Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 263 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 12-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #6616
Quinn the Shiki
He Married that Geranium

I was at a christmas party and one of my dad's friends was asking about my cosplays, so I showed him a picture of me as Kohaku from Grand Guignol Orchestra. I said "Nobody ever believe this is me when I first show them" and my dad comes over, looks over my shoulder and says "No that doesn't look like you. That looks like some weird little monkey man."

Seriously? What the hell is that even supposed to mean dad? This was the picture in question. Do I really look like a monkey?
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) May-Pokemon, Peggy Carter-Marvel's Agent Carter, Jessica Jones-Netflix's Jessica Jones, Noah Czerny-The Raven Cycle, Dia Kurosawa-Love Live Sunshine, Osamu Dazai-Bungou Stray Dogs, Gilbert Nightray-Pandora Hearts, Hugh the bee boy-Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Graphic Novel version,) Cynthia-Pokemon,
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #6617
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
I was at a christmas party and one of my dad's friends was asking about my cosplays, so I showed him a picture of me as Kohaku from Grand Guignol Orchestra. I said "Nobody ever believe this is me when I first show them" and my dad comes over, looks over my shoulder and says "No that doesn't look like you. That looks like some weird little monkey man."

Seriously? What the hell is that even supposed to mean dad? This was the picture in question. Do I really look like a monkey?
O_o Noooo you definitely don't look like a monkey. I can't see why he would say that...
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #6618
FireFoxcut9
Peasent ---> Princess

I had forgotten my Merida wig was in the trunk of my boyfriends car when we went on vacation. So, wanting to protect her from the luggage in the back I decided to wear her for safe keeping. Well, we went in to a subway to get some food and the whole time we were ordering these two girls wouldn't stop whispering behind us. We got our subs and walked out, but as we passed by their table I heard one say "freak" under her breath. Being a cosplayer in high school I got used to the rude remarks, so it didn't bother me much. After we had gotten outside my boyfriend told me that they had been giving me really dirty looks the whole time. He wanted to punch them in the face, but I told him that that was what I got for being a reckless young Scottish princess with hair the color of fire.

Planned for Nan Desu Kan (NDK) 2012
Lucy: Helmet version ~ Canceled
2D-Cup ~ 90% Finished
Black: Girl version ~ Canceled
Rave Kairi ~ 40% Finished
Rock Kaito ~ 50% Finished
FireFoxcut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #6619
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkiller View Post
Eh, it's still rude to message someone telling them that, it's not other people's responsibility to make the cosplays others would like to see. Lots of popular characters get cosplayed a lot - it's because people cosplay the characters they like, not the ones that would ensure them they're they're only ones at a con.
Yeah, it's kind of entitled to feel like other people's cosplays should be what YOU want to see.
Most people cosplay for themselves, not to satisfy the sensibilities of others. If it was all about what other people wanted to see, I'd never cosplay at all- I'm overweight for one thing, and people "don't wanna see that". I also do OCs, and some people feel that OCs are "not real cosplay, nobody will care, people only wanna see things they know".
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #6620
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkiller View Post
Eh, it's still rude to message someone telling them that, it's not other people's responsibility to make the cosplays others would like to see. Lots of popular characters get cosplayed a lot - it's because people cosplay the characters they like, not the ones that would ensure them they're they're only ones at a con.
This times seventy three, I see tons of Ed Elric's and a billion Sailor Moons, but does that stop people?
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #6621
Apple Adams
Crossplay Diva!

One I get all too often is some uninformed "gentleman" coming up to me to ask, "Who are you cosplaying?" The moment I open my mouth, they'll say something to the extent of "OhmyGAWD, you're a guy?! GROSS."

Some people, man. Some people.

~In Progress~
Erica Anderson - Catherine
Isabella - Paradise Kiss

My Tumblr
My deviantART
My Facebook
Apple Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #6622
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoxcut9 View Post
I had forgotten my Merida wig was in the trunk of my boyfriends car when we went on vacation. So, wanting to protect her from the luggage in the back I decided to wear her for safe keeping. Well, we went in to a subway to get some food and the whole time we were ordering these two girls wouldn't stop whispering behind us. We got our subs and walked out, but as we passed by their table I heard one say "freak" under her breath. Being a cosplayer in high school I got used to the rude remarks, so it didn't bother me much. After we had gotten outside my boyfriend told me that they had been giving me really dirty looks the whole time. He wanted to punch them in the face, but I told him that that was what I got for being a reckless young Scottish princess with hair the color of fire.
My aunt's hair is naturally as red as Merida's. (So much so that when I posted a picture of me wearing my Merida wig, half the family said I looked like her.) For all those bitches knew, that could have been your real hair!

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #6623
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

my cousin asked about my cosplays so i showed him a one of my most recent one. he said "wow are you super virgin boy or something?"
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #6624
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Worst one I got so far was a rather large lady pointing a finger at me on a bus on the way from a con and yelling for everyone to hear "OMG That is a man!" Quite insulting for a MtF transgender.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown, Red and White Gothic Lolita

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #6625
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

Aside from the "Is it Halloween already" comments, I have not really received any bad comments in person ... although I have seen people whispering. However, I posted a picture of myself and my friend at a convention where I was dressed as Kushina Uzumaki from Naruto (not my best cosplay though, of course), and some delightful little fellow left a comment on it that simply said "You're fat. You're both fat." ... I found that to be extremely rude and uncalled for. While neither my friend nor myself are skinny little things (and we both acknowledge that) I didn't think it was necessary for that jerk to point out something like that.
This is the photo they commented on (if you can view it): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

England/Arthur Kirkland from Hetalia (American Revolution, Default, Casual, Pirate)
Canada/Matthew Williams from Hetalia (Default Parka, Casual, World Conference)
Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing (Endless Waltz)
Hyuuga Hinata from Naruto (Shippuuden)
Umino Iruka from Naruto
Raven-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #6626
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

I have a friend who says things before thinking of how the person he's talking to will react. For a long time because of him it was drilled into my head that I should only cosplay brown characters because that was my skin tone. After I got a little more confident in myself, I decided to cosplay a non-brown character, the moment he spoke to me I practically lectured him about how "YES I'm cosplaying a light skinned character and I don't care what you think!" He's been respectful since. Besides him I don't think a stranger has said anything to my face just yet.

Last year at Fanime though my friend cosplayed as Yoko from Gurren Lagan and we were walking in the dealers hall, she went ahead to check out a table. Just then 2 guys walking really close to me said "Oh, look it's Yoko!" to which his friend replied "Should we ask for a picture?" the reply was "Let me look at her face first." I almost blew up but our other friend walking with me calmed me down.
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #6627
Viveeh
mango puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
my cousin asked about my cosplays so i showed him a one of my most recent one. he said "wow are you super virgin boy or something?"
Unfortunately that's what seems to be the popular way for non-cosplayers to call male cosplayers... And female cosplayers are, according to them, there just for the men to drool at. The simple people will probably never understand the concept of cosplay. -.-
Calne Ca human ver.
Prince Alphie

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #6628
Blood_Sword
Prince of Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice MacLeod View Post
Worst one I got so far was a rather large lady pointing a finger at me on a bus on the way from a con and yelling for everyone to hear "OMG That is a man!" Quite insulting for a MtF transgender.
That is insulting indeed... and rude.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #6629
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
For someone to speak anything like that out loud is beyond rude! That woman is..jdlkjdfljsdfl, I don't have words for what she is. That she thought she had the right to address your gender or her perception of your gender, I should say, is SO wrong.
BLOG - LINK
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #6630
SA2R
King of the Skies

Quote:
I agree with what others have said. That was not cool of that lady.
I am also a transgender, and having someone shout out like that~ *sigh* Some people don't understand how strongly that can rattle, or hurt someone.

Naraku - Inu-yasha
Diamond - Sakizou
Ketchawacha armor - Monster Hunter 4
Casual Hiro - Big Hero 6

My user name is pronounced: Sa-tu-our.

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote