Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3185 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #63061
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
Tomorrow I'm going back to school for the second half of the day (I've been out of school all week). I'm really nervous, the more I think about it. Everyone except for two people think I've been out sick with the flu. My mom talked with the doctor a lot, and I think she's a little more understanding about my situation right now. The doctor and her said that if people ask, I shouldn't be ashamed to tell them the truth. I still don't know, though. I figure if my friends ask, I'll tell them the truth.
Think of it this way - if you'd been home because of projectile vomiting, you wouldn't feel ashamed, but you also wouldn't necessairly feel the need to share all the details. Your medical situation is your own business and you have every right to be private about it and share only as much as you are comfortable with. You can tell people that you were home with bad headaches and stomach pains which is the truth. Depression, stress and anxiety can cause physical symptoms.

I'm glad that you are getting treatment and that your mom is being more understanding. Best of luck to you.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #63062
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Still genuinely upset that my best medic and second best soldier in the game died in XCOM.

I've been naming all of the soldiers after my friends as well so there came the awkward moment when I had to tell my flatmate that she was beaten to death by a giant alien.

I've actually decided to delete that run, I can't go on without her. It's like if halfway though Mass Effect 3 you fucked up and got Garrus killed and you could never get him back. It would be heartbreaking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #63063
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Can't you just load your save (or restore from a backup, assuming you're a member of the PC Master Race).

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #63064
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Still genuinely upset that my best medic and second best soldier in the game died in XCOM.

I've been naming all of the soldiers after my friends as well so there came the awkward moment when I had to tell my flatmate that she was beaten to death by a giant alien.

I've actually decided to delete that run, I can't go on without her. It's like if halfway though Mass Effect 3 you fucked up and got Garrus killed and you could never get him back. It would be heartbreaking!
MONSTER, YOU MONSTER! NEVER THREATEN GARRUS DEATH.

My friend did a run of X-Com where he made me 3 times and I died all 3 times. Which is bullcrap because I was brought in early where his tech/weapons/etc were all level bullshit. My wife and several friends were brought in when he was level awesome and OWNED. Salt in the wound.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #63065
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
Yes, I was given this huge packet about side effects and how sometimes the medicine will do the opposite of what it's supposed to... so I'm supposed to keep track of my moods in case I start to feel worse. I'm hoping that with some counseling and seeing a psychiatrist, they'll get me on the best mix of things to balance me out. It took my brother over two years to find the right combination of medicine and therapy for him, but since then he's been doing better than I've ever seen him.

As for the setting goals and points in time, I will definitely do that. At first I was adamantly against even going to school tomorrow, but the doctor says it's best if I ease myself back into it as soon as possible... and he's the professional, so I'm giving it a try. Today I went to the grocery store with my mom after my doctor's appointment, and it was a bit unnerving for me, but the place was nearly empty so I was alright. I don't really know why I suddenly don't to go anywhere, but oh well. I think I'll feel a bit better if I set time goals, at least it seems a lot less scary then going to school from noon to three.
That's good they gave you that, a lot of folks who have taken meds tell me that their doctors gave them no heads up and they had to search for their side-effect symptoms on their own. Then again, those clearly where not competent doctors so I am glad you found someone who works well with you.

Going back into the world after having something life changing happen can be weird and scary. When I first had my meeting with a school counselor who found out I was depressed and had self-harmed she had to walk me from the office to my class because it was a liability for me to be alone since I'd shown self-harm habits. It wasn't fun to have to go from counselor to counselor being told this and that from people who shouldn't have been working with me. (One guy claimed my angled bangs where me 'hiding my face' because of my anxiety. I just liked angled bangs...)

After I started seeing the child psychologist it felt like everyone in the world knew that I was going. Even if logically I knew there was no possible way for these people to know what I was doing I still convinced myself that people could 'tell' that I was seeing a doctor and thought I was a weirdo. But there is nothing to be guilty or ashamed of, even if someone does know what's happening. Mental illness doesn't make you a bad person or weird. If you where vomiting or had a serious illness you might not want to let people know you're throwing up all day or have the mudbutt but you aren't going to be ashamed of it right?

For me personally my whole experience with counselors and psychologists was VERY negative so it contributed to my feelings of anxiety and paranoia. Which where also fed by social anxiety disorder. So it just got out of hand for a while. What finally made me feel comfortable talking about it was years later coming to the realization that having a mental illness doesn't make me who I am; it isn't what defines me as a person. It's just one thing about me that I struggle with and that doesn't make me a bad person or weird. So if people know about my mental illness it isn't something I feel shameful about anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
That's the bunny.
I find that gif listed as an 'abandon thread' gif a lot for future reference. Says Emmers, Queen of Gifs.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #63066
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Can't you just load your save (or restore from a backup, assuming you're a member of the PC Master Race).
Nope playing on IRONMAN mode, when you get no save games. If someone dies THEY DIE! I tried rooting around in the steam folder looking for saves but the best I could do was load a save literally RIGHT BEFORE SHE DIES... I'm not a masochist so I deleted it forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #63067
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Nope playing on IRONMAN mode, when you get no save games.
Dude, you're playing for keeps! I normally avoid those modes unless I hate myself at the moment.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #63068
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Almost every time I'm at the grocery store the person behind me always try to slowly cut me in line. Am I the only person who deals with this?

Whatever, got myself some guacamole. Gotta love that guacamole.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #63069
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
BWAH HAHA

Reminds me of a snappy comeback we used to use. If someone said to kiss their ass, we'd reply, "Point out a spot. It all looks like ass to me." I considered using that on Arc, but even though I like to give him shit, it seemed too mean.
Naw, go nuts, I probably would of responded by going OH HO HO! snapping my fingers into a finger point at you, you crazy gal you.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #63070
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
If someone said to kiss their ass, we'd reply, "Point out a spot. It all looks like ass to me."
I love comebacks like these like you wouldn't believe XD
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #63071
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Dude, you're playing for keeps! I normally avoid those modes unless I hate myself at the moment.
I never play them because I don't find them in the least bit entertaining.

Unread 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #63072
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Oh man, when I can come up with responses like that, I love them too. Unfortunately I'm plagued by 'staircase wit' all too often...
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #63073
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I never play them because I don't find them in the least bit entertaining.
I can understand some of the appeal in the challenge. You don't have a fallback, it's survive or die trying.

I see it as masochism, but succeeding through a game in that mode is probably as gleeful as going through Dead Space 2's Hardcore mode.
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #63074
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I can understand some of the appeal in the challenge. You don't have a fallback, it's survive or die trying.

I see it as masochism, but succeeding through a game in that mode is probably as gleeful as going through Dead Space 2's Hardcore mode.
For me any game I like, no matter how much, isn't going to be much more than a memory in a few months time (and I'll probably lose my save when my computer's drive next dies anyway unless it's backed up on a cloud server or something). I don't get any sense of achievement from completing super duper hard modes and the like (or from farming achievements).

Unread 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #63075
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I have gummy bears, I don't care what happens for the rest of the night.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote