Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Lynnetastic
Cosplay Newbie

Measurements!

Hey guys. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I really need an answer. ><
My measurements are all funny. I don't know if I do it wrong or it's just the way it is.
My typical size in denim jeans/shorts is between a 4-6, usually 6.
Most consider that to be a waist measurement of around 29 inches. But when I measure my own waist I get something funky like 33-34.
I don't know if I'm measuring in the wrong place or not but you can see why this would be a bother because constructing cosplay without a definite waist measurement is certainly tricky!
Thank you to anyone out there who can help. ^_^
Lynnetastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
rndmguy

I'm not totally sure about women's clothes but it's likely the same.

Pants sizes are vanity measurements. A guy wearing a 36 jeans may be able to fit in them with anywhere between an actual 38-40" waist depending on the brand. A lot of my jeans practically fall off of me without my belt on tightly because I for some reason buy them closer to my true waist size.

If I recall correctly, the right place to measure the waist for a woman is at the narrowest point. That should be pretty high above the naval. For men, the true waist is about right at the naval, but most of us younger ones can measure a bit lower since we rarely wear our pants at the true waist.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Lynnetastic
Cosplay Newbie

It's a shame that they do that, it gets kinda confusing. haha
I just found it weird that universally a size 6 = 29 inches. Not that the label says that, but you know what I mean?
And so I went by that and of course bought jeans with the 29 inch label and they fit absolutely perfect, maybe even a bit loose.
So I'm kind of unsure at the moment. :/
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Kiro

It is really confusing.

Currently, my true waist size is 36" and I wear a men's size 34 comfortably. Back when I could wear a men's size 33 comfortably, I could also fit a boy's size 20 without too much discomfort (felt like it had a lower rise than my usual jeans). As a kid, I jumped from a boy's size 16 to a men's size 32.

I'm not certain, but wouldn't sewing patterns go by your true size and not the size on the labels? Keeping in mind that different brands also mean different measurements when referring to same sizes across different brands.

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
It is really confusing.

Currently, my true waist size is 36" and I wear a men's size 34 comfortably. Back when I could wear a men's size 33 comfortably, I could also fit a boy's size 20 without too much discomfort (felt like it had a lower rise than my usual jeans). As a kid, I jumped from a boy's size 16 to a men's size 32.

I'm not certain, but wouldn't sewing patterns go by your true size and not the size on the labels? Keeping in mind that different brands also mean different measurements when referring to same sizes across different brands.
For sewing, definitely the exact measurements (usually in inches), when you say that you're a "size 3" then they assume that you can fit under these measurements for each part of the body, and you realize that it can be tight/loose on different parts.

Clothing sizes in general are different depending on gender and age. A boy's size 16 (which is 28" at the waist and 34" at the hip) is close to a men's 32 (size depends if you like it resting around your waist or hip). The difference is the rise, since we tend to stop growing taller once in adulthood.

A lot of women's sizes still use the latter, mainly to induce the psychology of small numbers. ("I can fit into a size 2 again!"), and to distinguish the differences of men's and women's clothing (Men's gives you exact measurements in inches, which are always higher)

I guess wikipedia is your friend too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Kiro

That clears a few things up. Thanks.

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Lynnetastic
Cosplay Newbie

Oh Kiro, you're going to Katsucon this year?
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #8
Kaliza

Is that right? Size 6? Man, my body proportions must be even more screwed up than I thought! No wonder pants never fit me right.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Arti

Well, the problem with these standardized measurements was that they were using military women in the post WWII era (who were relatively fit) to make up the majority of the data, then cherry picked a few points off and voila...

So for body types that aren't ideal to the healthy, fit women used in their samples, then it's probably a reason why it's off to you.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Kiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnetastic View Post
Oh Kiro, you're going to Katsucon this year?
Yeah. It'll be my first Katsucon. You?

Been involuntarily fasting the past few days (more details in a different thread) and discovered that I fit my boy size 20 jeans better now at 178 lbs than I did at 167 lbs. O.O

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
tereshkova2001

I wear roughly a size 4 in storebought women's clothes but I use sewing pattern size 12. You _must_ go by measurements for patterns.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

it really depends on the brand. what is labelled as a size 4 at maurices can be a 7/8 at walmart. i have both of these and can still squeeze into them with a 38" hip measurement

when sewing, you have to make absolutely sure you take your measurements correctly and accurately to avoid using the wrong pattern. you can always take something in, but it's really hard to add material if the pieces are too small

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote