Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #121
KatyCruel

The Doctor Who fandom in my area is rather annoying mostly because they do Doctor Who...and nothing else. Like, they like other stuff, but Doctor Who is their only fandom, and most of them have never been to a con.

We had a Doctor Who costume party in our town around Halloween and with a couple of exceptions, it was very clear that most of them were entirely inexperienced in costuming and fandom'ing. (For example, this 14 year old boy dressed as the 11th Doctor hit on me awkwardly most of the night almost entirely because I was dressed as Amy Pond.)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #122
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Sadly it's always a couple of immature people that give a fandom a bad name. I have no problems with any fandom personally, to each their own.

Though, Homestuckers please don't try and glomp me when you're cosplaying a troll as I have no desire to have a costume ruined by you body paint (a friend of a friend bumped into a crowded hallway and got paint on their mostly white costume...they couldn't get it out). Thanks!
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #123
Tigersoul

I've not specifically encountered any of this (outside of some internet arguments) but I have an intertesting viewpoint to share...

Some series/movies/manga/etc dont have a fandom so much as a hatedom (or in some cases they have a large base of both) that is everyone who knows the work hates it. As mentioned above, the Twilight books/movies make a good case here: outside of their target demographic, almost everyone hates them (speeking in very general terms here). So you should know what you could be getting into before you get into it. Likewise some fandoms have a broken base where the series changed (or some fans think it should have changed) and part of the fandom likes it and part hates it (often happens when an anime follows the manga upto a point then diverges) While you can never know for sure which slice of the fandom you'll find yourself facing at a con, it's again good to be aware of massive rifts...

on a tangentially-related not it's disheartening to hear people saying the bronies are turning into idiots, given the motto "love and tolerance" (even if 2/3 of the fandom doesnt follow it) at least it looks like it's still minor enough that I dont have to worry about any troubles from my RD cosplay... (right?)

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #124
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 12:36 PM.
oreobunbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #125
Neko-hime

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreobunbun View Post
Please HS cosplayers (that are not considerate to others) SEAL YOUR BODYPAINT!! Just a quick sprinkle of baby power and you're go to go!!
Thisthisthisthisthisthis shall I go on? xD
If you don't seal it, it will get on everything. Including your own costume. Which does not look good. Dx Hotel staff also get really annoyed if they have to clean body paint off of everything...
I'm not a huge fan of Homestuck (read about half of the comic, it's just so long), but I love the character designs, so I'll be cosplaying it to Colossalcon this year... I'm hoping nothing terrifying happens, rofl. Most of the Homestucks I've met have been incredibly courteous and welcoming, though!
Neko-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #126
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

This forum came back and I have something to say about it now. o 7 o

A person isn't a bad person because they are in the fandom.
A person who has bad attributes just happened to be in the fandom.

...Or just carried away.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #127
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'll be honest. I got into Doctor Who during high school around when Martha was the companion. But as time goes on, I've begun to realize that everyone and their goldfish loves Doctor Who and they're not at all subtle about it. It's cool to be a fan, but... Please, my fangirl threshold is becoming markedly low.

And the personal bias of my Czeslaw cosplay being constantly mistaken for The 11th Doctor. I don't understand it. Does a brown coat and a bowtie really make it the same thing? Rageragewhinecomplain.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #128
Soratami
Yandere addict

As much as I love Kuroshituji...I believe some fans make it seem waaaaaay better than it really is. I'm kinda sick of seeing the cross-dressed Ciel in that pink dress everywhere. It's like everybody and their Grandma is wearing it.

Cosplay(s): Miyuki Takara(20%) - Lucky Star / Bakura Ryo(5%) - Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters/
Soratami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #129
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I never personally ran into any problems with the fandoms I am in outside of online, but people tend be act obnoxious online due to the anonymity behind it or don't see it as a big deal as in isn't in person (that that can said about online in general).

Offline, I hadn't really met other fans due to the area I am in and how small some of the fandoms are and most of the ones I met online had been nice so far (well at least to me anyways).

I'm sure every fandom, no matter how big or small, will have those obnoxious fans that stands out as well as those nice and or more mature/well behaved fans.

Though I don't really see how skill level of others cosplayers or how certain costumes that are more worn really make fans/fandom annoying. Not everyone is a professional or have a lot of time, money or know how to sew (some might just be new to cosplay or the series and putting them down might discourage them. Isn't the point really to have fun and show your love? Not every enters competitions) and though it might be nice to see other costumes, some people just like certain characters or outfits more.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #130
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Anyone yelling out at a con anything that gets over-yelled.

"MARCO....... POLO!.....MARCO!.......POLO!....... MARCOPOLOMARCOPOLOMARCOPOLO" OKAY WE GET IT. -_-

"What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME" isn't so bad.....yet. I heard that yelled maybe twice or three times at Anime Boston, but they are PLAGUED with Marco Polo.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #131
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post

"MARCO....... POLO!.....MARCO!.......POLO!....... MARCOPOLOMARCOPOLOMARCOPOLO" OKAY WE GET IT. -_-

"What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME" isn't so bad.....yet. I heard that yelled maybe twice or three times at Anime Boston, but they are PLAGUED with Marco Polo.
TBH the only acceptable yelling I have personally heard at a con was... someone cosplaying Black✰Star who did his whooping holler a few times in the dealers hall. It wasn't constant though and it was hilarious that they asked him to stop over the loud speakers and he just screamed that he was going to surpass God.
But like. If people CONTINUE to annoy others it's just. Bothersome no matter what fandom it's from.
And I agree with the above that most of the bad fans come out online. I had to quit RPing in the Kuroshitsuji fandom just from the drama. I got mad hate for having hetero ships that apparently got in the way of their pedo stuff. I don't really mind what you ship as long as you don't bitch at others. I don't really mind what you cosplay as long as you leave everyone alone.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #132
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post

This might be a strange question as I only been to one small convention, but why were people Marco Polo at a con? I am a bit confused by that. Was it part of a game?

I can see how yelling really loud often can get annoying though.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #133
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_kitsune View Post
This might be a strange question as I only been to one small convention, but why were people Marco Polo at a con? I am a bit confused by that. Was it part of a game?

I can see how yelling really loud often can get annoying though.
That's the ONLY reason they do it: to be annoying. They get bored and decide to walk around yelling "Marco Polo" or various memes just to be dickwads. It was one of the reasons I was ready to leave Otakon a few years ago by Saturday afternoon.
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #134
patriciarakel

For me, the only fandoms that I've ever had a problem with (cosplay wise, and at conventions, at least) were Hetalia and Homestuck. I understand that there are a lot of really awesome people in both of these fandoms. Hell, almost everyone I know who cosplays is into one or the other or both. My own sister has cosplayed countless characters from each. So I know that there are good people. But with any extremely popular fandom, there will be bad apples. Or, as my before-mentioned sister puts it, "That one guy who whips his dick out at the party." Hetalia isn't near as bad as it was at its peak. But I remember going to AKon a few years ago and going to the rave, and one of my friends came up to us holding the back of her head in pain, and when we asked what happened, she told us that there was a Hungary cosplayer with a cast-iron skillet swinging it around and whacked her with it. It honestly scared me away from the entire fandom, even though everyone tells me that I would love Hetalia, since I love history so much. Homestuck's been calming down, too, but I still hear about the people in the fandom who go out of their way to be jerks to others and ruin merch by getting their unsealed body paint over everything and run around like they're the best thing in the world. I try to stay away from the bulk of both fandoms now. I'm fine with my friends cosplaying from them and being in the fandoms. I won't be rude or cruel to people from the fandoms. And even though I know there's far more light than dark, I still have a problem with the dark being so much louder in some circles.
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #135
MysticRouge

Homestuck. I'm in the fandom and I think it's awful. Try having a good 85% percent of a fandom LAUGH at you because you found the latest update problematic and insulting. They literally told the other side of the fandom to get over it and stop being so sensitive.

Last edited by MysticRouge : 01-14-2013 at 12:31 AM.
MysticRouge is offline   Reply With Quote