Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Druhzin

Latex face prostetic with sand?

Anyone know how to do a latex face piece that has sand on it? I'm doing crocodile from One Piece and thought it would be cool in some pictures to have a face piece to go with a "sand tornado" I'm building. Also I've got a glove I'd like to coat with sand, but I have no idea how to attach it to fabric and still be able to use my hand. Any info would be appreciated since I've never worked with latex before.
Druhzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
oddlyaquatic

I'm not sure about the latex, as I've hardly worked with it before, but as for attaching sand to fabric, you can use a spray adhesive to get it to stick
oddlyaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Are you asking how to make a latex prosthetic in addition to giving it an outer layer of sand? Or are you just asking how to get the sand on the prosthetic after it has been made?

There's not much to putting sand on a latex prosthetic. Just brush a layer of latex over the surface and then coat it in sand. It's just like making art with glue and sprinkles in kindergarten.

If you're asking how to make the prosthetic, I'd need to see ref photos to give you advise. They range from easy things that can be done in under and hour, to complicated multi-piece prosthetics, that take hundreds of hours before the first one is cast.

A sand coated glove is probably going to be a bit messier. As you move your fingers, the glove will rub against itself, causing some of the sand to be scraped off. This isn't the end of the world, just keep it in mind.