Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #31
riathewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanidesun797 View Post
Does anyone have any advice I should know as a first time attendee? Besides getting in lines waaaaay ahead of time. That goes without saying.
I highly recommend the shuttle buses. They run in the morning and night and help save parking money. Also, do the expo hall on Friday or Sunday. Saturday is just WAY too crowded.
riathewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
squishtastic
SHSL K-pop

Hey, guys! I'll also be attending for the first time this year, but just on Friday. I'm planning on cosplaying as a gijinka Deoxys, which I'm really excited for! I know that cosplay isn't the main event at PAX, but I want to go all-out on it for that same reason :>

Like others were asking, is there any advice anyone would like to give a first-time attendee?

Otakon 2013
Kururugi Suzaku
Tomoe Mami
Uchiha Sasuke (Team 7)
Jaganshi Hiei
Lee Taemin (LUCIFER)
Rhyme Bitou
squishtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanidesun797 View Post
Does anyone have any advice I should know as a first time attendee? Besides getting in lines waaaaay ahead of time. That goes without saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishtastic View Post
Hey, guys! I'll also be attending for the first time this year, but just on Friday. I'm planning on cosplaying as a gijinka Deoxys, which I'm really excited for! I know that cosplay isn't the main event at PAX, but I want to go all-out on it for that same reason :>

Like others were asking, is there any advice anyone would like to give a first-time attendee?
1) Actually look at the programming. There's a ton of cool stuff that goes down at PAX East, and it's best to keep tabs on what the haps are.
2) Go to the concerts at least 1 night. Friday is usually the better night, as the Protomen play. And if you're not down with them, I don't want to know you.
3) Remember that this is nothing like an anime convention. It's an older crowd, so we're way more laid back and here to enjoy ourselves without dry humping each other.
4) Expect lines. For real.
5) Learn the Iron Guard position. This is not a joke. http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/03/26

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #34
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

So, I've been meaning to be at a PAX since the very first one in 2004, and it just has never worked out. Has cosplay become pretty accepted, or is it still like "what are you doin'" to the gamer attendees?

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
So, I've been meaning to be at a PAX since the very first one in 2004, and it just has never worked out. Has cosplay become pretty accepted, or is it still like "what are you doin'" to the gamer attendees?
Cosplay is fine, just don't expect a lot of it. I would say maybe 1/4th of the attendees actually cosplay. And most of it is Western stuff.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #36
Yavarice
Skymoose

I get the feeling Pax is generally more exhibitors than dealers but what sort of "Shut up and take my money" things would I end up getting tempted by? =P
Yavarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #37
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavarice View Post
I get the feeling Pax is generally more exhibitors than dealers but what sort of "Shut up and take my money" things would I end up getting tempted by? =P
If you're into tabletop gaming, there's a ton of dealers in that field. There's stuff to by, 60% video game related, 40% tabletop/ccg related.

Unread 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
Yavarice
Skymoose

I guess I was wondering what type of merch - hardware, software, apparel, toys, memorabilia?

My memory is lacking but I recall the first year mostly had a few companies selling their high-end specialized products. (Furniture and eyewear come to mind)
Yavarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #39
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavarice View Post
I guess I was wondering what type of merch - hardware, software, apparel, toys, memorabilia?

My memory is lacking but I recall the first year mostly had a few companies selling their high-end specialized products. (Furniture and eyewear come to mind)
All of the above, depending on the booths. It's a lot more diverse than the first PAX East.

Unread 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Well then, Yavarice, I hope you (and Dan and Sha) are prepared to keep me away from the Nintendo stuff all weekend.
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
Well then, Yavarice, I hope you (and Dan and Sha) are prepared to keep me away from the Nintendo stuff all weekend.
Don't worry, you can't buy any stuff directly from Nintendo. There's usually some cheap free swag from them, but nothing to purchase. Most of the big gaming companies there aren't using selling stuff, it's the smaller dudes/legit stores that have wares to pimp out.

Unread 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Don't worry, you can't buy any stuff directly from Nintendo. There's usually some cheap free swag from them, but nothing to purchase. Most of the big gaming companies there aren't using selling stuff, it's the smaller dudes/legit stores that have wares to pimp out.
I didn't mean to imply that I will be shopping directly from Nintendo, so much as that the smaller dudes/legit stores will probably have at least a few games I want and which I really shouldn't be buying. and it amuses me to make my friends responsible for my poor spending habits
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #43
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
I didn't mean to imply that I will be shopping directly from Nintendo, so much as that the smaller dudes/legit stores will probably have at least a few games I want and which I really shouldn't be buying. and it amuses me to make my friends responsible for my poor spending habits
Excellent. And making poor life choices via spending is advised at PAX.

Unread 01-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #44
Coles

PAX last year was my first US con and my first PAX, and I went to Prime in Seattle as well. Headed down to Boston from Toronto for East 2013, and I'll be wearing Dante from DmC, and maybe Shepard armor.

It's really different from the usual conventions, there is no dealer room. There expo hall is huge, and does have some places to buy things, but no row upon row of privte shops. Maybe some novelty t-shirt booths scattered about, mixed in with the big gaming demos. There's a lot of rooms for panels, and QAs and previews and whatnot. And a lot of rooms for board/PnP games where you can just pick up and play, and learn with people. It's kind of an amazing time, really different than the usual conventions I've always gone too. And the crowd is generally nicer. PAX has -very- strict policies concerning dress code and behaviour.
Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #45
IchiBLEACHcake

I'll be going!
I'm actually in search of someone who will be cosplaying Chris Redfield Saturday of Pax! We have a huge RE6 group and he's the only other character we're missing! There's going to be a feature of our group in a gaming magazine, so if you're interested in joining us, please PM me!!
Other characters we'd like to have are also Simmons and Carla =)
IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote