Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Sailor V

So, I didn't see a thread on her..So I thought I would make a new one with my questions..
So to start..Once I lose enough weight I will be starting my MtF transistion, and thus, making it easier to do all the female cosplays I want to do, V being the main one.
http://sailor-jeimi.deviantart.com/#/d5onm6j
There's a pic for those that need it to help.

Shirt:
Ok, so, see how her shirt is red and white? I have no idea what to do there..Does anyone know how to do that? I'm pretty sure it means I'm gonna have to alter a pattern and sew the red parts to the white parts to make a shirt..But I really have no idea..lol
Also, what fabric would be the best for this?

Skirt:
That's just a normal pleated skirt right? I think I can do that, there are patterns and tutorials lol but what about that trim at the bottom? Would I just use bias tape in that color? And would i put it on before, or after I pleat the skirt?

Shoulders:
On her shirt she has shoulder pad things. I know i can make them out of craft foam. Is this a good idea? How could I attach it to the shirt?

Sailor Fuku/bow:
I can follow a tutorial on this lol but what fabric do most people use for them?
to attach the bow, should I attach both the bow, and the area of the fuku the bow touches, to the shirt? I assume I could just make the broach out of sculpy, but a pin back on it and pin the bow and fuku to the shirt all at the same time..Just want others' opinions.

Glasses:
I just have no idea....I want them to be able to sit on my face where I can just take them off..I could buy fake glasses and pop the linses out and build around them, that's the easy part..But do they make transparent, um..whatever that part is called that goes over the ears on glasses..I would need them transparent in order to keep them on but so I can also remove them easily. If not, any suggestions?

I can figure out the rest, as I have seen tutorials all over for the gloves/glove rolls, and I know what heels to get.

Thanks for any help.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Hello! (: Here's my 2 cents. (:

Shirt: Yes altering a pattern would work. Also what would work is making the shirt out of the white fabric then appliqueing/top stitching on the reds. I would use a cotton for this.
The skirt is pretty simple as you said, be sure to put the bias on first! It would be hard otherwise.
For most sailor fuku with sleeves/shoulders like that I would use organza, but those look like craft foam might work best. I would attach them with velcro. (:
For the collar and the bow I would say use a cotton. Again for most fuku I would use a satin, but I think that would look a little funny with the rest of the outfit being matte/cotton.
I have no clue for the glasses though. ^^

Good luck! (: Hope this helped!
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Thanks so much. You know you are always helpful to me lol
That info is stuff I needed to know anyway, so of course it helped, no worries there lol
I think that velcro idea would work..That was my idea anyway, but I didn't know for sure.lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
KaienCross

Defiantly use a matte for the skirt. I made mine out of satin but for some reason it isn't shiny so it looks matte-ish but it looks a million times better than shiny satin. Erm. for the glasses you could get the shape cut out in red plastic and attach them to a thin metal glasses frame or depending on what your modelling skills are like you could make em out of sculpey and attach them to a glasses frame and as long as that frame is a thin metal like used for smaller prescription glasses they would sit on your face naturally!!

Will do commissions if anyone is interested...
KaienCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh thanks you. So is there a specific skirt pattern I should buy to make this skirt? Like what's a good one?

And that's a good idea, but I didn't want them to be on real glasses, because for one, the lenses of her glasses are HUGE and normal glasses won't be big enough..and 2, I didn't want the parts that go over the ears..You know the side parts of the glasses..I didn't want tose
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

The parts that go over your ears on glasses would be hidden by the wig mostly anyway... in the musicals all those masks were plastic looking frames anyhow and you never noticed. Or at least I never did! haha. You could make them red -- Minako is all about attention-seeking anyway :P

The skirt pattern is a circle skirt, I used this one: http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Tu...kirts-90497598
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
maskedrose

I don't get it... circle skirt? For this?

Why not just make a pleated skirt?
maskedrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea that circle shirt isn't the same as the one I need..I know I need a pleated one but does anyone have a good pattern for the right kind of pleated skirt?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Don't even worry about a pattern for pleated skirts.
What I do is take my waist measurement then multiply it by 3. This is how long you will need your fabric to be, then you just pleat it! (1 inch pleats)
Super simple!
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh....Do I just get a length of that measurement that's just a giant rectangle then? Sounds easy enough lol Also, I don't know HOW to pleat..So..I guess I will be looking that up too lol

When you say 1", do you mean the part that's on the inside, or the outside? Because the outside parts look way bigger so I have no idea lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
KaienCross

WHAT ICHIGO.M SAID! Its exactly what i did for my Sailor Venus cosplay! Its very simple to pleat. All you have to do is pick up the bit of the fabric you want to pleat at the place you want to pleat it and puch them together in a Z shape and make the Z at the back the length you want to make the pleat in your case an inch. For example

LIKE THIS. I'm a bad explainer. I like pictures.

Last edited by KaienCross : 01-14-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

OH!! I get it now lol For a second I was thinking the pleats looksed different but they don't..I mean, they're bigger then an inch, but yea..How do I keep the pleats in place? Just iron them? Like obviously the top will get sewn, but how does the bottom stay that way? also whats a good way to sew it up? I have a feeling normal cotton won't be the BEST idea as it has no stretch..So assume I've never made anything out of anything before and just starting and know NOTHING..Starting from scratch, what would be the best fabric (name) and best way to sew it up so the waistband has stretch to it without getting all bunched up?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I'm currently making my Super Sailor Moon skirt, which will be pleated, and will be my first time doing proper pleats (in past have done gathers or half-pleats), though I've already done the pattern, etc.

I used a klona cotton, but I too worried about the fact that it wouldn't stretch. I just measured my waist/hips whilst having the leotard on and just based it off of that. Always make it a little bigger, just in case.

Also, it's great that Kaien showed a demonstration, though personally, I think there are far too many pleats - but each to their own.

Also, Sailor V has that red stripe on the rim of the skirt, I'm currently working on stitching together the blue and yellow parts then once they are finished, they will be stitched to the white of the skirt. THEN pleated. Far more easier.

Pleating involves a lot of maths (well, it does for me anyway) trying to figure out the measurements and the spaces in between (I did about a 3cm gap in between).
I'll be uploading progress pictures of this process on my Deviantart at some point.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
KaienCross

Well I'm holding my school skirt now and its polyester and thats the kind of skirt and material you want to be using. and yeahh. As long as you really have a go with the iron and run it in quite well it stays. Mine has! At the top I have just sewn along and then folded it in on it self and stitched again to prevent the material fraying.

Steffi, it looks like there are too many on the photo but because i have netting underneath it looks like there aren't enugh when its one. Its just the way I have it on the picture.

Unread 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Polyester? It's not 100% poly I can tell you that..100% poly has zero stretch, meaning it would stay one size and never hold itself up without elastic, which will look bad..Most things that have stretch that are poly are a cotton/poly blend, but I wasn't sure if that has an actual name..so..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)