Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3917 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #63046
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

My mom doesn't lie to me, she is brutal
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #63047
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I hear tell that a diffuser is what gives 'beachy waves'

In other news, add 'diffuser ' to the list of words I had to add into my spellcheckers database.
SOME GOOD YOU ARE HUH?!
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #63048
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

This just in: I need a blowdryer. AND a diffuser.

Apparently my old dryer fell and broke 3 years ago and my mom tossed it. This shows how often I blow dry anything.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #63049
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

My campus is doing a Biggest Loser-style competition.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison

Last edited by penny_dreadful : 01-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #63050
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Today I went to see another doctor, since I needed to see my primary doctor to get a referral for a psychiatrist. o^o I was officially diagnosed with depression, and they gave me a prescription for Prozac, which I start taking today. The soonest I can get in to see the psychiatrist is February 7th, so the doctor is having me set up an appointment with a counselor until then while I take the medication.

Tomorrow I'm going back to school for the second half of the day (I've been out of school all week). I'm really nervous, the more I think about it. Everyone except for two people think I've been out sick with the flu. My mom talked with the doctor a lot, and I think she's a little more understanding about my situation right now. The doctor and her said that if people ask, I shouldn't be ashamed to tell them the truth. I still don't know, though. I figure if my friends ask, I'll tell them the truth.

Thank you again to those who have been responding to me with both advice and words of encouragement in the past few days; it really does mean a lot to me. This has been going on for a long time in my life, and I feel like it's just gotten to the point where I can't handle this alone anymore. It feels weird to be getting help from doctors and medicines... but in a way it makes me feel a little hopeful, like things might get better.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #63051
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

If you don't feel comfortable telling anyone, you don't have to. It doesn't mean you're ashamed, just that it's no one's buisness but yours where you were.

If you're really anxious about it ask your mom to talk to the school, they may be able to help you come up with a plan. (Give you a permanent pass to the nurse if you start to feel overwhelmed, set up a tutor if you can't handle full days, ect).

I'm glad you're on a medication, I hope it works for you. Make sure you tell someone IMMEDIATELY if you start to feel more depressed or sucidal. And if the side effects are too bad don't be afraid to ask your psychiatrist if you can switch.

Good luck!
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #63052
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
Today I went to see another doctor, since I needed to see my primary doctor to get a referral for a psychiatrist. o^o I was officially diagnosed with depression, and they gave me a prescription for Prozac, which I start taking today. The soonest I can get in to see the psychiatrist is February 7th, so the doctor is having me set up an appointment with a counselor until then while I take the medication.

Tomorrow I'm going back to school for the second half of the day (I've been out of school all week). I'm really nervous, the more I think about it. Everyone except for two people think I've been out sick with the flu. My mom talked with the doctor a lot, and I think she's a little more understanding about my situation right now. The doctor and her said that if people ask, I shouldn't be ashamed to tell them the truth. I still don't know, though. I figure if my friends ask, I'll tell them the truth.

Thank you again to those who have been responding to me with both advice and words of encouragement in the past few days; it really does mean a lot to me. This has been going on for a long time in my life, and I feel like it's just gotten to the point where I can't handle this alone anymore. It feels weird to be getting help from doctors and medicines... but in a way it makes me feel a little hopeful, like things might get better.
I'm glad that you got help before it was too late. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with depression after I had tried to overdose on Thanksgiving. I was put in a Mental Hospital (not in a negative term) and then put into a special school where they focused on dealing with personal issues. Coming back to my real school was hard because everyone was asking where I was. I then became an anonymous student councelor to help others with person issues like depression.

As far as other students go, you should not be ashamed, however, it is completely your choice whether or not you want to tell them what happened.

I promise that if you keep a positive outlook, things will get better. You SHOULD feel hopeful because the future is bright, darling! <3 There are tons of people who care about you and will help you through any problem that you may encounter. I wish only the best for you.
And all at once, I know everything is gone

Last edited by OtakuSpark : 01-17-2013 at 01:51 PM.
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #63053
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

Somebody come over here and give me a swift kick to the ass for continuously procrastinating on making an appointment to get my cavities filled.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #63054
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
It feels weird to be getting help from doctors and medicines... but in a way it makes me feel a little hopeful, like things might get better.
I sincerely hope that it will.

I wasn't diagnosed with depression until I was in my 20's but struggled with it, well, pretty much as far back as I can remember. And it wasn't until my diagnosis and targeted therapy that I began to be able to cope with it effectively. So, while everyone is different, please know that it is possible to overcome.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #63055
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
My campus is doing a Biggest Loser-style competition.

Heads up Penny that direct links to funnyjunk.com

Also, fuck that noise.

Quote:

If you aren't comfortable discussing your situation with others you don't have to. That doesn't mean you are ashamed of what's going on, sometimes we just need our privacy and to have private things. If you do chose to tell people what's going on that's your choice and you can be as detailed or vague as you want;

"I was diagnosed with depression and I am now taking a prescription to help me out."

"I am struggling with some personal things right now, please don't press me"

Also keep in mind that you may need to find the right dose of medication for your needs, it's not at all uncommon for people to have their dosages changed to find what suits them best because everyone has different needs and reactions to it. So if something doesn't feel right, particularly if you find yourself extremely sluggish , having anxiety issues or panic attacks, big changes in your mood, or if you have sudden suicidal feelings. It's kind of strange to think that something you take to feel less depressed might make you feel these things, but everyone is different and there is no one 'right' dose for everybody. If something feels wrong or weird make sure to let your doctor know.

Going back into the normal swing of things can feel kinda scary, and I think that's an okay feeling when something really big happens in your life. What helps me with my anxiety stuff to set time points in my day for things I am feeling anxious about. For example:

Say you arrive to school at 12pm and you have three classes before school ends at 3pm.

Set one point at 12pm when you arrive; this is the starting point. Clearly :P Emmers so smart.

Set another for your second class beginning at 1pm; you're tracking points in time that are leading you closer to the goal you have of being somewhere you are more comfortable so it gives you a solid 'hold' on a point in time versus flailing around wildly.

Then another point for your final class starting at 2pm.

And finally the final point being 3pm when school ends.

Having various specific points in time give me a hold on things. So if there's a party I am going to and I know I can't be there for long without getting anxious and miserable I can say that I am going to arrive at 5pm and leave at 8pm. If I am feeling better at 8pm I'll allow myself to stay longer until I feel my threshold is being pushed. So if 8pm comes along and I am feeling pretty good I might stay until 9 or 10. Regardless, having a set timeline prepared in my head makes it feel like I have a solid grip on how my day will go instead of worrying all the time.

As you can see here a lot of us on the forum have struggled with depression and other disorders (which sounds like such a weird clinical word, but I am unsure of what else to call it), it might be really hard sometimes and everyone will work with their own problems in different ways but you don't always have to live in depression. It is something you can overcome with time and the therapy that works best for you.

e
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #63056
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Well, EFF.

It was a gif of some guy jumping out a window, though.

Why is it so hard to find IT Crowd gifs?
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #63057
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

And now, I have to get ready for work. Last shift I worked was Monday the 7th, since the one I should've worked on the 12th I had to call in sick for. This is gonna be a tad weird.

Also, Mom is making from-scratch apple pie. Oh god.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #63058
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Well, EFF.

It was a gif of some guy jumping out a window, though.

Why is it so hard to find IT Crowd gifs?
You thinking of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #63059
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post

So if something doesn't feel right, particularly if you find yourself extremely sluggish , having anxiety issues or panic attacks, big changes in your mood, or if you have sudden suicidal feelings. It's kind of strange to think that something you take to feel less depressed might make you feel these things, but everyone is different and there is no one 'right' dose for everybody. If something feels wrong or weird make sure to let your doctor know.

Going back into the normal swing of things can feel kinda scary, and I think that's an okay feeling when something really big happens in your life. What helps me with my anxiety stuff to set time points in my day for things I am feeling anxious about. For example:
Yes, I was given this huge packet about side effects and how sometimes the medicine will do the opposite of what it's supposed to... so I'm supposed to keep track of my moods in case I start to feel worse. I'm hoping that with some counseling and seeing a psychiatrist, they'll get me on the best mix of things to balance me out. It took my brother over two years to find the right combination of medicine and therapy for him, but since then he's been doing better than I've ever seen him.

As for the setting goals and points in time, I will definitely do that. At first I was adamantly against even going to school tomorrow, but the doctor says it's best if I ease myself back into it as soon as possible... and he's the professional, so I'm giving it a try. Today I went to the grocery store with my mom after my doctor's appointment, and it was a bit unnerving for me, but the place was nearly empty so I was alright. I don't really know why I suddenly don't to go anywhere, but oh well. I think I'll feel a bit better if I set time goals, at least it seems a lot less scary then going to school from noon to three.

Quote:
I sincerely hope that it will.

I wasn't diagnosed with depression until I was in my 20's but struggled with it, well, pretty much as far back as I can remember. And it wasn't until my diagnosis and targeted therapy that I began to be able to cope with it effectively. So, while everyone is different, please know that it is possible to overcome.
Thank you, it is very encouraging to hear that not only have other people gone through this sort of thing, but that you and others have gotten through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
If you don't feel comfortable telling anyone, you don't have to. It doesn't mean you're ashamed, just that it's no one's buisness but yours where you were.

If you're really anxious about it ask your mom to talk to the school, they may be able to help you come up with a plan. (Give you a permanent pass to the nurse if you start to feel overwhelmed, set up a tutor if you can't handle full days, ect).
Yes, luckily I have a friend at school who has dealt with this sort of thing. Due to medical issues in combination with depression, he was out of school for a couple of months, and he is very encouraging and helpful in getting me eased back into school. My parents let the school know about why I was gone, and tomorrow I think I'm going to meet with my school counselor just to touch base on where I am, and what can help me get through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
I'm glad that you got help before it was too late. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with depression after I had tried to overdose on Thanksgiving. I was put in a Mental Hospital (not in a negative term) and then put into a special school where they focused on dealing with personal issues. Coming back to my real school was hard because everyone was asking where I was. I then became an anonymous student councelor to help others with person issues like depression.

I promise that if you keep a positive outlook, things will get better. You SHOULD feel hopeful because the future is bright, darling! <3 There are tons of people who care about you and will help you through any problem that you may encounter. I wish only the best for you.
I'm sorry to hear about that; that must have been very difficult for you, and I'm very glad that you worked through it. I feel very thankful that I have people in my life who are helping me through this. It's a bit surprising and strange to suddenly have all these people helping me, because I'm so used to handling everything alone. ^^;

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #63060
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
You thinking of this?
That's the bunny.