Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #5101
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
I thought QI told me that Eskimo was actually the more politically correct term rather than Inuit? Steven Fry wouldn't lie to me would he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
As Stephen Fry is frequently full of shit, yes, yes he would.
Well that solves that, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
For a moment, I thought I was on Tumblr and searched for the mention of "priviledge" on here as a matter of habit.
Yo dawg I heard you liked privilege so I put some privilege in yo' privilege so you can privilege while you privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
It sure as hell isn't the case in Canada (where we also have more than the US due to more arctic land). The term for the two is also extremely different- eskimo derived from various southern native languages that meant "raw meat eaters", "they speak a different language" and "snowshoe wearers" (depending on the area). It has zero matching with the actual names of Subarctic and arctic tribes. Inuit, however, is the actual name of a sizeable amount of the population (and Inuit/Inupiat are the majority in Canada- aleuts and Yupiks , which are not Inuit and ddon't usually call themselves Inuit, are more in the Alaska area- and there they tend to just use "Native Alaskan" or "Aboriginal"), which means "The People" in Inuktitut. Which is what they've always referred to themselves as, not names coined by other tribes or Europeans.

And to top that off, the Canadian government DOES NOT use the word "Eskimo". It is Inuit on all documents, treaties, constitutions, etc. If you call Inuit Eskimo here it's usually considered extremely insulting.
Maybe being that I am so close to Canada, many kids learned here that 'Eskimo' isn't really appropriate. I remember being pretty young when I started to realize that the term wasn't really 'okay' and knew to use 'Inuit'.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #5102
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

So, I've waited about 14 days for MoneyPak to "send me my refund" only to be told "Oh, I'm sorry but did you count calandar days or Business days only? We ONLY count Business days so you just probably need to wait longer." I had to wait 3-5 minutes for that person, only to be told also that they need to transfer me as I was sent to a "re-load your card" place. I'm cool, then I wait and what happens?

Dude: Hello, I'll be serving you today, my name is Vin/Ben (Whatever his name since he didn't really have a good attitude) may I have the last digits of your Social Se-
Me: What?
Dude: May I have the last four digits of your social security number *repeats like 3-4 times when I only asked once, and he even cut me off when I was trying to talk, me annoyed by them*
Me: *thinking: Fuck you, the company never said they'd ask for that, wanting so badly to hang up on the ass* :/ I'm sorry, but WHAT? Social Security? Last I checked it was your MoneyPak Number.
Dude: Oh. Oops. I meant your MoneyPak number.
Me: :/ *through with this guy, stumbling on the number but get it*
Dude: What? I'm sorry but repeat that your line is breaking up
*just hangs freaking up since I hate his attitude, and not wanting to just yell at him*

I'm thinking of calling again, but more I'm HOPING that I won't get my grandparents mad at me tonight if I asked them if for my Birthday they could give me the 200 they gave me for that as a replacement. Since I haven't told them about the company scamming me 250, and knowing my grandfather since he doesn't use technology he is going to say how I shouldn't have trusted anything online and yeah. Hoping I can still get the money but at this point I'm going to need to threaten to Sue.
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #5103
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Tonight a member of my robotics team kept throwing the term "rape" around a lot in describing him consenting to kiss a stranger after I kindly told him to not use that word in such a manner. Several times.

No.

No.

NO.

Of the handful of things that tick me off, this is one of the biggest things that tick me off.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #5104
Amanita

I've been in security for ten freaking years. I'm getting tired of it. I've had some heroic moments (working through Hurricane Juan, chasing off wannabe thieves, being the first to call in a fire on the roof of the building I was working in, even before people across the street saw it) But the truth is, security guards don't get a lot of respect. We get a fuckton of responsibility, and if anything happens, we're the first to get the blame. But we're really not allowed to make the most basic of judgement calls- even opening a door for a physically challenged tenant who's struggling with the recently reconfigured front door lock is technically a no-no)

So we have all the responsibility, yet very little real empowerment or authority. And in many cases, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. And ironically, for a job titled "security", it can be rather insecure indeed. I spent a lot of 2012 getting pitiful hours, after my full time jobsite ended, and there was nowhere to send me to afterward. So I burned up every bit of money I had saved, just trying to keep my nose above water. And there's the very real possibility that some mistake on our part, or an exaggerated complaint from some malcontent or gossip could see us kicked off of a site, losing our income.

Needless to say, I am getting to the point where I want out. The worry isn't worth the lousy pay. Dunno where I would go, though- retail has all the same problems of security, magnified epically. Sitting in an office isn't where I want to be either. I'm a genuine creative, but trying to make a living at that- I'm already tired of poverty-level pay as it is.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #5105
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Not...nearly as major as most of these but....
It's 'effing January and I feel like I'm roasting alive. I can't figure out how to sleep or function normally like this. What in the hell is going on with this weather. At this rate, it's going to be snowing in April.
Some "winter" this is.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #5106
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

Good, I need to vent.

So I have these friends that has this writing group that is open to everyone that joins and includes all fandoms and original works. Great right? No, they have been basically ignoring me and my work, hardly even say anything about it, not even a good and helpful critique, they all discuss other's works and collab together and I am often left out. I tried working with them and offering free requests, but I had it. So I just been ignoring their stuff now as I don't even feel like reading it anymore, much less want to say anything about like I used to. I just feel bad and depressed and unconfidant about my work now.

Than a friend I know in real life though hadn't seen in years and just got back in contact about a year ago has just been annoying and offensive lately, she changed a lot. I know she has been going through a lot, but that doesn't give her the right to put other people's opinions/views/beliefs down. And when I said that was she posted on online was offensive and not funny. Instead saying she was sorry and would try to be more considerate, she yells at me and tells me to just block or delete her of facebook and tumblr than. OK, really? This is how people treat their friends now? Friday I ended up getting into an argument with her because I said a post that someone wrote really wasn't necessary and it didn't even have anything to do with her. I don't like her online friends either. One was I decided to watch on tumblr but unwatched less than a week due to her attitude towards me and once again, all I did was a make a comment that what a post said was rude and offensive towards others and not necessary and wasn't aimed at them yet again.

People are just driving me insane, I can't handle them anymore. Seems like nothing is going my way or have any good luck.

Problems with health, problems with people, etc....

Edit-Another rant, but I didn't want to make a new post.

This time it is about my mom. I am tired of how she treats me at times. This time she was yelling about my attitude. I wasn't cursing, I didn't say anything mean, nasty, sarcastic. All I did was said I was a bit disappointed about something I wanted to start this one project as soon as possible, but have to wait to get something I needed (some stuff just came in the mail) and didn't really want to work on some other stuff (this isn't stuff I am getting paid for or anything, so it isn't like it really mattered if I did them or not, just more of a personal hobbies and what I wanted to work on is actually something I want to done before July and it is going to be time consuming and the longer I wait, the less time I have. July seems like months away, but I have multiple stuff going on).

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra

Last edited by chibi_kitsune : 01-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #5107
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I need to vent for a minute.

I am freaking out worrying whether or not I will get to keep my shitty retail job after the 26th. I was hired as seasonal, and I have been trying so hard to impress them so they will keep me. I cant afford to lose it, as lame as it is. It took me 5 months to find it and I am not looking forward to going through that endless cycle of submitting resumes, calling in, being told "they will be contacting people in a few days" and then never getting a call or a straight answer, and THEN being bitched at by my dad and his girlfriend for "not trying hard enough".

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #5108
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

The DMV is taking too long to renew my tags. We ordered them in December and they still haven't cashed the check. Luckily, my semester doesn't start until next week so I haven't needed to drive yet but I'm starting to doubt I'll be getting it on time. I know the DMV is slow but this is way too slow, even for them.
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #5109
esclarmonde

Just discovered there are some major troubles for getting the apartment where my boyfriend and I will go live linked to the phone/internet. Since mobiles have no reception there (it's an hold house with wall made of stones) and I havo to use the phone and internet a lot for my job, until it's solved we can't move. The phone company has 4 months to solve it until we can do anything.

It's not a big problem, but it's very annoying because everything else is ready and we'll start paying bills from this month, while we can't live there.
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #5110
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

what really pisses me off is that most of the forums are run by the clique that only will allow fellow member's of the clique to post. if anyone has a problem or post something they don't like they all attack that person. as i know they will when i post this but im sick of this.
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #5111
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
what really pisses me off is that most of the forums are run by the clique that only will allow fellow member's of the clique to post. if anyone has a problem or post something they don't like they all attack that person. as i know they will when i post this but im sick of this.
Said the guy who everyone pulled together and tried to help when he was having girlfriend trouble.

You know where the door is, Neko. What are you waiting for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #5112
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:

There is no conspiracy against you. You just act shitty and then you can't handle being called out on it. People here dislike you because of you, not because of some "clique."
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #5113
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
There is no conspiracy against you. You just act shitty and then you can't handle being called out on it. People here dislike because of you, not because of some "clique."
if i act nice i get ignored or get called on for something i did not say right. do you know what it feels like to post somewhere and be on topic and what everyone is talking about and have the thread die right there? i just feel like everyone avoids me. there are people on here who act much worse than i do and they get away with it only because they have lots of friends on here . i don't really know what to say because it might sound like complaining so ill just end it here.

Last edited by kuroki-neko : 01-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.
kuroki-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #5114
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I think you are being overdramatic and immature. Whining about something so petty is likely why people have been iffy about you.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #5115
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

Quote:
Rambling pity party

I'm still new here, but I am going to share my unsolicited opinion. Most of the time, I cannot even read your posts due to the lack of punctuation and capitalization. Furthermore, if I can manage to read your mess, it doesn't make any sort of logical sense. You bring your girl drama and plaster it all over the forum like its everyones business. And you whine.

We all make mistakes, but whether or not you are able to see and fix your problems is more important. If you are called out, instead of painting yourself as the victim, why not ask "how did I create this situation? How can I improve?"

Life is a bitch, and people are even bitchier. Learn to cope.

/end rant
And all at once, I know everything is gone
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote