Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
AtomicKitten

Big Sister Cosplay

After playing Bioshock 1 and 2, I became extremely interested in the Big Sister. I'd like to create my own cosplay for Big Sister, but having little experience in everything related to creating cosplay, I need some help. I go to events I've just never done any dressing up aside from Misty from pokemon All help would be extremely appreciated! If you can help me, please let me know as soon as possible!

https://www.2kgames.com/cultofraptur.../bigsister.jpg
AtomicKitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
PepMaster

I see a lot of leather, plastic, and some paper mache in there. Let's start with the head. take a large beach ball, paper mache it. pop the ball inside and make a hole for your head to go in as well as the holes for the part to see out from and other areas.

Resin the head and apply bondo or another coating material to get the details on the head. As for the tank on the back that might take you a bit of sourcing to find something similar. For the frame on the back first check with sign shops to see if they have any scrap sintra most of the time you can get that stuff fairly cheap or free, if not order it.

You can also use some of it for making the armor I see on the forearms, the neckpiece, leg braces and the shoulder. For the colored syringes, you can look at some of the stores in your area to see if they have one of those big enough if not the you can definatly get them without the needle off a place like eBay. fill with dyed liquid and seal the tubes to prevent leaking.

That's about as best as I can help at this point.
PepMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Welcome to the boards! Hopefully you'll find useful information.

This is a very complex cosplay, so you've got your work cut out for you. To be completely honest, I would suggest another, simpler cosplay if you're just starting out, to learn a little bit and get accustomed to tools and techniques. However, don't let me deter you if you really, really want to make it. Just be aware that it is a lot to handle.

My first suggestion is to read up on as many tutorials as you can on different materials and techniques, to figure out what you can work with. Cosplays require materials, time, money, etc, so it helps to know as much as possible beforehand to save on all those commodities. Also, gather as much research and reference as possible. The reference you posted is good, but also try to find large, hi-res scans to get all the details, and try different views to see every little detail.

Here's what I'd do:

First, I'd break the suit into different parts. I find tackling parts individually helps it not feel like such a daunting task. I'd break it into:

Helmet/neck
Tank and cage on her back
Undersuit, Corset and shorts
Gauntlets
Leg braces

As you've stated you're inexperienced, I'll try to find the cheapest, easiest ways to do things. Keep in mind, better materials may obtain better results, but for now, I'll try to keep it as simple and easy as possible.

HELMET/NECK:
I agree with the other post. Paper mache a large ball shape (beach ball would work) with a sufficient coating, pop the ball, and pull it out. The paper mache may be reinforced with fiberglass resin/mat (fiberglass is basically the same procedure as paper mache, but with fiberglass resin+mat/cloth versus glue+newspaper). Cut a window and use some clear plastic w/ red translucent paint or red cellophane.

The neck attachment on the bottom of the helmet can be made with craft foam or EVA foam matting for flexibility. Sealed and painted, you can simulate metal pretty well.

TANK and CAGE:
The cage can be wire or thin metal strips, bent into place and attached in a cone shape, with ribbons tied to each vertice. For the tank, you'd want something lightweight, so you may be able to use a cardboard cement tube (used to form cement posts) cutting it to size. Details can be made with paper mache, foam, etc

UNDERSUIT/CORSET/SHORTS:
I lump these together since it looks like these are more sewing-based. Obviously, you'll need to sew these elements, or find ways to create them, whether its buying them, commissioning someone to make them, altering existing clothing, etc. I assume all the brown areas are leather. For the straps all over the suit, you can try using real leather to fabricate them, or simulating the look with pleather, fabric over foam, or sealed foam to simulate leather. I wouldn;t suggest foam for the corset or shorts, those should be actual fabric (you can still use the pleather instead of real leather)

GAUNTLETS:
Probably craft foam attached to fabric armbands. Add straps, details, etc using foam, leather, or actual metal bits. The colored vials of liquid can be plastic tubes. You can use toy plastic knives or make some out of foam, and PVC pipe for the rod/barrel on her left arm (is it some sort of gun?)

LEG BRACES:
Looks like a lot of straps and buckles. You can make these with actual belts, with foam, or some other kind of material. The metal braces on the sides can be made with thin plastic or aluminum to give it the rigidity of simulated metal.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
AtomicKitten

Wow thank you to both of you that was a lot of useful information. I'm not in a huge rush to make it, I'll definitely be taking my time with this one and I'm kind of a perfectionist so having little experience won't really deter me from trying something big like this All I need is help like this and advice on how to do things, so thank you very much and any other information is really appreciated !!
AtomicKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

You might get in touch with cosplayer Layla Antagonist, who did Big Sister at Dragon*Con:

http://www.facebook.com/AntagonisticCosplay

DragonCon_20120901_3016.jpg by nathancarter, on Flickr

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote