Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Introductions

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
ClumsyCostumery

Post New to All the Things

[tl;dr - Nerdy but not crafty, never cosplayed, here for tutorials and help. Thanks!]

Well...

I guess I should start by saying that I chose "ClumsyCostumery" as my username for a reason. I have never made a costume before (aside from putting together store-bought props and unmodified clothes) but I've always wanted to. Unfortunately, I have also never done any crafting aside from sewing in Home Economics in junior high, making some polymer clay figurines last year, and earning the Basket Weaving Boy Scout badge.

However, this year for GenCon I really want to go as either Mr. Incredible or Captain Jack Harkness. I've got more of a Mr. Incredible build (though minus the muscles) but I'm convinced I could pull off Captain Jack if I wore the trenchcoat.

Anyway, I was looking up various costume bits, and it occurred to me that surely there was some place where folks discussed making costumes as a hobby, and not just in an "Off-Topic" forum. A quick search led me here, but I'm still not sure I belong. I've looked through a few dozen threads, and I can see that, quite aside from having an abundance of skill and dedication, most posters here seem to be frequent cosplayers.

While I pride myself on being a book, videogame, and RPG nerd, I have never thought of myself as a cosplayer (even when I wore my Luigi costume to GenCon in 2011 and 2012). Anyway, I admit that I am mainly here to take advantage of the many resources gathered in the tutorial thread, and perhaps to look for some specific advice when I (inevitably) run into problems.

Thanks in advance for the help and if anyone wants to talk RPGs/videogames/books, feel free to send me a PM.
ClumsyCostumery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
ClumsyCostumery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClumsyCostumery View Post
A quick search led me here, but I'm still not sure I belong. I've looked through a few dozen threads, and I can see that, quite aside from having an abundance of skill and dedication, most posters here seem to be frequent cosplayers.

While I pride myself on being a book, videogame, and RPG nerd, I have never thought of myself as a cosplayer (even when I wore my Luigi costume to GenCon in 2011 and 2012).
Not that there's anything wrong with cosplay, of course, just that I've never had the time, money, or initiative to get involved before.
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Kumoshi
Just a cowardly montblanc

Welcome to cosplay.com!
Ah, the Incredibles...brings back a lot of fond memories. ^-^

AX 2014:
- Vanellope Von Schweetz (Wreck-it Ralph)
- Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)
- Isana Yashiro (K Project)
Kumoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Ilafatyu
That guy

If you're looking for help and advice, this place is pretty much exactly what you're after. Welcome to coscom, and I hope your costuming efforts end in success.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Infamous-san

Heeeeyyya ;D

Nya~ Everyone!

I'm a total newb! =P
I hope we can all be friends, and I'd love to talk to people and meet you guys at con.
I'm really derpy so sorry if I say something stupid or offensive ^__^" I mean no harm!

Anyway, I really need help with cosplay, but I realllllly want to make my own wigs :3

So yeah...
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Zukopanda

Welcome!
Zukopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
ClumsyCostumery

Thanks! Glad so see the community here is so active and friendly.