Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4007 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #63031
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

Huzzah! When I'm an old man I'll be able to honestly complain that I had to carry around 25KG sacks of coal in the snow.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #63032
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
This article is absolutely fabulous. I'm not a commissioner, but I find it so irritating when I see or hear about people trying to get the price on an item down by saying things like "but the materials only cost $10, so why is it $40? That's way overpriced." or "but it's something I could make myself if I wanted, can't you bring the price down?".
Emmers sells commissions, or at least tries to -quiet sobbing- and I've dealt with one guy who seems to sum up the concept of disrespectful consumer across the board.

On occasion I will desperately try to gain commissions anyway I can, such as by lowering my prices to a point where I am just about losing money. On one such occasion earlier in my selling life I was offering $5 digital sketches and provided an example of what that meant; it was rough lines and well..sketchy. As one might imagine. Since I am using far less supplies through digital work I figured offering some dirt ass cheap sketches would bring me in some income I wasn't getting anytime soon.

I got one customer who asked for a drawing of his anthro dog chick, particular emphasis on her bending over with her butt being enormous. Okay fine. This pose and detail is going far beyond what I described in my sales but I need the cash. So over the course of two days I manage to get the sketch done, having shown him WIP's along the way and getting approval. When I sent him the final he said he didn't like it 'but I guess I'll have to pay for it'. So in scramble to not have someone give me a bad name early on I told him I'd completely redraw it. At this point I not only showed him work-in-progress snips but asked if he had a specific pose reference in mind and was told no. (customers often do have pose references in mind so I find it good to ask ahead of time) But on the second drawing he provided me a specific pose he wanted FROM THE START.

So in 4 days I finished two full body sketches, during which I was getting constant messages asking where it was. As if I could finish a full bodied sketch in an hour. After the second one he complained he lines weren't straight. I provided him with my example of what a 'sketch' was considered, again, and offered him discounted rates for lineart and color work. He said "Oh I guess it will cost more then" and by then I was tired and angry and sick of working with him so I took his $5 and never heard from him after I sent the file over.

Looking back on it now I would have said no to a lot of things and realize that he probably took my first drawing and got 2 for 1. I shouldn't have offered him deals on the other work when it was clear he was just trying to get more and more out of me and not respecting my time as being valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I admit - during winter break, when I have no homework, my laptop is horrifically neglected in favor of books, video games and catching up TV shows that I miss while I'm off being a good student. But 18 updates is insane. I just assume its because of windows 7. My little netbook runs on XP and rarely has more than one or two updates every other month.
I still have Vista on this old as shit laptop I got second handed fro my mother. Soo.yeah. Boo.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #63033
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Emmers that dude is an assbutt and needs to crawl back to the halls of Moria from whence he came.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #63034
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
eat my ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
This will never, ever, ever, ever happen.

Even in alternate realities --- rest assured.
Eh. I might.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #63035
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Emmers that dude is an assbutt and needs to crawl back to the halls of Moria from whence he came.
It wasn't worth it for $5 that's for sure.

I already charge like, really a bare minimum for my prints and crafts :| so it's something I really regret.

He basically wanted this pose copied and swapped with his own character, at least my pose was friken' unique man.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #63036
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
It wasn't worth it for $5 that's for sure.

I already charge like, really a bare minimum for my prints and crafts :| so it's something I really regret.

He basically wanted this pose copied and swapped with his own character, at least my pose was friken' unique man.
Let's throw him to the wargs.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #63037
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Eh. I might.
It would probalby be pretty tough though. Maybe if you pound it with a tenderizer and marinate overnight. Or put it in a stew.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #63038
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Learning experience for Emmers. Sometimes you gotta say no and be way more confident. If someone is commissioning me it's because they clearly want something I have to offer, they aren't doing be a favor like a friend loaning me money. They are my customer, and my own standards have to stand.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #63039
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

my phone just gave me a heart attack - all of my contacts vanished for a few minutes. Just as a I was about to back them up to my gmail. Luckily they came back and now are backed up.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #63040
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
It would probalby be pretty tough though. Maybe if you pound it with a tenderizer and marinate overnight. Or put it in a stew.
Oh, I'd definitely pound it.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #63041
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Definitely.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #63042
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
BWAH HAHA

Reminds me of a snappy comeback we used to use. If someone said to kiss their ass, we'd reply, "Point out a spot. It all looks like ass to me." I considered using that on Arc, but even though I like to give him shit, it seemed too mean.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #63043
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

My hairdresser lied. I cannot re-create how my hair looked when she done simply letting it air dry. It doesn't look bad, just not as good as it did Tuesday.

I need a diffuser for my blow dryer.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #63044
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
My hairdresser lied. I cannot re-create how my hair looked when she done simply letting it air dry. It doesn't look bad, just not as good as it did Tuesday.

HAIRDRESSERS SEEM TO DO THAT A LOT EH.

I keep getting weird stylists who seem to ignore what I want and do whatever then end up cutting my hair significantly shorter then I want.

I once spent THREE HOURS getting my hair cut when I was around 11 or 12. My mom was watching the whole time and over those three hours the stylist barely cut off half an inch from my hair. My mom didn't take me back again and when I think about it now the woman was probably new the salon was terrified to cut my hair too short so she just scrambled around shaving off as little as she could at a time before realizing that several HOURS passed.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #63045
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:

No haircut ever looks as good as it does when you come out of the salon no matter how much the stylist insists. This is a basic truth of hairstylists. If it looked that good they'd be out of a job, and if they straight up told you you'd never be able to recreate their wizardry at home then they'd also be out of a job and also out of you buying the expensive products they sell in the vain hope that you will be able to recapture the magic by yourself.

I had a diffuser for my blow dryer but it is lost. I should just get a new one.