Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #571
punkynotemo
Punky

I'm tired of seeing Yuna cosplayers dancing and singing, seriously if I wanted to watch that I would just look up the cutscene on Youtube, just like Hare Hare Yukai makes me want to punch babies. Yaoi fanservice, senseless crossovers and fan-character inserts, I've seen it all, and I was not impressed.

/end rant

FLAME PRINCESS (ADVENTURE TIME)- 10%
YOYO (JET SET RADIO FUTURE)- 40%
THE WITCH (LEFT 4 DEAD)- 60%
CIEL PHANTOMHIVE (KUROSHITSUJI)- 100%
RINOA HEARTILLY (FINAL FANTASY VIII)- 100%
GRELL SUTCLIFF (KUROSHITSUJI)- 100%

CONFIRMED FOR 2014
Shuto Con
JAFAX
more to come hopefully
punkynotemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #572
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

Oher than that, punky, what is your honest opinion?
Unread 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #573
MasterMicah
Micah-Medio

Oh good lord nothing beats Miku in terms of being overdone, I swear there was a Miku legion at last year's NYCC.

~Current timeline of the "Con Invasion"~
- NYCC '12 (AW YEAH)
- Genericon '13 (possibly)
- Toracon '13 (possibly)
- Anime Boston '13
- AnimeNext '13 (possibly)
- Anime Expo '13 or Florida Supercon '13
- Conecticon '13

~Cosplays in progress~
- Rick Ross
- Issa Mihotoke (Buccha) - Air Gear
- Rilakkuma
MasterMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #574
SparklyCosplay

I can't believe how overused Caramelldansen is...I like the song and I'm sick of it being used in masquerades- okay, EVERYWHERE.
SparklyCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #575
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Apex View Post
IMO: No skit is an overdone skit.

They all are entertaining, to a point ^_^
Once there was a girl dressed as Yuuki from Vampire Knight quietly singing some Japanese song and nobody behind the first couple rows could hear her even though there was no music to drown her out and she had a mic. Most boring masquerade skit I've ever seen.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #576
MemoPanda
MemoPanda

I have a feeling that Opa Gangnam Style is going to be one of those way too often danced ones so this is me posting early. ;p
Teto:Matryoshka
Lady Ciel
Moogle
Madam Red
Pinkie Pie
Working On:
Mint : Tokyo Mew Mew
Aido Rika : Kuroko no Baskue

MemoPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #577
Akaya
Wig Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoPanda View Post
I have a feeling that Opa Gangnam Style is going to be one of those way too often danced ones so this is me posting early. ;p
Fortunately at the last con I went to they had Gangnam Style dancing contest so everyone could get that out of their system outside of the masquerade.

But so far I've only been to one con and nothing I saw was overdone, there were only three skits total and I thought they were all well put together. I'm still blind to the horrors of all of this overdone skits stuff.

Charlotte (PMMM) -Planning-
Merida (Brave) -Planning-
Fem Eleven (Doctor Who) -Planning-
Feferi (Homestuck) -Planning-

Completed Cosplays:
Yuna and Tidus (FFX)
Fem!2P! Russia (Hetalia)
Azusa Miura (Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls)
Haruhi/Yuki Nagato (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Planned Cons:
Utah Comic Con (SLC, Utah)
ToshoCon (SLC, Utah)
Akaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #578
Neko-hime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I know this is a little bit hypocritical and I'm sorry for posting a "would you all kill me if I did..." in this thread, but:

Would the internet hate me if I did a Princess Tutu skit in her Swan Lake var tutu and had (well-known) Swan Lake music in the background and did a short dance to it, with a monologue....also appropriately Swan Lake-themed for those who would understand it?
Wow, that was a really long sentence.

Oh. I guess I should also mention that I take around 8 or 9 hours of technique/pointe classes every week, and I'd totally practice my dance whenever I can.

Edit:
@fujyoshi- Just watched that link. Oh lawd.
I don't know if this has been answered yet? xD My opinion:
I think that would be awesome. I think most of the 'please no more dance skit' rants in here are concerning Hare Hare Yukai and Caramelldansen and such. Something more traditional would be refreshing, IMO.
Neko-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #579
Lemon-Squeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko-hime View Post
I don't know if this has been answered yet? xD My opinion:
I think that would be awesome. I think most of the 'please no more dance skit' rants in here are concerning Hare Hare Yukai and Caramelldansen and such. Something more traditional would be refreshing, IMO.
Oh, that question is a bit old XD

But I agree with this. What I don't like to see is a bunch of hare hare yuki, and then luck star, and yeah. But since the user in question has taken actually pointe lessons I wouldn't mind a Tutu dance skit. I do ask that maybe some kind of introduction is done. Like, "Tutu is dancing to celebrate Rue and Mythos wedding" or whatever. Because I still hate dancing with no explanation.

But yeah, the only Tutu dance skits I don't like (and these take up about 90% of tutu skits) are when they clearly have no experience in ballet. Clicky
Though I have to give him credit. He actually looks like he's having fun and choreographed something that actually makes use of the stage lol (And is not using pointe shoes, thank the lord)

And even worse is when they use pointe shoes. Clickers again
Seriously, I think I've seen way too many who have no clue what they are doing. Maybe to others it looks fine but to anyone who does ballet or even just watches it knows they're doing it all wrong. It just makes me feel bad for them.

Does anyone know why that song is used in like, every Tutu skit ever?

(I would actually really like it if someone used something outside of Swan Lake. Like The Sleeping Beauty or Giselle)

Kastucon 2014
Austrian Succession Spain
Cowboy America

Otakon 2014
Daenerys Targaryen
Austrian Succession Spain
Mistral - .hack
Kofuku - Noragami
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #580
MirniMausi
Just live more

I entered my first contest at Yukon two weeks ago and well, what can I say: Overdone skits are those involving current anime trends.
We put a lot of effort into our Sailor Moon Musical skit and even though we could only practice at the con day itself as we all live far away from each other, I think we did pretty decent. But we didn't get the recognitions. The audience was more excited about poorly done Naruto and Black Butler skits and really boring Vocaloid songs.
Nothing against the cosplayers, their costumes all looked great, but I think a skit shouldn't be judged by popularity of a series or a character. -.-

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #581
piffle esque
mahou shoujo in training!

I usually don't like dance skits and find them overdone, of course ballet and other traditional dances are the exceptions for me as I hardly see those. X'D I actually saw quite an amazing Princess Tutu dance skit at AV this year. I thought these two were just simply stunning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGz5x6lY6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon-Squeezy View Post
Oh, that question is a bit old XD

But I agree with this. What I don't like to see is a bunch of hare hare yuki, and then luck star, and yeah. But since the user in question has taken actually pointe lessons I wouldn't mind a Tutu dance skit. I do ask that maybe some kind of introduction is done. Like, "Tutu is dancing to celebrate Rue and Mythos wedding" or whatever. Because I still hate dancing with no explanation.

But yeah, the only Tutu dance skits I don't like (and these take up about 90% of tutu skits) are when they clearly have no experience in ballet. Clicky
Though I have to give him credit. He actually looks like he's having fun and choreographed something that actually makes use of the stage lol (And is not using pointe shoes, thank the lord)

And even worse is when they use pointe shoes. Clickers again
Seriously, I think I've seen way too many who have no clue what they are doing. Maybe to others it looks fine but to anyone who does ballet or even just watches it knows they're doing it all wrong. It just makes me feel bad for them.

Does anyone know why that song is used in like, every Tutu skit ever?

(I would actually really like it if someone used something outside of Swan Lake. Like The Sleeping Beauty or Giselle)
I believe it's because of a popular PT AMV that's floats around on youtube. (It's what got me and a few others I know into it.)
piffle esque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #582
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirniMausi View Post
I entered my first contest at Yukon two weeks ago and well, what can I say: Overdone skits are those involving current anime trends.
We put a lot of effort into our Sailor Moon Musical skit and even though we could only practice at the con day itself as we all live far away from each other, I think we did pretty decent. But we didn't get the recognitions. The audience was more excited about poorly done Naruto and Black Butler skits and really boring Vocaloid songs.
Nothing against the cosplayers, their costumes all looked great, but I think a skit shouldn't be judged by popularity of a series or a character. -.-
i agree, at every con i have been to or seen skits of online there is allways a naurto skit. the most common characters are itachi and sakuse or an "oc character" in the akaski robe. i would have enjoyed seeing something other than whats popular.

i have noticed that at cons whenever a group of cosplayers can be judged its allways the popular anime that wins even if the others where much better.
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #583
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piffle esque View Post
I usually don't like dance skits and find them overdone, of course ballet and other traditional dances are the exceptions for me as I hardly see those. X'D I actually saw quite an amazing Princess Tutu dance skit at AV this year. I thought these two were just simply stunning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGz5x6lY6E
That was cute. The girl has nice feet but needs to work on turnout.
I've always wanted to do something like that but I never have any cosplay friends that would do it with me.

I have to say that my pet peeve for skits now is when they are severely out of character--you know, those skits I thought were funny when I was 12. (I see a lot of PTutu skits like that too)
Although it's different if they actually make good jokes.
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #584
Kyalin

To add more to yaoi/yuri skits, although I haven't been to a con yet, I have seen videos. I think if you're going to do yaoi/yuri skits, at least have it make sense.

Every time I see Deidara and Sasori kissing/hugging/flirting I want to stab my eyes out. Do you know what you're cosplaying? Sasori is a puppet, not a raging horny gay guy. I also don't think wooden butts are uh... enticing.

Just do a pair that would make sense, if you're going to do one.
Kyalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #585
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

What bugs me the most is how small people's movements are. A good chunk of skits I see consist of walk across the stage and making weak arm gestures for 2 and half minutes. People past the first row are not going to be able to see what's going on, and most of the audience will most likely be falling asleep. Good ideas are easily ruined by this and I want to scream. It doesn't take much. Just making your movements bigger, no matter how stupid you feel, because you look more stupid just standing there. A popular Disney song playing won't make the skit better.
Maybe I just take it too hard because I'm a professional performer.
Drag Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Need dress, wig and braids
Bahamat - Fantasy 4: I need wig, and to make the wings
The Best Costume Ever - It's a surprise: All I need is the wig!
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote