Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Unread 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
TristenCitrine
The ORANGE Life

Talking Antenna Bangs Tutorial up!

Hey everyone!

There's a new tutorial up on how to do those crazy antenna bangs you see on so many characters:

http://www.tristencitrine.com/tutori...ennabangs.html

Also, if you are looking at the Ivy wig at CosWorx, this tutorial covers just a few of the cool things you can do with it. I am so in love with this new wig, you do not even know! One of the brand new colors is shown, too! (Violet/grey)

I hope everyone finds the technique useful in their cosplay creations Sorry it's taken so long to get another tutorial up- things have been quite busy for us here at CosWorx!

Please check it out and enjoy!

Unread 09-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Varnani
MY CABBAGES

Ohh, the violet/gray color is beautiful!
Varnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

I think I love you, TC!!
Your tutorials are very detailed and make every step clear as day.

FWIW, do you find steamers to be a universally helpful setting tool for 'gravity defying' parts of wigs? I just ordered a Wisp wig from Cosworx, and I want to trim and style the bangs on it in a split anime style (not too different than the Venus wig in your bangs tutorial.) I have never 'defied gravity' with anything other than my own hair. Been thinking about getting a portable steamer for steaming costumes as cons anyway... so any other steam-styling tips would be greatly appreciated.

Anime Boston 2011 Guest Relations Division
Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."
LadyHawke78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
TristenCitrine
The ORANGE Life

Yes, steamers are one of those really important things to have on hand when it comes to styling wigs and it's a nice bonus that they do double duty in keeping clothes wrinkle free!

Basically, a steamer is a way to safely apply the power of heat to wigs in styling. When applied in bursts at the root, you can aid the process in getting those gravity defying styles. Steam can do a lot, but not everything, though. You will have to use some type of styling product in addition to get the results to hold long term. I like Rave #4 for wigs because you can brush it out if you need to, but for things I know are going to be set forever, I usually go for the Jewel-it or Elmer's glue diluted 1:3 or 1:4 in water applied with a spray bottle.

If you are doing long spikes or something really, really high, you may want to rat the hair slightly at the base and build up from there.

The wisp wig is really fun, you're gonna love working with it! What are you using it for, by chance?
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
chisainekocat
Harr0

Thank you for the tutorial! While I don't need to make antenna bangs anytime soon, I found the tip about the steam iron and yaki hair very useful, along with the razor comb idea, which looks much safer than the extractor knife razors I've seen some people use >_>;. I have a couple of questions:

1) After the Jewel-It is dry, how does the hair feel and look? Is there a clear crust or film on it or does it look like nothing ever happened to it?
2) Where in the world did you get a wig head with that long neck?
3) Out of curiousity, what character is that wig for?

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristenCitrine View Post
The wisp wig is really fun, you're gonna love working with it! What are you using it for, by chance?
Lady Subaru from .hack//SIGN. I've had these costumes for years, but have not worn them lately because my wig has failed. (I absolutely adore the fact that Cosworx is now selling teal wigs. You have no idea. BTW The sleeves in that picture fail too because I used crap interfacing. So ignore the fail, plz. Must re-do. I used better stuff on the blue version.)

Steam should work for her bangs, and I like the idea of diluted Jewel-it for her little side-curls. I have some of that laying around the house somewhere. The Wisp will not require THAT much cutting to get it in shape, actually.

Anime Boston 2011 Guest Relations Division
Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."

Last edited by LadyHawke78 : 09-26-2007 at 08:07 AM.
LadyHawke78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Aleathia Burns
Even Crazier in person!!!

Tristen you are a life saver. Thank you.
Unread 09-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Arlette
Let it Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisainekocat View Post
Thank you for the tutorial! While I don't need to make antenna bangs anytime soon, I found the tip about the steam iron and yaki hair very useful, along with the razor comb idea, which looks much safer than the extractor knife razors I've seen some people use >_>;. I have a couple of questions:

1) After the Jewel-It is dry, how does the hair feel and look? Is there a clear crust or film on it or does it look like nothing ever happened to it?
2) Where in the world did you get a wig head with that long neck?
3) Out of curiousity, what character is that wig for?
Looks like that wig will be for Maya Natsume from Tenjou Tenge. ^_^ I only know because I love the series and cosplayed as her last year, but her "chibi" version. ^_~ Tristen's method is much better than the method I used, which was to take clear hair bands and make one "stalk" of hair for the "antenna" to come out of, then I took the hair I wanted to stand on end and layed it out on a table, and emptied a bottle of AquaNet on it. XD Tristen it much more thorough, and that was very detailed and helpful!

Please check out http://www.facebook.com/dualwieldcosplay for more updates, or follow me on Tumblr at http://arlettecosplay.tumblr.com!
Arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
TristenCitrine
The ORANGE Life

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to the thread!

When the Jewel-it dries, depending on how much you use, the texture is similar to hair gel. You should definitely test it on a bit of hair beforehand. Taking a clipping from the back underside of a wig is a good idea for this.

Why Jewel-it over other glues? It is flexible and clear when dry. It looks a little fluorescent when wet, but it dries clear... abd bendy, too!

For things like the antenna (yes, I'm doing Maya Natsume) Full strength is good because it makes it stronger. My general theory is that anything sticking that far out will probably get slammed into something so any extra reinforcement is a good thing.

LadyHawke- I can't wait to see your new Subaru wig!
Unread 09-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

Odd question, but do you think the wire curl attachment method would work with things other than the antennae? Or for attaching things that won't be sitting on the top of the head?

Specifically I'm looking at attaching a small pair of wings to the sides of my wig, and it would be awesome if I could remove them afterwards, especially since the wig is otherwise unstyled. >.>;;; I'm not sure if they'd be too heavy for this method or not though.
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Alara Wyatt
Identity Crisis

this was actually ridiculously helpful! I have a Gojyo wig I've been fighting with for several years ><; and this might just be the answer I've been looking for! Thanks!!
Alara Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
IchiBLEACHcake

The link to the tutorial isn't working =(
IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote