Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Unread 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
thealbinobunny

Catching Fire- Katniss outfit?

So I planned on making her outfit that see wears in the water arena to the midnight premiere of the movie, but I was thinking it sounded much easier when described in the book.. But they did it very different ~ So I am looking for some advice on how I could even go about making this?

Front

behind

So any thoughts? I would really appreciate it!
thealbinobunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Pawprint29

It just looks like a wet suit, so that wouldn't be too hard to find. I think as far as the rest of it would depend on how much effort you're willing to give it. Nothing that a cheap covering of paint or fabric paint wouldn't cover. But the larger white area's on the sleeves would be difficult. Not sure how wet suit fabric handles to be being cut apart.
Good luck!
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

I'm not sure the wetsuit(or bodysuit, whatever she uses) would need to be cut apart... She can just sew n white fabric on the sleeves, over the base of the wetsuit. Then on top of the white fabric, she can add the white mesh fabric. Because the large white parts on the arms look like white mesh over white fabric.

And as for the other mesh parts, they can be sewn right onto the black wetsuit/bodysuit.

The lines in the other parts of the wetsuit could be done with fabric paint, or for more precise lines if she isn't good at painting(I know I couldn't get lines like that), she can sew on strips of bias tape..or she can get some Heat n' Bond, some white plain ribbon, and glue it onto the wetsuit.

It won't necessarily be easy to cut the mesh into the shapes needed, and then get them sewn onto the wetsuit/bodysuit symmetrically- but it certainly doable with a little trial and error.

Joann's has white mesh like that(I know because I bought my sister a bunch there, that she never used and is now lying around my room -.- ), and should have the white ribbon and/or bias tape too.
I don't think it needs to be a wetsuit(they might be super expensive). A black spandex bodysuit, like the kind superhero cosplayers usually use, will work too and will look like the photos once the trim is on- as long as the right size is purchased so that it doesn't look too baggy. I bought one on Amazon, they were only like $20 on Amazon and Ebay.

AlbinoBunny, if none of this makes sense, or you have other questions or comments on the way I suggested of doing this, just let me know. Hope it all works out for you.

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -Otakon- -Dragon*Con- -NYCC-
2013 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Lux(League of Legends); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV)

Aurora Maryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

As for the bodysuit, I think what you probably want is a spandex unitard. Try dancewear places for those!

You could also sew plain grey fabric on for the white/silver mesh parts, then lay a netting over top, and paint it white. Once you remove the netting, you would have those little lines showing through the rest of the white!
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote