Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #46
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

PFT. JUST DON'T. Cosplay whatever you like!! YAy!

I've seen bunch of Sailor Moon (new series is coming this year btw), Ranma, and Card Captor Sakura. It's nice to have memories flooding back.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #47
trmbngrl
Britt

Ohh god this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.
Some NON-cosplayers will get mad at you if you cosplay from a show that's a few years old. According to ELG. This is why I never go there. It's full of idiots. As if shows and the ability to cosplay expires!!! AHA
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #48
belligerent
Viking Metal

Didn't my little pony end in the 80's?

I also don't really understand the logic behind "well that show is over so you can't cosplay it anymore." Usually there's still a fandom for that show and enough people that even if you only like cosplaying in groups, you will still probably find enough people to do it with you.

Now, movies I am more understanding of, since they're more one-shot flash in the pan kind of things (unless they're a series of movies), and their popularity usually dies down a lot more quickly. Like for instance, I really doubt we'll be seeing Onceler cosplayers this summer and I'm not sure that planning a Wreck it Ralph photoshoot for the end of this year will be as successful as it would have been a month after the movie...but if you enjoy that character, and your own enthusiasm has not died down, do not let the potential lack of enthusiasm others may have in cosplaying it to prevent you from doing so.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #49
Tigersoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Didn't my little pony end in the 80's?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...endshipIsMagic

Yes and No. The series has had 4 reboots since then with mixed success. If you want to be technical, yes, the original series did end, but the Franchise keeps getting revived since it's so profitable (roughly every 7 years - when the kids who grew up watching it are old enough to start having kids themselves) Though the current (4th iteration) has been the most popular due to a severe revamp of the series from writing to animation and the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
I also don't really understand the logic behind "well that show is over so you can't cosplay it anymore." Usually there's still a fandom for that show and enough people that even if you only like cosplaying in groups, you will still probably find enough people to do it with you.
Amusing little story...
When I was younger I loved a series called TaleSpin. Recently I took a trip down memory lane and did some research to try and find old episodes for nostaligia's sake (and for the record the series has aged remarkably well) and found out there is *STILL* a large fandom for the show, which ended in the 90s (and I'm not even going into anime, some of those fandoms are as old as the medium itself, even older if we count manga)

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #50
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

Thats like saying don't cosplay something that isn't popular.
How many series are still running when you go to your con. Are you making your cosplay in a week or something? for me technically it's not Ended here[in the USA] because it never even started so everything is fair game.

some times that older anime cosplay will make someones day :3
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "
Next Convention: Otakon

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Peach Maki --
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Human luna Maid version
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Felicia - darkstalkers yes I want to try again
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #51
belligerent
Viking Metal

LOL yes I know it's been rebooted a few times. I was born in '82. It was a philosophical question. If they're telling you it ended, it did. And when it ends, in another five years they'll make a new one.

TaleSpin has aged well mainly because it was spearheaded by one guy who put a lot of work and love into the worldbuilding, and because it was handled well by generally mature writers who didn't try to shove in pop culture references where they weren't needed. I still think that the episode with the ghost pirate guy is one of the most poignant things I've seen done with American "afternoon" cartoons.

But it still has a relatively big fandom because: furries.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #52
PurpleLeafX3

well that's stupid..some of the best animes are ended a long time ago! Death Note for example...in every covnention I see at least 10 DN cosplayers and 1 or 2 casts...
I have this weird thing, I can only watch one anime at once, and I only watch animes who already ended cuz I don't wanna wait every week for new ep to come out (I know it's stupid but I have troubles focusing otherwise / . And besides, cosplay whoever you like! It's not about when the anime ended it's about you cosplaying someone you love
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #53
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLeafX3 View Post
I have this weird thing, I can only watch one anime at once, and I only watch animes who already ended cuz I don't wanna wait every week for new ep to come out (I know it's stupid but I have troubles focusing otherwise /
This is random but I just have to say that I do exactly the same thing for the same reasons. So you are not the only one!

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #54
uzuki54

That person needs to get their head screwed on. There's nothing wrong with cosplaying from any series just because it's ended. For one thing, they aren't considering that not everyone gets into a series while it's still ongoing. Does that mean they aren't allowed to cosplay a character they like? BS to that I say. (Is only just starting to read the Inuyasha manga; not that there's anyone from it I want to cosplay... yet at least)

Being an older/ended series doesn't mean it doesn't deserve some love. Quite recently, I located and watched most of the episodes of that Mighty Ducks cartoon that I had seen as a kid. I intend, once I have way more experience making costumes, to try my hand at a human-version of one of the Ducks. If someone tried to tell me that I can't because the series is ended, I'd tell them where they can shove their opinion.

Cosplay is about having fun dressing up as a character you like. If you don't like a certain character/ongoing series, why take the time/effort/money to make the outfit (barring if you're doing it because you're going as part of a group, that's understandable)

Ai-Kon

Cosplays in progress

Female Red Mage (FF1)

Team Rocket Grunt/or Phantom Renegade
uzuki54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #55
Soratami
Yandere addict

That's it. This just means we need some Astro boy cosplayers.

Cosplay(s): Miyuki Takara(20%) - Lucky Star / Bakura Ryo(5%) - Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters/
Soratami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #56
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

Gah! Why is that every forum I've been to lately keeps proving to me just how stupid people are. There is nothing on earth wrong with cosplaying from series that are ending or that have ended. That shouldn't even be a factor in your decision if you like the character enough to want to make a costume in the first place.
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #57
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

wow seriously? I just cosplayed Yuki Judai to a local anime club yesterday o_O big deal <,<
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #58
Smoong
Fairy Tail Guild Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soratami View Post
That's it. This just means we need some Astro boy cosplayers.
This. I'm totally dressing up my husband as Astro Boy now. And no, he won't have any say in the matter.
San Japan

Our Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SsCosplay

My deviantART!
Smoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #59
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

The reason why cosplaying as a certain character is different for everyone; but a rule for cosplaying as a character from an anime that ended is just plain wrong and stupid. It's like saying we can't cosplay as someone from a video game because everyone's progress in a video game is different. To me, both anime and video games are never considered the end.

I am not going to watch a new anime every season so just I can cosplay as a character because the show hasn't ended. That is a waste of time.

Besides, I love seeing my childhood and favorite characters cosplayed since it shows that it's still alive.

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #60
pinkkiller

I really do wonder if the person had an ulterior motive telling you that...

Like, I could understand the argument ("You wont get enough attention!" - eh, some people cosplay for attention, whatever) if we were talking about, say, something like Urusei Yatsura, or Cat's Eye - y'know, stuff that the new generation of fans might not know or recognise at first glance. But for something that might end in the near future, that's ridiculous.
Not to mention that there will be probably still tons of MLP cosplayers for quite some time, so it's not like doing a popular series is a surefire way to get a lot of attention.

Even then, lot's of old series are still popular and how would that argument even hold up against movies or video games? Those things end right after they're released, so by that logic they would never cosplay anything from these?

There is a difference between being relevant and still running.
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote