at least keep it clean and in good condition just out of respect. So what I'm trying to say is, if you want to bring a flag (and I do, because I have this thing about flags - I could just stare at them all day), then it shouldn't be too difficult to treat it well even if it's not a major cultural thing for you to do so. I'm not going to stress over it, but I will keep it in mind.

And hey, if in doubt, just bring a small flag. Then you won't have to worry so much.
Fiddlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #55
Katemein

Hetalia cosplayer here. I know this topic is a little old, but I wanted to add a different view on this.

Personally, I don't carry a flag around. I did once for America and decided not to ever again. It was a small flag, maybe 8" x 12"...but it was a hassle to deal with and I don't like having to worry about offending someone with a prop.

Anyway, I don't see much point in carrying a flag. America is the only character in the series I can see flaunting one about anyway. It seems rather out-of-character for the other countries to be carrying their flags, no? Just my personal opinion.

^And this by no means is me saying America cosplayers should tote around flags. If you're going to carry any flag at a con, the American flag is the most risky. You're more likely to offend people if anything does happen to it.

Shuto Con
Otakon
Youmacon

2012 Cosplay List

America (Hetalia) Casual
Germany (Hetalia) Casual, Military
Human!Amaterasu (Okami) *Might be Otakon Only
Katemein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #56
IenzoRenaNipah

Just respect the flags. Please just do.

Last edited by IenzoRenaNipah : 02-24-2013 at 02:30 PM.
IenzoRenaNipah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #57
Hallanvaara

I have carried my United Kingdom flag around, but not anymore. It was hard to carry and I have started to think ''Why would I even need a flag?''. None of countries have (I might be mistaken but) carried their flag around in the series and so won't I. Like Katemein said, it would be a little out-of-character.

And how people threat flags depends very much on culture. I'm from Finland and this may be shocking, but flags aren't a big deal here. People would more likely watch like an idiot if you 'respect' a flag like Americans (not everyone of course, but you got the point?) do. It's quite normal to put the flag on the ground and sit on it, wear it as a cape, throw them around and if someone I don't know, spills their milkshakes on it the owner would most likely say ''Okay, give me five euros so I can go and buy a new one''. No big deal here.
Hallanvaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #58
Sehardt1

I am a America, England, Germany, and Sewden cosplayer. And I have large (the size you would hang from your house), medium (size you would put in your front yard), and small for each of those countries. Each size has its time and place. At larger cons (Katsucon, Otakon) were there is space to move around with the large flags is fine. But at small cons held in hotels not equipt with a convention center (T-mode, maybe Anime Mid-Atlantic) the smaller flags would be better. But this is somthing that I have learned over the many years that I have been have yet to cosplaying. Most Hetalia cosplayers are young and inexperianced so they have yet to learn about large props.
I use my flags as backdrops for photos, personal photoshoots, or a prop to hold when my character has nothing to hold. There have been times that they were on the ground because the pole fell when it was leaning on something or it slid of the surface that I placed it on and the polyester is slippery. When it does happen I try to mediately pick up the flag. I have yet to see Hetalia cosplayers to fight with the poles when the flag is on said pole, though I would not put it past some.
At most if not all of the photoshoots that I have attended or ran we gave clear rules about flags. 'No hitting people with the poles, not fighting with the flags still on the poles, no flag caps, and try to keep the flags off of the ground.' But then after the photoshoot, they can do what they please. And it is only a select few Hetalia cosplayers that might do such things to flags. The entire Hetalia cosplay community does not disrespect the flags. Just like every single fanbase in anime, movies, comics, TV shows, books, manga, and everything inbetween, there are a few bad apples that give a bad rap to the entire fanbase. Because people focus on the bad things that happen and imagine that everyone else in the fanbase does it as well. And that is never true.
Sehardt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #59
IenzoRenaNipah

If I have my Latvian flag with me, I treat it like it's my BABY. Seriously. If Hetalians are going to cosplay as a nation, they better know how to take care of a flag or I'll be flag-police (did it at AWA) "YOUR FLAG IS TOUCHING THE GROUND. RAISE IT HIGHER. DON'T WRITE ANYTHING ON IT. DON'T WEAR IT AS A CAPE OR BLANKET. Don't make me go Russia on you."
IenzoRenaNipah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #60
JelloTheFish
Define Awesome.

I feel like Hetalia plus cosplay always equals the Great Flag Debate. On a Hetequette blog, the majority decided that going by the American flag rules (especially in America) is best, even if it's stricter then the actual country's rules. That way you won't get people complaining and bugging you and you won't be worrying about disrespecting the flag. (You always should still look up the country's rules, just in case there's something like don't-ever-carry-it-around-especially-to-a-con hidden in there :P)

Personally, I don't find the big flags needed. Even when you roll the flag up or carry it high and careful, it still takes up room in crowded places. Especially escalators. Flags and escalators just don't work for some reason. The biggest fact is that most people don't respect the flags, and some quite frankly, don't care. These people are disrespecting not only the countries, but also the fandom. It's one of the main reasons I'm considering crawling back into the Hetalia closet...

tl;dr -> just have some respect okay?

Finished:
  • Black Rock Shooter

Sort of Working On:
  • Norway (2%)
  • Xerxes Break (10%)
  • Sharon Rainsworth (10%)
  • France (20%)

Planning:
  • Flandre Scarlet
  • Maru or Moro
JelloTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote