Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #46
Tigersoul

*Raises paw* me too, never allowed to have long green/blue hair I wanted or even wear 99% of anything I wanted (to the point of "No graphics shirts" and even "No dark colored shirts"! I'm starting to see a slightly disturbing trend here....

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #47
MedievalGirl

Heh. One of the cool things about being a "mature" cosplayer is making costumes for my kids. Even the baby got into the act this year.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #48
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

There's a youtube video out there [right here!], where someone asks cosplayers, "What's their job?" and one of them happens to be a attorney. A job where your credibility is everything from the moment you walk in that court room and even before, it says something. If a cosplayer is willing to admit on film for the world to know that they are a attorney, then you should not be afraid.

In my experience, if you hang around enough conventions, you'll find some people with really respectable jobs like a dean at a college. Had I started when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have had the money to fund the R&D that went into my wings nor would have a mechanical engineer to consult.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #49
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I mostly do steampunk and Victorian stuff so age is definitely not a concern there. The pink Lolita I have was more for fun to see if I could still pull it off. This was taken not long ago at a steampunk book signing and I will have many more pictures soon when the big Victorian gala happens at the end of the month here. This is my neo Victorian Gothic aristocrat outfit. I am in my mid 30's but some tell me I don't look it lol

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3339787/

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #50
AceKasbo

Having wanted to get into Cosplay for years, I feel like I'm behind schedule. I'm gonna turn 40 in May and X Con World in myrtle beach will be the first anime/comic book/gaming convention i've ever been to. I plan to make a SSj4 Goku outfit and go as that ...luckly he's about that that age i think
AceKasbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #51
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Okay so I didn't read all the posts past OP because I really didn't feel like it but honestly, there is no age limit to cosplay! I'm turning 25 this year....I got into it when I was 18-19 years old and I plan on cosplaying for a very long time. I know people who are well into their 30s and 40s who still cosplay. There's no age limit!! Now if you're going for a government job I wouldn't go around telling everybody that you do it. It is still looked down upon in some places. But that's the beautiful thing about making separate pages on facebook (and other social media sites) to seperate your professional self and you hobby self.

I'd say go for it love! It's a great thing! I met my fiance through it and made some of the greatest friends a girl could ask for.

~Upcoming Cons & Costumes~
Holiday Matsuri 2013 - Anna (Frozen), Peppermint Parlor Bunny
EvilCon 2014 - TBD
Megacon - Sakizou Celes, Red Bimbette Caludia (Beauty and the Beast)
Bellecon 2014 - Scanty (SaSwGB)

Facebook * Deviantart
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #52
starnes82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceKasbo View Post
Having wanted to get into Cosplay for years, I feel like I'm behind schedule. I'm gonna turn 40 in May and X Con World in myrtle beach will be the first anime/comic book/gaming convention i've ever been to. I plan to make a SSj4 Goku outfit and go as that ...luckly he's about that that age i think
i started cosplaying last year. i just turned 30. it was something i wanted to do for along time, since high school. but, i never had the funds and i was afraid what people would say about me doing it.
starnes82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #53
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

Mature? What's that? I just pretend to be an adult so I can pay rent and make enough money to support my creative habits.

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
siyrean

I went to a steampunk convention for the first time this year, and let me tell ya, everyone was dressed up and if you were under 30, you were the youngen. not only that but everyone looked amazing, why? Because we can actually afford it at that age

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver.
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #55
Khorrupt

Personally, I'm sixteen, so I'm still "of cosplaying age", you might say, but frankly, I would consider myself the same way if I was 28, 35, hell, even 40+.

People think of cosplay as something childish, but cosplay is just a hobby -- it's no different than someone who likes to paint or someone who likes to play an instrument; it's merely a hobby, and it's your free time spent doing it, so it doesn't matter if people think it's immature. (There's always a new derogatory word for any given hobby; don't listen to them, do what you want.)
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #56
Ron Jr

Cosplay is not just Anime. It could be Star Trek, Dr. Who, Star Wars, Disney, Potter just about anything. I am 53 married with an adult daughter (who also cosplays) and a proud member of the 501st. I see no reason not to cosplay at any age.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #57
interstellarowl

I've had this same feeling, and to quite honest was a bit depressed for awhile about it. I didn't start cosplay until I was 22, this thread makes me a bit happier to know I'm not alone and not to worry about it.

I get a bit of an edge because my girlfriend is 4 years younger than me and my friends are younger than me so I can get away with it longer as well. :…
interstellarowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #58
MetalArtisan

I'm twenty six, and didn't go to my first con until after I had finished college.
Your age isn't really a big deal - the average anime con crowd tends to be young, certainly, because most Americans weren't exposed to anime until the early 2000's. Conversely, go to a scifi convention, and the average attendee is closer to fifty, and often still dressed up.
I guess the only thing is to be vaguely conscious of your age; a fifty year old cosplaying as a fourteen year old *may* send out the idea of a peter pan complex, if not executed with sufficient grace. However, at 25, there's really no such issue to worry about.
At Akicon this past year I met a seventy year old women cosplaying as Grandma Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle; at Ohayocon, I met a forty year old mother of two dressed as Mom Lalonde from Homestuck, with her kids dressed as Rose and Dave. In both cases, it was amongst the most adorable things I've ever seen.
MetalArtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #59
danielvutran
prinny dood!

ya who cares lol I'm 23, even if you're 50 it's really cool seeing someone like that cosplaying. in fact I took a picture with the hugest grandpa I ever saw dressed as a gnome at fanime last year lol. so awesome.
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #60
alleriaq

i saw a 35 year old guy cosplay as jiraya from naruto and he looked wicked.
there are cosplay characters for every age IMO.
alleriaq is offline   Reply With Quote