Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 01-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2

Fabric Sales

Since tickets are being sold now, most people are probably starting their cosplay now.
So, a thread for fabric sales!

First, there's one this weekend at Fabricland(ON locations)
Jan. 17-19 (Thurs.-Sat.) 50-75% off.
GoddessDigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
Since tickets are being sold now, most people are probably starting their cosplay now.
So, a thread for fabric sales!

First, there's one this weekend at Fabricland(ON locations)
Jan. 17-19 (Thurs.-Sat.) 50-75% off.
what ones in ontario? western or other? I know the western stores are having up to 75% off or buy 1m get 2m from the same bolt free up until the 27th and its been on since like the 6th...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2

Ah, it just says participating Ontario stores. ._. Was in an email..
But, also checking the website, they currently have buy 1 metre, get 2 or 3 metres free (depending on what you get).
The regular ON Fabricland Flyer has buy 1m and get 2m or 3m free on selected fabrics until Jan. 20. If you are in Hamilton, I suggest heading to the Burlington store for better selection. I was at the Ottawa Street store and the selection was limited. There are no pattern specials, alas...
http://www.fabricland.ca/flyer/flyer.html

Fabricland Western (selected S. Ontario locations) has a pattern special for Premiere Members-$3.99 Butterick. Next week, members get 50% off Burda patterns and there are some nice ones for Spring 2013 (if you look through the booklet). http://www.fabriclandwestern.com/sales.php

Fabricland West (Manitoba to BC) had 50-70% off fall/winter coatings, fashion polyesters and all stock fleeces, 50% off flannelettes and sleepwear and 40% off fashion fabrics.
http://fabriclandwest.com/content/fi...yclearance.pdf

Fabricville (Quebec & Maritimes) has buy 1m get 2m free on fashion and drapery fabrics. Plus pattern specials. http://fabricville.com/ad_details.php?id=740

Last edited by GoddessDigi : 01-14-2013 at 03:38 PM.
GoddessDigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Prisca712

Great thread idea - I'm sure this'll be very helpful in the coming months!

This isn't technically a sale (since it's something that's there all the time), but for those in the Toronto area, Chu Shing Textiles (at 440 Queen Street W) always has a $1/yd section that is *excellent* for doing mockups and the like. The only caveat is that you have to buy a minimum of 5 yds. Occasionally some half-way decent lining fabric and cotton pops up in this section, so it's definitely worth checking out.

Also, they occasionally have nicer fabrics that are heavily discounted - the last time I was there, they had a small section of wool that was $5.00/yd (down from about $25.00/yd, I believe).
Prisca712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I'll also have to say I've been ordering from Fabric.com for the past 3 years on hard to find fabric with "no shipping issue" despite them shipping UPS air only.

You can usually get 15% off codes and they have regular 20% sales around holidays.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 01-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I'll also have to say I've been ordering from Fabric.com for the past 3-4 years on hard to find fabric with "no shipping issue" despite them shipping UPS air only.

You can usually get 15% off codes and they have regular 20% sales around holidays.
I've been looking at this site to get the fabric for my Ice Queen dress since I will need SO MUCH fabric, but I am hesitant to buy because i've herd horror stories of shipping being $50 for 5m of fabric, and then UPS charging $70 customs on top of that! What is the shipping usually for you? And where do I get these sale codes?
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

For one they don't ship land mail. The fabric order get shipped express air mail and even my most heavy order (a full bolt of fabric on the 5 foot roll) get to me just fine. they seem to process all orders internal for full UPS shipping labels as well which might help with the deliveries.

The codes sometimes if you leave item in your cart and save that cart under your account they will send you one for 15% off. Other times I will get one when I place a swatch order 2 weeks after it ships for 15% off.

Swatch shipping only cost $3 to Canada and allow me to test the fabrics I'm interested in first before committing to a full size.

You can also do "fabric.com code" searches.

Shipping is base on order weight so small/light order are $16 heavier ones are $30. My heaviest one with the roll was only $34.68

Actually my first order were in June 2010 for swatches after the heart break of Kongiku failure.

For me this can be cheaper then commuting to Toronto and searching the fabric stores there and hopping they have something that works. This is just like catalog shopping to me.

Plus the price are like 40% to 60% cheaper automatically at fabric.com compared to Canada seller.

That not to say I don't check out mu local Fabriclands and Len Mill's first.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 01-15-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

This is a great thread!! =D
Dose anyone know good places in Toronto easy to get to?
I haven't been to Toronto to fabric shop before and any advice would be great =D

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
AmuletCross

Fabricland is a great place

For the Jan. 17-19 50-75% off thing can I have more details plz? >< It's right before my exams but if it sounds good I really wanna go...
Sunday: AKB0048 Group cosplay as Tonomi

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rinrindesuu
AmuletCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
rair
Rair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareyuNanami View Post
This is a great thread!! =D
Dose anyone know good places in Toronto easy to get to?
I haven't been to Toronto to fabric shop before and any advice would be great =D
Fabric shopping Toronto is best done on Queen street. I don't have any specific stores, but when you walk down that street you will find tons of Fabric, bead and general craft and costume making stores.
rair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Quote:
Originally Posted by rair View Post
Fabric shopping Toronto is best done on Queen street. I don't have any specific stores, but when you walk down that street you will find tons of Fabric, bead and general craft and costume making stores.
I second this!

I hardly ever go to fabricland anymore since I go downtown for school and queen street>>>fabricland for both selection and pricing.

A good store for fabrics is World Sew, and Trillium is a good place to start since they have everything, including a lot of notions. Affordable Textiles is a good place to look if you can't find what you need at the other places, but they're not all that affordable, despite their name. These places all have sale bins outside which are $1.99~$2.99 per yard. The discounted fabric is pretty decent too. I once scored some bridal satin for $2.99!

Designer Textiles is a great place too since they'll cut you swatches for free if you're a student.

There's also a leather store, which is amazing if you're looking for buckles, grommets, leather, or anything along those lines. I forget the name, but it's down a side street in the basement.

Sussman's is the best place to get hard-to-find trim, but it can be a bit pricey there.

Arton beads is a great beading store (actually 2 stores right next to each other, one with glass/more expensive beads and one with plastic ones)

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Also I should say sign up for the Fabric.com newsletter as they send out sale code notices. Right now they are having 20% of $40 or more with the code: SNOW2013

For Toronto also Checkout King Textiles on Spadina and Queen on the intersections south side.
http://kingtextiles.ca/

Basically a number of fabric store can be found on Queen west of Spadina.

I also usually hit up the beading stores there as well.
and Trillium Button Inc is great for buttons and belt buckles (found my Large belt bulks there for Yukio)

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 01-16-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
AkinaNokita

I just got back from Designer Fabrics on Queen St. between Dufferin and Lansdowne and I cannot recommend this place enough. I found the variety of fabrics and patterns to be fantastic. I found my perfect fabric there for the costume I'm currently working on.
AkinaNokita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Prisca712

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post
I second this!

I hardly ever go to fabricland anymore since I go downtown for school and queen street>>>fabricland for both selection and pricing.

A good store for fabrics is World Sew, and Trillium is a good place to start since they have everything, including a lot of notions. Affordable Textiles is a good place to look if you can't find what you need at the other places, but they're not all that affordable, despite their name. These places all have sale bins outside which are $1.99~$2.99 per yard. The discounted fabric is pretty decent too. I once scored some bridal satin for $2.99!

Designer Textiles is a great place too since they'll cut you swatches for free if you're a student.

There's also a leather store, which is amazing if you're looking for buckles, grommets, leather, or anything along those lines. I forget the name, but it's down a side street in the basement.

Sussman's is the best place to get hard-to-find trim, but it can be a bit pricey there.

Arton beads is a great beading store (actually 2 stores right next to each other, one with glass/more expensive beads and one with plastic ones)
^THIS x 1000 to everything you said! Since discovering Queen West, I haven't set foot in a Fabricland in *years*. I have to ask - where did you find bridal satin for $2.99?? That is an amazing deal!

The leather store is called Leather & Sewing Supply Depot and it's at 7 Vanauley St. Not only does it have buckles and grommets and whatnot, but they even have corsetry supplies (like spring steel and spiral steel boning! ) and a decent selection of interfacing - I was able to score some 48" wide fusible canvas interfacing for only about $5.00/m.
Prisca712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Make a note of that Leather & Sewing Supply Depot. I pass EuroFab but that street doesn't look like it has anything down it. What building is it in?

My Len's Mill has spiral steel boning with no cases in there bridal section and the plastic stuff pre-cased.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale