Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
iori587

Question About some Pants

im putting together a Terra Cosplay and i know he wears Hakama so im trying to look for some in his color but the problem is i dont really know what the color is.http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../72/TERRA1.png To me its looks kinda Khaki looking but i cant rally find any Khaki Colored Hakama so what are some colors tat look Similar
iori587 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Well, Terra's pants are similar to hakama, but they aren't straight-up traditional hakama like you can buy for martial arts. And yes, they are khaki.

You're probably not going to be able to just go to a martial arts or Asian clothing supplier and buy khaki hakama, or khaki anything that looks like hakama. You're better off having it custom-made, by yourself or by a commissioner if you can't do it yourself. They are really weird pants, I helped someone dissect them once to figure out how they were going to sew them, and they're a weird hakama/jeans hybrid.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Americans must have a different idea of khaki, because those pants look tan to me.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Generally speaking, going off popular dress pants brands, khaki is the name used for any shade of tan from slightly ecru to genuinely khaki to suntanned. Yep. And it's more likely that if I took a bolt of cotton twill or bottomweight off the rack, thinking it was the right or nearly-right color to make Terra's pants, the bolt would label the color "khaki." Not always, but often. Six of one, half dozen of the other if you ask me.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote