Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 01-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Nikachurawr

Exclamation Help Need Pattern For Long Coat

So, I'm trying to cosplay as black rock shooter.
And I need a pattern to make her long coat.
I got my fabric I just don't know what pattern to use....
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Unread 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

It would help if you posted a reference photo. Please don't assume that everyone knows the character, or that they'll go do the work to look up your character for you.

There's an "Introduction to pattern" tutorial stickied at the top of the sewing/fabric craft forum. It's a good place to start. It provides the websites to the most common commercial pattern-makers in the US; they have most of their pattern catalogs online that you can browse to find what you are looking for.

Nearly every commercially-available pattern comes with a description of how much material is needed to make the garment. If you don't have a pattern yet, how did you know how much fabric to buy? If you're lucky, you over-bought, and have way more material than you need. If you're not lucky, you under-bought, and you'll come up short on material requirements. In that case, cross your fingers that you can get more of the exact same material - otherwise, it won't match.

Good luck!

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013

Last edited by Syagria : 01-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
JelloTheFish
Define Awesome.

Hey, I'm actually making a Black Rock Shooter cosplay too. I made my own pattern- I'd actually start by buying a type of "pattern paper." I'm not quite sure what it's called, but it's a cheap fabric that is easy to write on.

I made my pattern around five pieces- two sleeves, a back, and two front pieces. My sleeve pattern is based off this tutorial: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/786...tern/page/all/
The base of my coat is based off a fitted jacket that I own, and I just extended the bottom of the coat down to about my calves. Make sure to take careful measurements and draw careful lines! It's pretty easy if you have a jacket, but otherwise measure your shoulders, waist, basically everything.

The hood I'm not too sure about, but I think it'd be pretty easy to just Google that.

Hope I helped!
JelloTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
R1212

Try using the Simplicity pattern for the Matrix coat (pattern # 5386) and either free hand the hood shape or use (pattern # 5794 Hood A) ignore the collar on the long coat and applique the star on the back and front-I don't remember if there is one on the front or not. It's a simple coat to make, I use this pattern for almost all of my long coats.
R1212 is offline   Reply With Quote