Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 09-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #76
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

Hello! I'm bought cotton fabric for a Ty Lee costume I'm doing. I need to dye the fabric used for her triangle bib looking thing, because I feel like it's too close in shade to the base fabric for her shirt and pants. I bought fuchsia, petal pink and scarlet RIT dye but I'm not really sure which one to use.

I just want the fabric in the top right a little bit darker than the lighter pink in the bottom left to stand out. Just a wee bit. But I'm not sure which route to take. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #77
tereshkova2001

Cut a few swatches of your darker fabric and try dyeing it with all 3 of your RIT dyes. Keep track of how much dye you use, what temperature the water is, and how long it sits in the dye bath. If none of the colors look right, change one of those variables and try again.
I've got lots of test swatches for my projects, along with notes about the mass of dye to mass of fabric, the time for dyeing, and the amounts of any other compounds added. Now, I'm an organic chemist and got in the habit of keeping a detailed lab notebook years ago. It does get me repeatable results with the exact colors I want, so I think it's worth the fussiness.

For your specific dyes, my inclination would be to try a mix of scarlet and petal pink; I think that might give you the darker pink-red color you want. But I've never used those dyes, so experiment!

(also, Avatar: the Last Airbender cosplayers represent! I do Zuko a lot. ^_#)
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #78
Lily Lemons

Hope this is the right place to ask:

I am cosplaying as Lisa Garland from Silent Hill. I ordered a nurse hat and it is basically perfect except for one small problem -- it has a black stripe across the upper portion of it. I'm wondering is there a way I can bleach that black stripe to white to match the rest of the hat?
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #79
myalchod
reflections and dreams

It's unlikely you could get the black to white, or even a lighter colour (grey, orange, who knows -- blacks aren't consistent) without damaging the fabric. Bleach is an inexact science at best, and even when it does exhaust colour, it tends to weaken the fabric, especially when industrial dyes (much more colourfast) are used. You'd be better off trying to paint over it with a sufficiently opaque fabric paint than you would trying to bleach it out.
Ichihara Yuuko - butterfly kimono (xxxHolic / Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #80
Lily Lemons

Oh OK. That'd be fine. I'm a complete novice at cosplaying, so I didn't even think of fabric paint. I'll look into that instead.
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #81
kookiez01
Piikachu

I have a light brown dress that is 60% cotton and 40% polyester. I was thinking of bleaching it first and then dye it red, since that is the color I need. I was wondering what kind of dye I need since it isn't 100% of one kind of fabric.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cosplays
Chihiro Fujisaki - DanganRonpa - 10%
Fem! Hidan - Naruto Shippuden - 10%
Pinkie Pie - MLP: Equestria Girls -
kookiez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #82
Brilanna
Brilanna

Does anybody have any ideas on how to go about dyeing a black bokken handle wrapping red? I purchased red fabric paint and some painters tape (to keep the red paint from getting on the wood beneath the wrapping), but I am wondering if I will need to dye the wrapping a lighter color before painting it red?

Planned Cosplays - WIP - (2014):
Wonder Woman - Diana Prince Update - 85%
Seven of Nine - Star Trek: Voyager - 90%
Kahlan Amnell (Mother Confessor) - Sword of Truth - 40%
Makise Kurisu - Steins;Gate - 20%

Follow me on Facebook!
Keesey Cosplay
Brilanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #83
myalchod
reflections and dreams

You can't dye things lighter. Period. End of story.

If your fabric paint is opaque, then you should have no problems with painting over black. If it's not, go buy an opaque version (Neopaque is one brand that comes to mind) and use that.

You could also just strip off the wrapping and redo it. That might be easier -- there are tsukamaki tutorials online that are fairly easy to follow.
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #84
Brilanna
Brilanna

Awesome, myalchod! Thanks for the response!

Follow me on Facebook!
Keesey Cosplay
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #85
Brilanna
Brilanna

I actually did something slightly unconventional to alter the color of the wrapping. I attached the hand guard I constructed from foam and then spray painted the entire bokken white. It was smooth sailing from there, I simply painted each of the sections of the bokken (the hand wraps included). Though I realize this probably is not the most efficient method, it worked quite well for me!

Follow me on Facebook!
Keesey Cosplay
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #86
SeriousTyro

So I've went through the thread but I'm still wondering about washing and drying the dyed fabric.

I'm planning on dyeing a white 55% cotton 45% polyester blend into

with a full RIT grey and maybe half yellow/blonde dye. This will be my first time dyeing so I hope it'll go well.

I'm wondering what to do after I dye it. Rinse the fabric in warm water then cold water until the water becomes clear. Then laundry dry it or hang dry it.

What about afterwards doing regular laundry wash and dry? Would the color slightly fade?
Should I be careful with the grey dye or should I try to overcompensate because of the polyester blend of the karate gi?
SeriousTyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #87
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Different dyes may provide different instructions, but the general guidance for washing dyed fabric is to wash it out in water as hot as it will tolerate (hot water tends to fade/remove dye more than cold) and dry at normal settings. Dyes will fade with time and repeat washing, the same as they do in ordinary clothing -- home-dyed tends to go faster because it isn't set the same way as industrial processes. You can improve washfastness with using a dye fixative before rinsing, and by washing in cold water after that initial rinse.

It's been years since I used RIT, and I've only tried to dye polycottons a couple of times (and never with RIT), but in general polyester will not take as deeply as cotton. However, it's also always possible to go back and overdye a fabric. As it's your first time, I'd err on the side of too light and work from there. If you have fabric scraps, you can also throw those into your dyebath to check progress, and use them to test before you actually dye your fabric.

Hope that helps!
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #88
SeriousTyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalchod View Post
Different dyes may provide different instructions, but the general guidance for washing dyed fabric is to wash it out in water as hot as it will tolerate (hot water tends to fade/remove dye more than cold) and dry at normal settings. Dyes will fade with time and repeat washing, the same as they do in ordinary clothing -- home-dyed tends to go faster because it isn't set the same way as industrial processes. You can improve washfastness with using a dye fixative before rinsing, and by washing in cold water after that initial rinse.

It's been years since I used RIT, and I've only tried to dye polycottons a couple of times (and never with RIT), but in general polyester will not take as deeply as cotton. However, it's also always possible to go back and overdye a fabric. As it's your first time, I'd err on the side of too light and work from there. If you have fabric scraps, you can also throw those into your dyebath to check progress, and use them to test before you actually dye your fabric.

Hope that helps!
This helps quite a bit.

Do you have a recommendation for a dye for polycotton?
When using fabric scraps, which I will have plenty of, should I dry it completely to get a better sense of the color as wet fabric makes the color look darker?

Thanks =)
SeriousTyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #89
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Rinse and dry scraps to get a good idea, yeah -- you can wring out a good bit of the water by rolling the fabric up in a towel and still get a gauge of what it'll look like; I've also dried things in the sun or with a hairdryer pretty swiftly, or even sometimes with a dry iron when there's just a bit left.

I've used Jacquard's iDye line (they have poly-specific and natural-fibre specific versions) before with some success; it's the only thing I've worked with on polycottons. It's a matter of personal preference, I suppose -- I'm not a fan of broad-spectrum dyes like RIT where they're set up for a bunch of different fabrics, but that's just me. Whatever you decide to go with, test before you drop your garment in there -- it's much easier to work out kinks there.
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #90
MisakiPhantom84

Is it at all possible to bleach fabric and then re-dye it to the desired color? For my case, a bag to a medium/moderate(unsure which word to use) to pink?

"There are always knights who break the rules and pawns who betray. If you let your guard down, its checkmate."
MisakiPhantom84 is offline   Reply With Quote