Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
uzuki54

Choosing wig color

I'm in the process of completing a Daryl (Final fantasy 6) cosplay but need to decide on the wig. I'm personally leaning towards Holly from the wig store, it's just deciding which shade of blonde to pick since I'm pretty pale and don't know how I'd look as a blonde (see profile pic). I'm not too worried with accuracy since Daryl is a relatively minor NPC, plus there's no official artwork of her, so all you have to go by is her sprite.

Suggestions?

Ai-Kon

Cosplays in progress

Female Red Mage (FF1)

Team Rocket Grunt
uzuki54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
emmisu
King of Toast

Choosing a wig shade is difficult, I have trouble with it too haha

What you should always do, in my experience, is choose a shade that will flatter your skin tone over being exactly the same color as the references. It will make the entire costume pull together better and look true to life if you can get a shade of blonde that is blonde but has undertones that work with your face.

The first thing you should figure out is whether you have a warm skin tone or a cool one. There are lots of ways of figuring it out that you can find on the net, but they're not always accurate (for example I have medium/olive and dark eyes but I look better in warm tones; opposite of what it says I should pick)

Whatever your natural hair color is, go out into the sunlight and look at it there, if the sun shining on it creates purple/blue/green reflections, you have a cool skin tone. If the reflections are gold/copper/red then you probably have a warm skin tone. Whatever your natural hair color's is toned is probably what you should stick with.

From your profile pic you seem like you'd look good in a neutral/warmish color. Like a very pale but full yellow.

I'm gonna recommend Natural Blonde or Butterscotch blonde from the cosplay.com color swatch. I'm leaning towards the natural but I'm also looking at a very small photo of you, and you should have the final say of what you feel comfortable wearing.

Best of luck, I hope this helps!

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
uzuki54

Thanks so much! I'll give that a try on the next sunny day and see.

I kind of like the look of Natural blonde over Butterscotch myself.

Ai-Kon

Cosplays in progress

Female Red Mage (FF1)

Team Rocket Grunt
uzuki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

In general, the butterscotch is a better choice if you want a deeper yellow mixed into to the color, the natural blonde is good if you're looking for something with just a very slight hint of yellow mixed into the blonde. Each works well, but the natural blonde is a more natural hair color.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote