Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Sakura Con

Unread 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #31
Kimchi_Kutie93

Yes! The ball is so much fun! but you gotta get in line early! Otherwise the wait is gonna take FOREVER!!!

And Im most likely gonna be Princess Celestia for the ball
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
trmbngrl
Britt

I've never gone to the ball myself. Seems like there are too many rules on the dress, and it's not ACTUALLY a ballroom dance. I do ballroom dancing and ugh I'm not wearing a big beautiful dress to GRIND, ya know?
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #33
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi_Kutie93 View Post
Yes! The ball is so much fun! but you gotta get in line early! Otherwise the wait is gonna take FOREVER!!!

And Im most likely gonna be Princess Celestia for the ball
I'm glad I did that last year and it was my first time. Been doing that since Fanime's B&W Ball used to be notorious for that couple year's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmbngrl View Post
I've never gone to the ball myself. Seems like there are too many rules on the dress, and it's not ACTUALLY a ballroom dance. I do ballroom dancing and ugh I'm not wearing a big beautiful dress to GRIND, ya know?
The only dress code I'm not a big fan of is the mask part. Mask what I had to wear at the Masquerade Ball is kind of irritating. But at least there's mask making workshop. You at least do something semi formal. I tend to like to dance with dance partner not in poofy gowns for East Coast swing since they're much easier to dance with and go all out.
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer

Last edited by OniCourseMusha : 01-12-2013 at 03:25 PM.
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #34
trmbngrl
Britt

But do they actually DO swing and tango and waltzes? I've heard it's just like a regular dance for most of it with... masks and dresses.
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #35
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
But do they actually DO swing and tango and waltzes? I've heard it's just like a regular dance for most of it with... masks and dresses.
From what I heard from friends, the SC one is ACTUALLY formal and stuff..With good music (as in appropriate music).
Akicon however had people in shorts, no masks, and was playing pop music and it was more like a high school dance..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #36
Kimchi_Kutie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
From what I heard from friends, the SC one is ACTUALLY formal and stuff..With good music (as in appropriate music).
Akicon however had people in shorts, no masks, and was playing pop music and it was more like a high school dance..
Dude, i was the dj at Akicon. And sorry if the music wasnt "appropriate" But thats what the mc and the rest of the team wanted and it was a majority rule thing
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #37
The~Wind
The Staffing Cosplayer

Quote:
Maybe a few years ago. But my assistant and I took over before the 2011 convention and we've really worked to turn the Masquerade Ball's reputation around.

My assistant, he does more work on the Ball than I do, chooses a lot of the music. He prefers swing (his favorite dance style), salsa... Things with a great beat, so there will be a lot of that in the play list we have. We also do try to vary it with jazz, waltz, swing, salsa, some more modern music (less than five songs the whole night). We don't take requests, but we always do take suggestions. And we are always looking to expand our music selections too.

If you do have any questions, feel free to drop us an e-mail at masquerade@sakuracon.org

Our current theme for the 2013 year is up on the Sakura-Con website, along with the dress code for this year. I would also like to notify people that within the next week or so, we should have the Dance Host application up. It's a great way to enjoy the ball, especially since we hit capacity so early last year (and didn't expect it).

Don't be shy about asking us (or even me here) things. We'll always try and get back to you within a timely manner.

-Amanda

Emerald City Comic Con - Cinderella, Pepper Potts
Sakura-Con - Ariel
Kumoricon - Kristoff, Luna, Lady Thor, Pepper Potts

You have enemies? Good? That means you've stood up for something in your life.
---Winston Churchill
The~Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #38
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi_Kutie93 View Post
Dude, i was the dj at Akicon. And sorry if the music wasnt "appropriate" But thats what the mc and the rest of the team wanted and it was a majority rule thing
I'm not saying it was your fault as the DJ. I know it wasn't. Pretty much everything about Aki was a mess..That whole con was completely terrible..I didn't actually GO to the dance, and I'm glad I didn't..My roomie went and hated it, and me and my group were were right outside waiting for someone and had to actually MOVE because we didn't wanna listen to it. Staff shouldn't have called it a "masqurade" if it WASN'T even going to BE one..It just shows that they have NO clue how to run anything and that they shouldn't even be doing this sorta thing..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #39
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Wind View Post
Maybe a few years ago. But my assistant and I took over before the 2011 convention and we've really worked to turn the Masquerade Ball's reputation around.

My assistant, he does more work on the Ball than I do, chooses a lot of the music. He prefers swing (his favorite dance style), salsa... Things with a great beat, so there will be a lot of that in the play list we have. We also do try to vary it with jazz, waltz, swing, salsa, some more modern music (less than five songs the whole night). We don't take requests, but we always do take suggestions. And we are always looking to expand our music selections too.

If you do have any questions, feel free to drop us an e-mail at masquerade@sakuracon.org

Our current theme for the 2013 year is up on the Sakura-Con website, along with the dress code for this year. I would also like to notify people that within the next week or so, we should have the Dance Host application up. It's a great way to enjoy the ball, especially since we hit capacity so early last year (and didn't expect it).

Don't be shy about asking us (or even me here) things. We'll always try and get back to you within a timely manner.

-Amanda
Hmmmm.... I might go then.
I really DO like actual ballroom and swing dancing (since I'm a performer in a lot of big bands I always get jealous seeing people dance) so yay!
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #40
Venciel Links

I'm going, I haven't been to one before so it will be fun! I don't have a date but I think I'm going to still dress up all fancy and girly and stuff! (I do NOT dress up often so this is out of my element) xD
Venciel Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #41
LiebeSelbstmord
Charming Devil Cosplay

I'll definitely be going! I look forward to showing off my mad dance skillz lol! My forte is swing dancing but I do know some waltz and am planning on learning some salsa by con time as well. I'm a girl but I'll be cosplaying as Formal!Rin Okumura just cuz I'm horrible at being all girly and stuff (me and dresses don't particularly get along...) Anywhosies, so anyone too shy to dance without a date, feel free to ask! I'm generally pretty friendly. ^_^

Aki Con 2014:
Mikasa Ackerman - Attack on Titan (90%)
Holo - Spice & Wolf (90%)
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (50%)
Sasuke Uchiha - Naruto Shippuden (100%)

Sakura Con 2015:
Sai - Naruto Shippuden (50%)
Sasuke Uchiha - Naruto Shippuden (100%)
Rosette - Chrono Crusade (0%)
Kouga - Inuyasha (30%)
LiebeSelbstmord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #42
Venciel Links

Quote:
I hope so! I was really disappointed at Kuroneko con's masquerade when it was just a dance with 'club' music with masks and dresses. : /
Venciel Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #43
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
but it was fun~ :3

Quote:
It was that way when I went in 2011 and 2012. It's pretty boring unless you have a dance partner, though, or aren't super shy about asking other people to dance.
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #44
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

Just to clarify things since I attended the Masquerade Ball last year. Yes there's Waltz, Tango, Swing dance, Etc. There's like so many people out there that are willing to dance with you that you shouldn't feel afraid about. I just taught people how to dance and feel not afraid to approach people at social dances. We're here to have fun. You're welcome to ask a dance from me. Feel free to ask some question regarding ballroom/social dancing.
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #45
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ok I desided to just go for sure..I have nothing else to do lol

I will be going as a dressed up version of Neko-Akaito (Basically red hair, black dress shirt, black slacks, red tie and red nails)
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now: