Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Rakoku
Hawai'i Cosplayer

Matching scents to characters

(Sorry if this is the incorrect area.)

For a con in March, I'll be going as two variations of the same character, though one is a sort of gender-bend. To take my cosplay to the next level, I sort of want to match fragrances to the characters, and I don't think my regular ol' Dove deodorant would be appropriate. ;_; I don't normally use perfumes and body sprays and other wonderfully scented things, so I have no idea what I am doing. If anybody who watches the show, (or even people who don't, just say what you think they smell like. xD Or suggest something based on my musings.) could just give me some suggestions?

This is the girl I was thinking something with roses, or gardenias, but that might seem too mature. Something light and floral but not with just a one dimensional flowery scent.

And this is the boy. I was thinking maybe a 'milk and honey' type scent. But maybe that's too feminine and weak scented. He's young though, so IMO he wouldn't smell like 'IN YOUR FACE MAN SCENT'.

I'm looking for stuff that's cheap and easy to get, though if it's sort of expensive (like $20-35) but it smells good I'll probably use it for everyday. x3 And by 'stuff', I mean perfumes, body sprays, shower gels, etc.
Rakoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I wouldn't really suggest using perfume because if you accidentally apply too much or it's too strong or someone's really sensitive, you might set off some allergies.

That said, try axe shower gel. I hate Axe usually but my best friend uses it and it isn't overpowering or anything. It's actually really subtle but the scent is just strong enough to stick for the day. I don't know if that actually goes with the character but it smells like dude to me. None of my guy friends are really into scents and stuff outside of body wash and shampoo, and even then they don't really care.

For girl Ciel, that dress reminds me of Bath and Body Work's Pink Chiffon scent, or at least its packaging. It's sweet and floral. The body cream that I have describes it as, "an ultra-feminine blend of sparkling red pear, vanilla orchid, and whipped chiffon musk." Another thing you can try is the Body Shop's Love Etc... scent. I love the perfume but the body butter is also really amazing. My boyfriend says it smells like earl gray tea but the site describes it as, "a sensuous blend of Egyptian jasmine with warm, radiant notes of vanilla and sandalwood." I don't think either of those scents smell particularly mature, especially Pink Chiffon.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

there is actually an artist that makes comissions of perfumes for characters. they arent super overpowering either which is very helpful. here is her da http://childofpuck.deviantart.com message ehr about the perfumes!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

I usually keep a tea bag or two of my favourite tea in one of my coat pockets....but....here's my two cents.

I don't make any extra effort to attract creepy people who want to try to see what cologne I'm wearing, lol. But if that's your thing, go for it.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

When I crossplay, I have some men's deodorant I wear. The scent isn't overpowering, but it's definitely male. I don't know if it helps with the passing or adds to the character for others, but for me it gives me a little reminder that I'm a guy right now.

Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Touya no miko
TnM

Like what was said earlier, I'd be really careful when wearing fragrances around the con. People tend to be allergic to that stuff. I should know, one of my cosplay buddies has all sorts of allergies. I had to step out of the hotel room to spray on my perfume because she's so allergic to fragrances. My suggestion is to look for perfume oils or scented lotions/body butter since they're less harsh. In addition, a cheaper alternative is to look for travel size or sample size versions of the scents you want to wear. That way you want have to buy a full bottle.

Back on subject to your characters!

Boy Ciel to me doesn't seem like someone who has a scent. If anything, I think he would just smell clean like most male characters. Victoria's Secret has a brand of scents from their "PINK" line. One of them is called "Fresh and Clean", which smells like clean laundry.

For Girl Ciel, I'm not too familiar with floral scents. The only one I own is called Kimono Rose from Thymes, which is a light floral scent but I love it all the same. Unfortunately, it's impossible to find in stores. I had to get mine online.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
usuyukisou

I'll second Axe shower gel for vol6!Ciel. Even though he's about 13, he really wants to be seen as grown up. I've had to use it a couple of times when I run out of my own shower products and am too lazy to buy another (I usually share a bathroom with my brother at home) and it isn't overbearing.

For crossdressing Ciel, I've always liked tuberose. Now matter how pink or frilly the dress is, Ciel isn't the type for overly cutesy antics. A big part of his investigation was seducing the Viscount with how grown-up "she" was.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Rakoku
Hawai'i Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post

For girl Ciel, that dress reminds me of Bath and Body Work's Pink Chiffon scent, or at least its packaging. It's sweet and floral. The body cream that I have describes it as, "an ultra-feminine blend of sparkling red pear, vanilla orchid, and whipped chiffon musk." Another thing you can try is the Body Shop's Love Etc... scent. I love the perfume but the body butter is also really amazing. My boyfriend says it smells like earl gray tea but the site describes it as, "a sensuous blend of Egyptian jasmine with warm, radiant notes of vanilla and sandalwood." I don't think either of those scents smell particularly mature, especially Pink Chiffon.
Pink Chiffon sounds really nice, and if it even somehow resembles earl gray, that's pretty cool too, plus it "fits" the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
there is actually an artist that makes comissions of perfumes for characters. they arent super overpowering either which is very helpful. here is her da http://childofpuck.deviantart.com message ehr about the perfumes!
I heard about this person (or maybe it was another?) but always seemed to not be able to find them! Though unfortunately I don't have enough time for her to do a scent commission... Definitely trying to getone done for another character, just for the hell of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
I usually keep a tea bag or two of my favourite tea in one of my coat pockets....but....here's my two cents.

I don't make any extra effort to attract creepy people who want to try to see what cologne I'm wearing, lol. But if that's your thing, go for it.
The tea bag thing is a good idea, I never thought of doing that!

It's a con that's more on the smaller side, so it's a close knit community, not many creepy people I've encountered, fortunately. I'm obsessively clean, concerning my person and costumes, and unfortunately, there's that infamous "con funk" that sort of accumulates like secondhand cigarette smoke smell when around a huge mass of people that may or may not be hygienically inclined...I don't want other people's funk clinging to me. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
I'll second Axe shower gel for vol6!Ciel. Even though he's about 13, he really wants to be seen as grown up. I've had to use it a couple of times when I run out of my own shower products and am too lazy to buy another (I usually share a bathroom with my brother at home) and it isn't overbearing.

For crossdressing Ciel, I've always liked tuberose. Now matter how pink or frilly the dress is, Ciel isn't the type for overly cutesy antics. A big part of his investigation was seducing the Viscount with how grown-up "she" was.
You've made some interesting points, and since it was seconded I'll probably go test out some axe shower gel.

I agree with everyone's point of not wearing a strong perfume. I used to have migraines and asthma attacks brought by strong scents (grew out of both eventually). Thank you all very much for your replies, and if I didn't quote your post, it was cause I ran out of room. D: but then, I agreed with what you've said. You've all given me a lot of ideas! : ) Thanks again!
Rakoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
jukebox
role models > supermodels

I sometimes do associate fragrances from my collection with certain characters, but I don't bother with it for cons because aside from being one more thing to pack and worry about, there's the aforementioned issue of allergies.

The other thing about perfume aside from allergies is that the oils and chemicals could potential stain or interact with the fabric of your costume, so it would be a better idea to go with body mist, anti-persperant, etc. It'll go the extra mile and because of how we associate certain scents with gender because of commercial companies that sell Bath and Body products, who knows, it might even trip people up into thinking you're actually a guy!

If you ever want to go super-crazy with historical accuracy you could also research and figure out what kind of scents and hygiene would make sense for the time period. But that's because I'm crazy and think that historical research on random topics like that is fun, lol.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

I had actually been wondering the same thing for several of my costumes, just because I use mildly scented soaps/lotions on a daily basis, and it's an amusing and random thought to entertain. More likely than not, I'd completely forget what I was planning to do once I actually got in costume. I may actually use the tea trick for my 10th doctor costume... that's a really good idea.

I agree with the roses for the pink dress Ciel - possibly look into some essential oils along those lines, and dilute them with water, heavily. I've done this for a bergamot oil, because sometimes I just want to smell like Earl Gray tea - the scent stays with you, but it's really subtle. You could likely doing the same thing with a rose or gardenia oils.

Not sure on the male Ciel - you could always see about getting a little travel thing of Old Spice body wash - it does stick with you, and provide just the hint of the spicy man smell... without the bear-mace anger of Axe body spray.

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Undead Death Knight Starter Gear (WoW),
Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor), Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asgard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
Saki_Watari

I'm not sure if you've ever done this or not but... if you've ever used tea as a conditioner for your hair/black tea to dye your hair. You end up smelling like tea for the rest of the day. Every time I do that I have to think of Black Butler. xD

Also, my father has Alpha 1, that's about as bad as you can get in terms of lung diseases. It isn't a light spray of perfume or a hand lotion that will set off people's allergies/asthma/etc, it's when you BATHE in it. A light body spray shouldn't hurt anyone. I think I've had more asthma attacks triggered by old ladies in chanel no 5 than I have by accidently over applying my body sprays.
Saki_Watari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
PepperPerry

I think for when Ciel is a girl like you said a light floral scent is good. A strange suggestion. Purr by Katy Perry, its a beautiful floral scent. Maybe slightly more mature than what you're looking for but I think it would fit with the gender bend one. I would wear it if I was doing her/him :'D

Will do commissions if anyone is interested...
PepperPerry is offline   Reply With Quote