Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 01-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualRemix View Post
I do not understand why my post keeps getting deleted here but I have a D800. If you are on a budget, my recommended lens are:

Nikkor 28mm 1.8
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Nikkor 85mm 1.8

There are tips and tricks you must know to get the most out of your D800 and I will post them if you want.
I'm really liking the 28mm f1.8 I picked up a while back. It's great for cramped convention halls on full-frame. I also have the 85 f1.8, but haven't yet done much with it. That seems like a solid list. I'd also suggest the 50mm f1.8 if the OP wants to save $250 or so because I've have great results with it.

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
VisualRemix

I pretty much use this list as a guide as to whether or not the Nikkor 1.4 series justifies it's price difference against the Nikkor 1.8 series in terms of resolving power to get the full 36 megapixels of the D800.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...lens-selection

According to that list, the 28mm is indeed worth it's money alone, considering how it does very well when compared to every other lens in the price range.

The only difference I see is "bokeh" and that extra 2/3 of a stop for extra light. The 1.8 series really outshines the 1.4 series when shot wide open. It doesn't suffer as much chromatic abberation and is alot sharper until stopped down to 2.8 and lower.

Also, one of the tricks to shooting with the D800 is nailing that ISO 100. It's rated at 14evs stops of Dynamic Range at ISO 100. I think the only real competitors around the same price range are the 5DMk3 at 12evs, and the BMCC at 13evs.
VisualRemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Archer View Post
Only problem, of course, is focusing accurately on a 1.4 tele through a modern DSLR finder. I shot a set with a friend's Zeiss 100, and he had a magnifying eyepiece that I was able to borrow since we both have D3 variants, and the eyepiece made all the difference in the world. I'm not sure if they're available for Canon or for square-eyepiece Nikons though. (Although the D800 has the same round eyepiece as the D3/4s, I think.)
I've gotten reasonably good at manually focusing using Live View and zooming in on the LCD - as long as the subject isn't moving too much.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualRemix View Post
I do not understand why my post keeps getting deleted here but I have a D800. If you are on a budget, my recommended lens are:

Nikkor 28mm 1.8
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Nikkor 85mm 1.8

There are tips and tricks you must know to get the most out of your D800 and I will post them if you want.
I don't think it's you. There is a "bug" with certain words that triggers posting issues. Ask TykeJack about his frustrations...
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
VisualRemix

Ah man. That explains it. I was getting errors trying to post my reply. Was getting really frustrated finding out that I couldn't post after typing out a lengthy response.

On the other hand, if you're using a D800, try to keep your ISO at 100. This way you'll utilize it's potential 14 stops of dynamic range. Which is a lot for any DSLR in the price and grade range.
VisualRemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
icemanx62

35mm 1.4 G
icemanx62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
I've gotten reasonably good at manually focusing using Live View and zooming in on the LCD - as long as the subject isn't moving too much.
The big problem I've had with that is that you can't really compose when zoomed in, and with like an 85 1.4, once you zoom out and recompose there's a pretty good chance the camera has moved enough to knock the subject out of that razor thin depth of field.

Plus shooting with a DSLR and lens out at arms' length never feels anywhere near natural to me.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote