Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 11-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Kayla Marie C
The Frugal Cosplayer

Sailor Moon Help! (Skirt)

I'm almost ready to begin my Sailor Moon Cosplay after ten years of dreaming and running around watching the anime as a child.

I just ran into a problem with the skirt. It's minor, but I know that If I don't resolve it, I'll lose sleep over it, and I won't feel my best when I'm in the costume.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...orial#/d5hef24

I'm following this tutorial almost to a T. My problem lies in the skirt. I'd love to keep the pleated goodness, but I don't want the skirt to hang so flatly against my body like it does in SparklePipsi's photos. (If you're reading this SparklePipsi, I love you for putting this up and your tutorial is perfect, but it's just a personal preference of mine)

Is it a matter of not cutting the 'V' into the skirt? Or is it not cutting it so deeply? If anyone knows how to help, please please let me know.

Disney's Tangled: Rapunzel - Progress 50%- Sleeves are attached!
Frozen - Elsa Coronation - Future - Not quite planning.
Kayla Marie C is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I've been researching sailor moon costumes recently too, so here is my input. (:

I'm not too sure about the pleating honestly. Pleats just aren't really made to flare, they mainly lay flat. But I would always suggest experimenting. Start by following her tutorial for the pleats, but just pin it before cutting the 'v'. Then you can experiment with different ways of attaching the skirt and which would lay the way you want. Also, if you add another chunk of fabric (make the skirt longer) then do more/smaller pleats it may lay differently. This also depends on the fabric. They are using a cotton, something like a satin would lay differently.

Also I've seen some people gather and pleat their skirts (which is more Manga style, but I personally like it more than the flat skirts). That may work as well. Either way just try experimenting until you find what you want, and try not to cut your fabric until you are happy with it.

Edit: Also! I've seen people cut a circle skirt then pleat that into the waist band, that ends up with alot more fluffy goodness than just pleating does.

Edit 2! Here is a different tutorial that does the same thing as Pipsi's but has a circle skirt instead. Check it out!

Last edited by ichigo_m. : 11-17-2012 at 10:00 PM.
ichigo_m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
BeccaDoll
The genius ninja

If it's the puff you're after, you could perhaps try making a cardboard hoop to hang under the skirt to flare it out. I must admit, it does look better with the skirt flared. ^_________^

2014 Cosplays:
Homura Akemi-Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Hyuuga Hinata-Naruto Shippuden
Uzumaki Kushina-Naruto Shippuden
Princess Daisy-Super Mario Brothers
BeccaDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
DarkGlo

If you want Flare Which has ALWAYS Been my problem with most Sailor Moon Cosplays XD Use a Pettiskirt/Short Petticoat it'll give you the flare ur looking for just slip it on under the skirt or make one and sew it into the skirt
DarkGlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Kayla Marie C
The Frugal Cosplayer

Thank you all! I've decided that I will probably not cut the 'v' as deep as Pipsi stated, but just enough to make sewing it to the leotard easier ( rather than sewing a straight line into the 'v.' )

When I do my manga rendition of the cosplay, I'll use more of a tulle/ lighter fabric for the skirt, rather than the heavy poplin I'm using for the anime version.

Thank you for your input though! In an indirect way, you all helped me. :3

Disney's Tangled: Rapunzel - Progress 50%- Sleeves are attached!
Frozen - Elsa Coronation - Future - Not quite planning.
Kayla Marie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Derpstra
Seamstress

That's easy! Use tulle!
Make a thin tulle underskirt shorter than the skirt and attach it underneath. It's best if you put another layer of fabric under that in case it gets itchy. It would look like a pencil skirt and a tutu over top. That will make the pleated skirt extend and poof out like it does in the anime. :] tulle is very inexpensive. Make sure to get either blue or white.
Derpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
esclarmonde

Since this thread has been revived and I think it can be of help for who'll do a search in the future: box/inverted box pleats can be a good way to have a bit more volume, since they tend to "open" and not lie flat. Here's a very good tutorial for both: http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resourc...rted-box-pleat
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Emrys

Jumping in on the revived thread, even though it's not that old.

Kayla, when I did my manga version Neptune I didn't iron any pleats into the skirt, it's sort of just poofy and wavy and folded over on itself. No sharp angles. As long as you have a light, flowing fabric it should be easy to shape. Depending on how much volume you want, you might need to make many more pleats than usual.

If you wanted to make it REALLY poof out like the musical outfits you could use a petticoat or just layers underneath for volume.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote