Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Blanco55

EVA foam

Many armor or prop tutorial call for EVA foam and I'm not sure where to find this. I've bought crafting foam at craft store before but I get the impression from the photographs that this is thicker than normal crafting foam.

Where can you usually find EVA foam? Maybe if you can give a few example of popular stores or website where I could order some online.

Thanks!
Blanco55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

When I asked this question of the guys at the RPF, they told me anti-fatigue floor mats. Their favorite source is Harbor Freight, which is a new(ish) chain of hardware stores. We just got one in my city not six months ago and I scored a pack of the exact foam mats that were suggested to me for $10 (on sale!) today. There's four panels of interlocking floor mat in the package, and they're each pretty large, you could get a lot of material out of a single pack.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Craft foam is EVA foam. Both are a closed-cell foam that is relatively durable, stiff yet flexible, and easily heatformed. Craft foam just happens to be thinner and comes in different colors, but it's all roughly the same thing.

Craft foam has the advantage of being readily available at arts&crafts stores, coming in a variety of colors. The downside is that they tend to be thin sheets, usually 2mm, 3mm, or 6mm, in either a 9x12" size or a 12x18" size. The thickest foam also comes in only black or white in the smaller 9x12 size.

Now, as far as other thicknesses, you can definitely use the anti-fatigue floor mats. You can find them at hardware stores like Lowes, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight, or even big box stores liek Walmart, usually in the garage/automotive section. They can come in bigger sizes (2ftx2ft tiles, for example) and they may or may not have some kind of texture on one/both sides. The downside is that these floor mats usually only come in their standard grey/black color, and only in a few thicknesses (0.75-1"), so they'll require a bit more work to make them another color (For example, using blue craft foam for blue armor may greatly save on paint, whereas with the anti fatigue mats, you'd need to completely coat it to change the color)

An option would be to custom order it online. I was pointed to a foam store in San Francisco that does orders on 40x80 sheets of closed cell EVA foam in a variety of thicknesses. I'm planning on getting a sheet of .25" foam to make some armor for a movie-style MMPR Green Ranger. I live locally so I can actually go their warehouse and pick it up in person.

http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

What's hilarious is, Home Depot looked at me like I had two heads when I went in asking about anti-fatigue floor mats. It seems most of the stores in our area don't carry them but their website does. Considering the size and shape of them, shipping would be stupid, so I just said "thanks but no thanks" and looked elsewhere.

I did get confused when someone said EVA foam was available at Hobby Lobby, not realizing that he meant craft foam - I was looking for the mats, since that's the thickness the guys tend to go straight for in order to make their Iron Man armor suits and similar armor. They don't even bother with craft foam, it's too thin. Color isn't an issue, they tend to all use a variety of coatings to finish and color their foam. I'm not sold on whether or not to use it for my Wild Tiger, but I picked some up so I could play with it and I can't be sad about the price at all. It was cheap.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
R-R-RADICAL
Zydrate Addict

This is what I see a lot of people using, and it's what I'm using for my Iron Man cosplay. You can pick it up at Kmart or Sears. It's thicker than craft foam and feels much sturdier. I definitely recommend getting some.
R-R-RADICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Video Kozo
Prop master

If you want bigger sheets and you live in a rural ares go to your local agricultural Coop.store.... 6 by 8 foot sheets...half inch thick!!! used as ground procecters for barns... also have somthing that looks more like rubber foam ... called (Cow mats)
Video Kozo is offline   Reply With Quote