Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #2086
HardcoreNamine

@Zaiten It's Oct 25 - 27 and it's in Galveston.
@Myribee That sounds awesome! Except for '10 though. I'm sorry that happened to you

Edit: Oops, got the dates wrong. It's actually November 1-3
Sailor Chibi Moon 5%

Last edited by HardcoreNamine : 01-17-2013 at 07:58 PM.
HardcoreNamine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #2087
Myribee
The Last Pandawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiten View Post
When/where is Oni-con at? Depending on when it is, I may be able to go.
Oni-Con is currently in the Galveston Island Convention Center, and I believe they just moved the date to October 25-27th as to not interfere with the Motocycle Rally the weekend after.

Current Cosplays WIP
Weiss Schnee - RWBY - 80%
Tsubomi Kido - Mekaku City Actors - 90%
Ryuko Matoi - Kill la Kill - 70%
Jinx - League of Legends - 5%
Junko Enoshima - Danganronpa - 10%

Follow me at www.facebook.com/Ayriath !
Myribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #2088
Zaiten

Oh, well that doesn't sound too bad. Last con I have planned is in like.. August. And it doesn't fall on my Dad's birthday. Sounds like a possibility. Al though this will require a Halloween inspired cosplay.

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #2089
vietgirl018
hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falclon View Post
@Squeaker, isn't that because...well there are less people there anyways

@Hardcore, if you aren't already in it, there is a Houston meetup group.

Also to both of you new guys, we also have a website for Texas cosplayers you should join and invite your friends to. http://texascosplayers.webs.com/
Bookmarked! Will check it out later on. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myribee View Post
I'm from Houston and fairly new to cosplaying! I've just built an Anti-Spiral Nia and Aisaka Taiga cosplay, so I'm looking to find some groups myself.
Otaku Bento and Houston cosplay meetup works together once and a while. Try join my group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/OtakuBento/
We are active irl and online

Quote:
Our cons here in Houston have been making sure lately that the con dates don't override other big events after AM had a stumble with the rodeo a few years back, if I recall correctly.

And I'd love to go to Ikkicon one day, and A-kon especially. But, the hotel prices are a little out of my range.
AM only overlap with rodeo that one time because from what I was told, they wanted the guest to experience houston other than just what the con has to offer in hopes that some of the guest would return on their own instead of having to have a convention ask them to come and what not.
Otaku Bento (Houston, TX base group)

Current cosplay plans:
* Black rabbit from Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - 100%
* Sailor Saturn from Sailor Moon - 0%
* Meredy from Tales of Eternia/Destiny 2
* Luigi from Luigi's Mansion - 100%
* Sakura(Beginning of movie 2) from Cardcaptor sakura

Upcoming conventions:
* Katsuon 2014 (Feb 2014)
* Anime Matsuri (March 2014, Houston, TX)
vietgirl018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #2090
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falclon View Post
@Sailor Moon, I actually really like Oni-Con's location. It could use some more nearby restaurants but it's nice being across the street from the beach. It's probably going to outgrow that venue soon though since they remarkably managed an attendance increase this past year.
Yeah, the location itself isn't bad, but the problem is the hotels ... they are CRAZY expensive, all of the ones around there, cuz they're all right on the beach, so they're like twice the amount they would be if they were here in Houston. I'm just irritated by it because I moved to Houston 3 years ago, the first year I was here, I had to go back to Oklahoma while oni-con was happening, and then the next year they moved to galveston, so I haven't had the convenience of going to that convention while it was still in my town. I'd love to be able to go back to it (cuz I have been once, but that was before I moved down here, so I had to get a hotel and all that), but if it's gonna stay in Galveston, there's no way.

Upcoming Conventions

Anime North Texas
Friday: Live Action Usagi Tsukino Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop) Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

2015 Schedule Coming Soon!
Sinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #2091
Myribee
The Last Pandawan

I live just outside of Houston, in one of the other cities, and it's a 20 minute drive to and from the Oni Con location. (Deer Park/La Porte/Pasadena area).

It saves a ton of money to just drive out there if you're a 30 minute or under drive. And you get to sleep at home in your own bed. x3

Current Cosplays WIP

Unread 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #2092
Zaiten

Oh hey, Myribee, I just saw your current planned cosplays! Kid is awesome! I hope I bring Serge to the same cons as you so we possibly could get some pictures. =)

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #2093
HardcoreNamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
Yeah, the location itself isn't bad, but the problem is the hotels ... they are CRAZY expensive, all of the ones around there, cuz they're all right on the beach, so they're like twice the amount they would be if they were here in Houston. I'm just irritated by it because I moved to Houston 3 years ago, the first year I was here, I had to go back to Oklahoma while oni-con was happening, and then the next year they moved to galveston, so I haven't had the convenience of going to that convention while it was still in my town. I'd love to be able to go back to it (cuz I have been once, but that was before I moved down here, so I had to get a hotel and all that), but if it's gonna stay in Galveston, there's no way.
Yeah, that's why I'm driving. It's a three hour round trip every day, but it's cheaper than a hotel. And, as Myribee said, it's nice to sleep in your own bed
Sailor Chibi Moon 5%
HardcoreNamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #2094
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

Quote:
I live just outside of Houston, in one of the other cities, and it's a 20 minute drive to and from the Oni Con location. (Deer Park/La Porte/Pasadena area).

It saves a ton of money to just drive out there if you're a 30 minute or under drive. And you get to sleep at home in your own bed. x3
Yeah, but from my area (west Houston) it takes like an hour and a half to get there, cuz I've got to go NE to get to 45 to be able to go south, or I've got to go SW to get to hwy6 to go SE ... I live in a bad area for driving to/from Oni-con DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreNamine View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm driving. It's a three hour round trip every day, but it's cheaper than a hotel. And, as Myribee said, it's nice to sleep in your own bed
I didn't really think about driving that far, my bf is the only one of us with a car atm (my mom has mine til Feb DX) so I always think about his SHITTY gas milage, and how expensive it would be, but I'd have my car back by then, and my car is really good on gas mileage ... I guess I'd have to sit down and figure up just how much cheaper it would be to drive back and forth each day =P

Upcoming Conventions

Anime North Texas
Friday: Live Action Usagi Tsukino Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop) Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

2015 Schedule Coming Soon!
Sinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #2095
Myribee
The Last Pandawan

Quote:
Oh hey, Myribee, I just saw your current planned cosplays! Kid is awesome! I hope I bring Serge to the same cons as you so we possibly could get some pictures. =)
Oh, that would be awesome! I actually have Taiga finished and Nia is almost done (Just painting left), and that means I'm already drafting Kid's outfit.

The only problem is getting the boots/gloves done and the wig cut and styled. I've tried to make a post looking for a commission, but it's been three+ days now and I haven't seen it go up on the forums yet, so I guess I'll do some facebook searching too.
I honestly have NO idea when it comes to making boots/gloves. It'd be easy if the gloves didn't bunch out at the wrists. :/

Current Cosplays WIP

Unread 01-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #2096
Zaiten

Gloves are evil, or I'd help. I still haven't been able to make a proper pair for one of my cosplays. I resorted to using trouser sucks in a pinch, though I eventually have to suck it up and learn how they work. Mostly cause my in a pinch idea sucks.

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #2097
Myribee
The Last Pandawan

Quote:
Gloves are evil, or I'd help. I still haven't been able to make a proper pair for one of my cosplays. I resorted to using trouser sucks in a pinch, though I eventually have to suck it up and learn how they work. Mostly cause my in a pinch idea sucks.
Gloves have efficiently created a tyranny.

Current Cosplays WIP

Unread 01-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #2098
Zaiten

I'm horrible, I wanted to sew today and instead I played Skyrim and lazied about. Haha, but that's okay, I'm in no rush and have no serious money for at least another week. Then I can start buying some fabrics again.

I did go looking at her gloves again and beyond the actual patterning and sewing.. to make them flare out like they do, I would support the inside of the glove with say foam or something to help keep it's shape.

As for boots, you could probably do a cover route. Wear some junky flats or something then make a giant "sock" like boot to slip on over it. Again I would go the elastic and foam route, or whatever you find works best, to keep it's shape since they arn't skin tight and can't use a zipper. Also, if you go that route, make sure to either add something slip resistant to the bottom of the cover or cut out the bottom and wear them over your shoes or attach them with something like glue or Velcro.

And the wig, hrm, You could probably go for a short wig, style the bangs and such with got2b and use a ponytail clip on. Then just tie up the sections with some red ribbon and possible glue or pins ( depends on how permanent you want the clip to be ) them into the hair so they stay.

I'm a lot more useful when I wake up. At least I hope I am being useful.

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #2099
Brilanna
Brilanna

I just wanted to stop by and say hello to everyone. I'm rather new to the cosplay scene but I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment of it! I am currently working on a Milla Maxwell cosplay and I am attempting to make the sword on my own for the first time! We will see how well it works out, but I've got some time for trial and error between now and A-Kon! I look forward to getting to know everyone a bit better and maybe even meet some of you at some TX cons!

Planned Cosplays - WIP - (2014):
Seven of Nine - Star Trek: Voyager - 90%
Kahlan Amnell (Mother Confessor) - Sword of Truth - 95%
Makise Kurisu - Steins;Gate - 30%
Milla Maxwell - Tales of Xillia 2 - 10%

Follow me on Facebook!
Keesey Cosplay
Brilanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #2100
Zaiten

Eee, you stopped by! Yay! Hiya!