Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Zanaji

Attn japanese armor gurus

I'm looking to make Reifujin Shiori's battle outfit from Witchblade: Obakemono.

Is this a real armor style? I'd really like to make this, but If I have to fudge, I will. I've already checked http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and while he has some great info on lacing, I didn't see anything that looked very similar to this. It appears that the body parts of her armor are composed of a series of rectangular panels with strictly vertical lacing that alternate a long run of lacing with a short one, or even just a knot. All of the other ladies with her are shown wearing armor laced with that same pattern, but in this action shot it seems distinct from the traditional laced armor that her opponent is wearing.

does anyone have any thoughts about this? most of the sites I find in quite a few google searches want to sell me vintage armor, not show me how it's made

As an aside, any idea on how her knee cops are staying up? they look completely unsupported. I could probably rig something garter-like under the blousy pants, but I'm open to better ideas.
Zanaji is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Zanaji

Finally got off my butt and scanned my reference comic for a better image. At this point it doesn't even look like laced lames at all, just like knotted laces running along the top of some backing to keep it semi-rigid. Now I could pretty easily do this, but it's not really armor. I guess my waffling point comes down to 2 choices:

1. duplicate it exactly and stay true to the comic source (even though I now think it was drawn by someone who didn't bother to do much research on actual armor)

2. approximate it with real lacing and lames.

(I've also discovered that the colorist for this series can't decide what color some of her costume bits are, as they change color depending on what page they are on)
Zanaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Personally I'd just make them plates, with the individual panels glued to the plates themselves. Then go in after the fact and add the lacing for decoration rather than function. My material is "pvc foam board" which is found under "Komatex" at www.sdplastics.com

As for the knees it looks like it is actually part of the shin armor and should not need restraints put onto it, however if you want that flexibility you can always put heavy duty elastic on the back of your knee joint. It's worked passably enough for me in the past.

I detail a lot of the plastic armor making on my blog.

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...y-ax-2011.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

I guess also some forward thinking I didn't know if you had a game plan on making the actual Witchblade arm, most people use the caulking method, but if you're feeling adventurous you can always do rubber casting and get even more detail on the arm itself.

I go step by step on it. Warning though it's a bit expensive but the results are always nice.
http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...rd-online.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote