Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
Pinkyparadise.com is amazing to buy contacts! That is where I get mine.

Yeah, I been skimming that site. Hoping if all goes well, I can see an eye doctor today. If given the okay, I will get right on this.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

I would be VERY careful with circle lenses! Having considered them myself (because they don't make colored contact lenses in my prescription), I did a bit of research on the safety because I'd heard all the warnings and vision is too precious to just do a handwave to.

I realize that a lot of the official positions on circle lenses may seem like scaremongering but it is not without merit and I do feel that circle/contact lens safety does go beyond "common sense" and "safe handling" of contact lenses, though those are also really important. The fit of the lens is also important but I'm not sure how much attention people pay to the parameters of diameter and base curvature -- it goes beyond just power. ;P I would also have the contacts brought back to whoever you go see so they can check the fit. It's similar to what they do when they fit you for contact lenses in the first place.

Unfortunately I'm not an ophthalmologist or optometrist so please don't take any of this as medical advice (because it's not :D)
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Thanks for the concern Prissi. .... Yeah, my eye doctor is going to be fitting me for colored contacts on the 18th, so I will pretty much get all that info I need there. s:.... She DID tell me they are bigger. I will ask her if I can bring them back one day then whenever I get them. She is right beside the supermarket I go to, so it's pretty convenient. Thanks! c:

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

From what I've seen in this thread you've already made a ton of progress!

I would say that one thing you're missing is blush! Your contouring looks great (Just be sure to blend it really well and not use too much.) But blush will really bring out your cheeks and in general make you look more feminine. Also you seem to use a lot of bright colors for your eye shadow and alot of it. I would suggest trying a more natural look. Like a light shimmery color or a brown color, it'll just be a different look, but it will be more natural. Not many women would wear that much eye shadow.

I also agree with what some people have said about using white eyeliner on your tear duct. I personally use white eye shadow in the corner of my eyes, it just makes your eyes look bigger and make you look more awake! (:

Another thing I noticed with your eyes was eyeliner! Eyeliner can work wonders especially if you're wearing falsies. I originally started wearing make-up for the stage. When you do that you get used to exsadurating all your features or else you look like you have no eyes. xD But I've found that it works very well for everyday wear as well. I used a liquid eyeliner to trace the top of my eye, then I add my lashes, then I go over again with eyeliner and make a more rounded shape with tapered ends. I think this would work well with your eyes, as well as liner on the bottom of your eye. (:

This image kind shows what I mean with the eyeliner shape.

This is just showing how much eyeliner can do... This is me with no make-up. This is me with make-up, mostly on the eyes (Light eye shadow, eyeliner, white liner, lashes, mascara, blush.) I mean personally I feel like I look completely different. So my point is eyeliner and eye make-up done right is a huge helper! (:

I agree with what some people have said about adding bangs. It will make your hair cut look more feminine. (:

And last is the eyebrows. I personally don't do anything with my eyebrows and I think you could do the same. But if you wanted to make them look thinner maybe try only using the glue on part of them (so leaving the line you want to be shown exposed. Then do your covering technique on the other parts then use mascara to go over the exposed area. (:
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Thank you Ichigo. .... I am sorry I haven't really been updating this thread as much as I have my other thread, since I DID have a photo update from about 4-5 days ago. I will link what I said here in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Still having trouble with eyes and lipstick seemed feisty today. I think I need a better pencil. Either way, updates:

I think my contouring is getting a lot better. Eyeliner still needs work HOWEVER, I am not twitchy with my eyes as much anymore.
http://i.imgur.com/t4UG2.jpg
*** I wouldn't even show this one since the rest of my makeup is bleh, but this one best shows my contouring.

Added a set of clip-on earrings for feel:
http://i.imgur.com/eFNbs.jpg

A bit of a more-forward shot:
http://i.imgur.com/ekkqF.jpg

Annnnnnnnd.... yes, I know, I have this bad habit of starting the eyebrows thick, but I ended thin.....ner.... >.> Also on the plus side, I am getting a wee-bit better at concealing my brows.
http://i.imgur.com/grtL1.jpg

All in all, I do think this practice most of my days off of work has been improving. Honestly I am surprised I am getting as good as I am, even if not that good. I wish the pictures would come out as good as I see when I look in the mirror. I feel like my contouring HAS improved, since I can see a facial difference far away. Going to need to shop again online for more stuff soooooooooooooon. :/

* I know I did nothing with my lashes this time. Bit by bit, step by step, one by one. :P.... Plus, it's passed midnight. s:....

Next time I look online and shop, I am thinking of getting another lip pencil, probably another canyon classics eyeshadow set, and probably some more foundation. Kind of running low. Will keep practicing though. I appreciate all the help I have been getting. You folks rock my socks.

Maybe tomorrow, I will try to practice posing. :/

Last edited by Larcenciel : 01-13-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

As you said about eyeshadow, I guess I went to work on that again there. Whoops. s:.... but a bit at a time like I say. xD... Mastering EVERYTHING at once would make things a bit hectic, but a bit at a time, definitely.

So, to reply to you....

Blush, yes. I always never really do blush. I dunno why. Just never do. s:.... I'll have to look more into that.

Eyeshadow, yeah, in the recent picture, I just tried to match with the red scene there. s:.... I gots an excuse this time!.... but yeah, I will try to work some more naturally. c:.... Just got to figure where to go. I haven't been fooling with eyeshadow too too much just yet.

White eyeshadow with white liner, huh? Really, it is an illusion I don't understand, but I will take the words of you all here, since you are all the makeup masterminds, and I will give it a go. *Adds eyeliner to list* I already have this white and black eyeshadow duo I have from MAX Factor I got a while ago..... REALLY strong white and black. I think they have shimmer too.

Liner scares me. D:.... not that I fear it being near the eye or anything, I just plain suck at it. xD.... I am finally getting over my eye blinking reflex, so it should just get easier here. I've tried falsies a bit ago, and I have my own technique to get them going.... kinda. I do agree, they definitely add to the illusion. I figure once I have everything fairly decent, I will try an "all out" attempt. s:... As for that thing about "Everyday wear".... nooooot exactly something I could do "everyday".

Oh my..... your eyes look amazing. D:.... I can totally see that. Go figure eyeliner would be the annoying thing for me. :/.... I got to get another tube or two of the stuff. >_<.... I think my current one is near it's end.

I actually just got some clip-on bangs a day or two ago. .... I wore them out to Boston for a Madoka Magica movie thing, and they DID fool my friend for a bit. She thought I cut my hair, then she realized the bangs are a bit lighter. D:... Oh well, I think they are probably the closest to my hair-shade.... so my next update picture should have bangs. =D

That's an idea, but I kind of think that might be hard. s:.... I mean, I will definitely give it a shot and see how it goes. My brows are pretty wide, which as others HAVE told me, kind of take away. s:.... of course, up close, the obvious brow covering is pretty bad too. xD.... I'll give it a shot when I can and see how it goes. c:

Thanks for your input!

Unread 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

One tip about applying eyeliner: look down into a mirror. You're less likely to poke yourself in the eye and less likely to blink. Watch any of Pixiwoo's makeup tutorials on YouTube to see how they do it.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
One tip about applying eyeliner: look down into a mirror. You're less likely to poke yourself in the eye and less likely to blink. Watch any of Pixiwoo's makeup tutorials on YouTube to see how they do it.
You know, I HAVE been trying to do that lately. It's strange, but yeah, I have noticed that works some. My lashes I think are the reason I fail so badly though.

Unread 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

For me, your bottom liner is really harsh, especially compared to your top liner. One thing that I've started doing in the morning as opposed to applying liner and smudging it, is using a dark eyeshadow instead. It's a great use for the sponge tip applicators that come with most drugstore shadows. Just get some of the shadow onto the applicator and lightly trace the outer third of your bottom lash line. Then you can intensify it if you want. It makes for a really quick, soft line.

Are you using liquid, gel, or pencil liner? Because I find that gel and especially liquid have a much bigger learning curve than pencil ones. I prefer gel because it's the most versatile and long-wearing on me but pencil liners are great and using them is just like using a regular pencil. Rimmel makes really great ones called Special Eyes or something like that for about $3 and I love them. They also have a great white liner in their Soft Kajal Eye Pencil line.

As for brows, I kind of have really nicely shaped brows to begin with so I don't know how much this might help you but when I actually do fill them in with pencil (I usually use powder but I literally just take some on an angled brush and go to town...), I like to start with a line on the bottom of my brows, then lightly blend by brushing upwards with a spoolie or brow brush. It gives me a nice general guideline. Then if I want to thicken them, I do short strokes in the area where I want it darker and defined. This is, fun fact, also exactly how I draw eyebrows when I'm drawing portraits.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
For me, your bottom liner is really harsh, especially compared to your top liner. One thing that I've started doing in the morning as opposed to applying liner and smudging it, is using a dark eyeshadow instead. It's a great use for the sponge tip applicators that come with most drugstore shadows. Just get some of the shadow onto the applicator and lightly trace the outer third of your bottom lash line. Then you can intensify it if you want. It makes for a really quick, soft line.

Are you using liquid, gel, or pencil liner? Because I find that gel and especially liquid have a much bigger learning curve than pencil ones. I prefer gel because it's the most versatile and long-wearing on me but pencil liners are great and using them is just like using a regular pencil. Rimmel makes really great ones called Special Eyes or something like that for about $3 and I love them. They also have a great white liner in their Soft Kajal Eye Pencil line.

As for brows, I kind of have really nicely shaped brows to begin with so I don't know how much this might help you but when I actually do fill them in with pencil (I usually use powder but I literally just take some on an angled brush and go to town...), I like to start with a line on the bottom of my brows, then lightly blend by brushing upwards with a spoolie or brow brush. It gives me a nice general guideline. Then if I want to thicken them, I do short strokes in the area where I want it darker and defined. This is, fun fact, also exactly how I draw eyebrows when I'm drawing portraits.

Huh.... that's an interesting idea. I oughta try that sometime. s:.... howeeeeeever, I DO still want to get the hang of liner. Like I said above though, I think my problem is my eyelashes. :/..... They bump me, which makes it messy, and then I have a tendency of trying to.... eh.... work over it. *Don't hit me!*... I know I should rid of it. I'll have to come around and find an idea to get away from my lashes to prevent them from messing me up.

Liquid, and I think I tried cream one before.... or gel, I dunno what you would call it. It's the kind that you unscrew off and dab the brush into the cream-like liner. I'd use pencil as well, but I feel the pencil always sharpens too thick for me. The liquid ones have a really nice tip, but yeah, again, lashes. :/

I actually think .... petrilude was it?..... has an eyebrow tutorial I plan to check out to help hide them more. I have no more days off from work for another 4-5 days though, so I really can't try much of anything else. All mid-day shifts. :/.... I suppose all I can do at this moment is gather my tips, plan my next order, and well.... yeah. s:

I'll also look into that line of liners you brought up. I will be looking into a white liner, so maybe that will be the one I get.

Unread 01-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #26
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Petrilude is fantastic! And his brows are fabulous so that's good. He hasn't really put anything new up so I kind of forgot about him. I do still suggest having a pencil liner on hand so you can fill in the gaps between the liquid and your lashes.

I just tried this out with some liquid liner I had lying around since my lashes tend to get in the way of liquid liner as well. I had the mirror right in front of me and tilted my head down. I closed one eye and lined it while looking straight ahead with the other eye. For the bottom line, I kept my head the same and rested my pinky fairly close to the eye so that it pulled my lower lash line down slightly. Then with the shortest strokes possible, I traced the tops of my lashes.

I still prefer using shadow or pencil liner to line my bottom lash line since I like it better when the bottom lash line is blended out. But for both lids, I definitely got closer to the lash line and barely got any liner on my actual lashes.

I was using the Wet and Wild H2O Proof liner which is a felt tip liquid liner (as opposed to a brush tip) with a short applicator and long handle. I don't really recommend this liner since it tends to smudge on me. But I think you can use this trick with a liquid pen liner or anything where the part of the applicator that's in the product is shorter so you have more control.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Okay then, I will make sure to get a pencil liner as well. All in all, that sounds good. Can't wait to try out these tips..... but so long away. ):..... At least payday is the 16th. Come that day, Amazon or whereever, here I come.

Unread 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #28
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Going to update this thread as well as the crossplay chat one since this one seems to have some followers on my progress as well:

I got my hands on some white eyeliner today. I hope I used it correctly. >.>.... And I got my clip-on bangs, and I gotta say, I am loving it. Dunno what I should tackle next, but pleased am I? Pleased I am.

Closeup:
http://i.imgur.com/tXEvQMU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qt5kKoK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/94Cda7S.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QbgcV80.jpg

Full Body:
http://i.imgur.com/kJzfHIa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dW6GSs7.jpg

Yep, still need to learn poses, and caught the lipstick malfunction too late. My lipliner also just isn't dark enough. :/ Also have green contacts in.

Either way, found a lot more pictures I wanted to keep this time than dump, lol.

Unread 01-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #29
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

First off, your eye makeup has definitely improved! And yes, the white eyeliner can go in the inner part, or along the waterline.

For critiques:
1) Your foundation is looking cakey. I wonder if it's too dry for your skin. Or you've applied too much powder. Do you prep your skin with primer or lotion? This may help.
2) The cheek contour extends too far down. Here's a great video which explains the "magic" contour line.

Don't worry about the lips. It happens!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #30
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

That's all for critiques this time? Guess that is something to be happy about, lol. I will still try to improve the contouring. I know what I did, lol. I always thought that more shadow working down would be better. I'll have to check that video out later. I also realized I forgot blush again. Never on the top of my memory, since I don't think it takes as much practice to get going, lol.

I appreciate that. Yeah, I dunno what to do. The foundation I have is actually liquid. All I put on before the foundation was facial scrub. I DO however, have some primer I bought and haven't used yet. Does it make that big of a difference? o.o

Last edited by Larcenciel : 01-19-2013 at 06:40 AM.