Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.87 average.
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #6631
SA2R
King of the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice MacLeod View Post
Worst one I got so far was a rather large lady pointing a finger at me on a bus on the way from a con and yelling for everyone to hear "OMG That is a man!" Quite insulting for a MtF transgender.
I agree with what others have said. That was not cool of that lady.
I am also a transgender, and having someone shout out like that~ *sigh* Some people don't understand how strongly that can rattle, or hurt someone.

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #6632
KennyCiel
Tiny cosplayer

I've had a few, and while they could have been worse, they still hurt.
I was cosplaying Russia (from Hetalia) at a cosplay Christmas party, I had made my own festive style outfit since I didn't have his normal one yet, but I tried my hardest to make it easy to tell the character. I heard someone comment that 'amg that Russia is WAY too short to be Russia!' and two cosplayers passed by saying 'They're too short! But at least they have the chubbiness right!' 'Oh, Ikr? I hate when chubby people try to cosplay skinny characters!' Though, for me the worst was, I was talking to another Russia cosplayer when two guys came over and practically pushed me out of the way to gush over the other cosplayer. She made a sad face and tried to include me in on it, but they mentioned I wasn't good enough since I 'couldn't be assed to actually cosplay'. That hurt, I spent two days sewing together my outfit and it was my first time really making anything. That whole night has left me uneasy about actually cosplaying him for a con.

The other main one was at A-Fest last year, I was cosplayed as Ciel Phantomhive. Two girls ran over to me and hugged me and gushed over how cute it was that such a shota boy was cosplaying Ciel. I went to thank them, but they immediately stopped hugging me, made very disappointed faces and went 'Oh...Are you a girl? We thought since your badge says 'Ken' that you were a boy...' and just walked away. I had a couple experiences similar to that at that con, and each time I didn't have any chance to explain to them. As a FtM transgender, it kind of hurt seeing their reactions to my higher pitched voice and finding out that I am, indeed, genetically female.
Other than that, the only comments I get are about being 'too short', 'too chubby', and oddly quite a bit of rude comments about having a strange accent. Snooty ones like 'Ugh, that character doesn't have that kind of accent' and 'Eww your accent sounds soo fake and strange!'
Or like, people who nitpick at not having small details. Like as Ciel not having his rings. I can't wear rings because I tend to lose them, so I don't really want to keep having to spend money to replace the rings all the time.
-----
Wow, this ended up turning longer than it should have.

Daughter of White-Haku (Vocaloid)
KennyCiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #6633
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

You know how I deal with people like that? I pop in my earplugs ad listen to Bach. Making a scene wont help me or people like me. I know many that would retaliate but all that does is make the situation worse. It hurt but I look way better then I use to. All I could do was lift my head high and listen to Bach. What else can I do?

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #6634
KennyCiel
Tiny cosplayer

I understand there will always be people who have problems with it, but my problem is the absurd amount of people, even in the cosplay community, that believe a higher voice automatically means one is a girl. I always thought cosplayers would be a bit better with it, seeing as many boys are indeed voiced by girls.

Daughter of White-Haku (Vocaloid)
KennyCiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #6635
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Voice is an issue with many transgender but I personally don't care anymore. I don't talk much anyhow as it tends to get me into trouble but when I do I talk natural. Not all females have a high pitched squeaky "Valley Girl" style voice that everyone assumes they have. Heck my aunts voice is so deep you would think she is male but she is very much a female.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #6636
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

KennyCiel, That's awful that people would make such comments to you and take those kinds of actions. Unfortunately some people don't think before they act or say anything, and with the excitement that comes with con going, a person's thought process and actions can become messed up because they act "in the moment" without really thinking of how it is effecting the person that they are interacting with. From what I can see in your avatar, you make a wonderful Ciel and your costume looks really great!

Last edited by SweeneyTodd : 10-22-2013 at 01:49 AM.
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #6637
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

This was part of an argument that started in an unrelated way and somehow ended up insulting my crossplay skills in the process.

For my English class, we have to reenact scenes from a Shakespeare play with a group. I said I wanted to play the Duke and everyone was fine with that until we actually finished reading the play, then another guy in my group wanted to be him. I said that was a really douche move since they'd already said I could, but he just said "The Duke is a MAN and you're not, so I should play him." to which I said that was really sexist and that I could be a fairly convincing guy with a wig and makeup. The guy said he'd like to see that so I pulled out my phone and showed him This picture from my last convention, a picture that made my own grandmother do a double take. The guy just scoffs and says something along the lines of "That still looks like normal feminine you, you make a terrible and completely unconvincing man in that picture and therefor have just proved my point."

So yeah, while it didn't start out as a cosplay jibe, it got there. And frankly, as stupid as it probably is, I was pretty hurt considering my friend put a lot of work into doing my makeup that day and I'd been really pleased with how dude-ish I looked.
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #6638
Ilafatyu
That guy

One of my first cosplays was Lag Seeing, back when the series first started. I walked into the convention nervous about my cosplay since I knew it didn't look nearly as good as anyone else's cosplays, but I figured I could pull it off if I just stayed confident and didn't give a damn about what anyone thought.

It wasn't ten minutes after I arrived that this girl approaches me. "Are you Lag or Gauche?" she asked. Fair enough question, which I answered by smiling and joking I wasn't tall enough to be Gauche. I was just happy to be recognized at all. Then she stands there silently for a second, looking me over. I start to feel awkward. "You should have bejeweled the hat," she says, then turns and walks away. Just like that.

Bitch.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #6639
MirniMausi
Just live more

A while ago, the TV channel Animax had a Sailor Moon Event where I and two friends made a small report for a Sailor Moon Blog. One girl had a Venus wig, I had a Moon wig and the other one made her own hair look like Sailor Moon's. We had a really good time there and the photos were posted on Animax' Facebook page, but that was in fact the problem.
My friend with the Venus wig is pretty chubby, but she has really gotten confident enough to finally start cosplay a while ago. Suddenly, a girl started posting comments on the album that my friend shouldn't cosplay Venus because she was "too fat". My friend was pretty pissed and we all told that girl to shut up, but she kept on saying that SHE lost weight before cosplaying Venus and all that shit. First off, my friend wore a WIG and regular clothes, not a Sailor Fuku, so it wasn't really a cosplay. Second, she did it just for fun and third.... that girl wasn't really better at cosplay. We could see her profile because it was available in public and yeah, she was skinnier (though by far not slender) but her Cosplay was full of mistakes (real her sticking out, pants were visible under her skirt etc.) and her photos looked horrible (she neither smiled, nor posed- but my friend did, even though she didn't even have a full Cosplay).
"Elitists" are one thing, but an absolute beginner insulting someone else (who just wears a frickin' WIG) is far worse imho!

~Up Next~
Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #6640
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirniMausi View Post
A while ago, the TV channel Animax had a Sailor Moon Event where I and two friends made a small report for a Sailor Moon Blog. One girl had a Venus wig, I had a Moon wig and the other one made her own hair look like Sailor Moon's. We had a really good time there and the photos were posted on Animax' Facebook page, but that was in fact the problem.
My friend with the Venus wig is pretty chubby, but she has really gotten confident enough to finally start cosplay a while ago. Suddenly, a girl started posting comments on the album that my friend shouldn't cosplay Venus because she was "too fat". My friend was pretty pissed and we all told that girl to shut up, but she kept on saying that SHE lost weight before cosplaying Venus and all that shit. First off, my friend wore a WIG and regular clothes, not a Sailor Fuku, so it wasn't really a cosplay. Second, she did it just for fun and third.... that girl wasn't really better at cosplay. We could see her profile because it was available in public and yeah, she was skinnier (though by far not slender) but her Cosplay was full of mistakes (real her sticking out, pants were visible under her skirt etc.) and her photos looked horrible (she neither smiled, nor posed- but my friend did, even though she didn't even have a full Cosplay).
"Elitists" are one thing, but an absolute beginner insulting someone else (who just wears a frickin' WIG) is far worse imho!
I would want to punch that girl now......... I hope that didn't down grade ur friends confidence.
Anyways onto rude comments, recently I think a few months ago I received 2 hate mails on my fb and 1 offensive photo caption. The fb mail went rambling on about me cross dressing and being gay. Then when I read the email one I was just down right shocked. It was a death threat mail..... Srsly people these days.....
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #6641
Celiabeth

I was in burger king (cheaper than con food) and this girl came up to me and said, " OMG nice zelda costume, too bad you didn't finish it" while pointing at the back of my costume which was safty pinned because of a wardrobe malfunction. I wasn't really insulted but like gawsh, manners anyone?
Day 3- Princess Garnett
Day 4- Princess Nia
Celiabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #6642
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiabeth View Post
I was in burger king (cheaper than con food) and this girl came up to me and said, " OMG nice zelda costume, too bad you didn't finish it" while pointing at the back of my costume which was safty pinned because of a wardrobe malfunction. I wasn't really insulted but like gawsh, manners anyone?
Manners is a thing of the past? Now A days people aren't even considerate of others
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #6643
Celiabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li_Syaoran View Post
Manners is a thing of the past? Now A days people aren't even considerate of others
Yeah, like I completed the costume in one day #sweatshop and was pretty proud of what I did. People are dumb sometimes =_=;
Day 3- Princess Garnett
Day 4- Princess Nia
Celiabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #6644
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

I finally got one today. So I was in a costume contest; I didn't expect to win anything since it wasn't exactly a mind blowing costume, so after my run I just sat back and watched the rest of the contestants go up. One of the other contestants joins me after his walk on, and we start chatting. He mentions how it was his first time in competition, and I mentioned how my first time was at the last local con. He asked how I did, to which I answered I won best novice. He asked which costume, I told him Skyward Sword Zelda. And then he responds, "Oh, well when you're doing a popular character it's hard not winning anything."

I think my mouth hung open for a second, especially since he didn't realize how that comment was offensive. I then went on to tell him that the crowd judging contest is he'd on a separate day and this was an actual craftsmanship competition that I won at. That was just a real gut blow.
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Kamiya Kaoru - Rurouni Kenshin
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 01-19-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #6645
Sabrina901

Ive had people give me crap because i dont make my cosplay. (sorry, I dont have that kind of time!) Ive also had people give me crap because I have very bad sinus/allergy issues, and as a result, I permanently look like someone has given me two black eyes. I can only use so much concealer to cover it up! T.T Ive even had people give me crap for being so skinny/weirdly proportioned (big chest, but stick thin everywhere else...). I didnt choose to look this way, genetics chose for me T.T
Sabrina901 is offline   Reply With Quote