Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 331 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #5446
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I've been designing for about half my life now (started back in middle school and I'm 29 now), so really creating original designs is sort of second nature to me.

As for steampunk Kuroshitsuji, that's awesome. I've thought about doing it myself, but put it off because I want friends to do it with me, but we have so many other costumes we want to make. We have several of us that already do steampunk, so we don't really seem to dwell on steampunking characters because we sometimes want something that isn't steampunk at all. But I wish you luck on your steampunk adventures.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #5447
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Well, I got pictures from DarkContract of the Ciel costume I did on commission. I think it turned out looking great and thought I would share it.
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #5448
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai no Miko:
I'll add to the "spam" here I guess... I'm soon to be a Black Butler cosplayer, Sebastian to be exact, and to be honest I am not sure how to feel about it. I mean of course I am excited to be cosplaying one of my favourite characters, don't get me wrong, but I haven't cosplayed something fully "mainstream" since Edward Elric in 2006. I don't count my Kurama cosplay because while he was mainstream, I feel I did something enough to that cosplay to make it stand out enough from the scores and scores of other Kurama cosplayers in the Yu Yu Hakusho fandom. The reason I am so hesitant against mainstream is because I kind of feel like I don't have anything to make Sebastian "mine" at this point - well, I'll be specific, I have nothing to make him "mine" and still enjoy wearing the cosplay. I'm a sucker for his regular, plain jane, butler outfit, and that's the one of course that's been done the most. I know all of this probably sounds pathetic, but hey every cosplayer likes to stand out in some way right? I know I will still absolutely enjoy wearing this costume when I finally get everything together and finished, which will take another three weeks or so, but part of me is still really wishing I had heard of this series I year or so ago ^^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamitsu:
I can think of one way to stand out, even in the default butler outfit: Practice your walk and mannerisms. This past weekend my husband pointed out this Sebastian cosplayer who was walking around, balancing a tray in one hand. They had it down pat and it was absolutely amazing.

I agree with the above about your problem; another thing is to find some tiny detail you really want to get right (seeing a Sebastian that actually has a pocketwatch as opposed to just a chain would be cool to me, for example) or some cool prop (I know of a Sebastian who had stuffed cats that they could attach to their coat with velcro, which was absolutely adorable), or try to get mannerisms and voice right (how a Grell cosplayer in our area who, honestly, looks nothing like Grell got absolutely ADORED by everyone).
It's little things that help, honestly, just be creative!
I am kind of late in getting back to this thread, seeing as how I think I made my original post back at the end of September or something O.o
Ahem, well the Sebastian cosplay was finished, but not in time to really do anything special with it. I was supposed to wear it to my university for Halloween, instead I went home and passed out from exhaustion (yay for 3 nights without sleep - partly the costume's fault, partly not). Despite that though I went out and got some pictures taken at a local historic hotel a couple of days ago, and a lot of the advice I was given stuck in the back of my head. Things like mannerisms and, well not walk so much, but stance. I think it helped a little... I know I did my best not to slouch (I'm notorious for that bad habit). Ah, also the chain I have IS attached to a pocket watch, I bought one on eBay almost as soon as I knew I was going to be making this cosplay (got ripped off with a knock off, but it works).
At any rate, this is what I wound up with photo wise: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/442377/
However, I am glad I came seeking advice because it does give me more hints on what I can do to make this work when I go to a convention in it. It'll be interesting at any rate, that's for sure.
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #5449
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Ai no Miko, I think overall you have a great take on Sebastian. Your costume looks great and the photos are nice. The only thing I can think of to say about the posing would be to try to cock your head back a little more and look down a bit with your eyes. Sebastian tends to look down on others in that way, one because he's so tall, and two because he's an arrogant demon. But all in all you've got a great start.
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #5450
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Ai no Miko, I think overall you have a great take on Sebastian. Your costume looks great and the photos are nice. The only thing I can think of to say about the posing would be to try to cock your head back a little more and look down a bit with your eyes. Sebastian tends to look down on others in that way, one because he's so tall, and two because he's an arrogant demon. But all in all you've got a great start.
Thank you very much I'm pleased to hear I wear it fairly well.
Just a question in terms of positioning my head, is it fairly easy to cock back your head like that and not make your eyes come off as too droopy when you look down a bit? I struggle with very tired looking eyes and I'm just wondering if they'd look closed half the time. Maybe I could get your opinion on if this looks any good, or if it's even what you meant:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...GardenEdit.jpg
It's just a second pose my photographer and I took in that garden setting, but my head is raised a little more (I think it's too distant to really check on my eyes though).
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #5451
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You have to play tricks with your eyes. While looking down, you have to make the open a bit wider. Not too wide or you will look crazy. You also don't want to be photographed from a downward angle when doing that either. It takes a combination of practicing in a mirror and a good photographer. I know I've done several photo shoots in the past that have taken at least an hour or more and come out with only about ten to fifteen photos that were really good in the end. Just practice and you will get it down. It's kind of hard for me to explain posing...I've been doing it for so long I just sorta fall into some poses anymore.
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #5452
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Only now do I realize how long it's been since I've been in this thread. I'm just popping in to say I got in a HUGE Ciel kick today for some reason. I commissioned a new costume for him a couple of weeks ago but I don't think it sunk in that I can cosplay him again until today. I also realized just how in love I am with cosplaying him, despite the insecurities and worries I always have from him. It's one costume I'm really comfortable in and feel like I do really well, despite everything. I am ridiculously excited to get some progress pictures and the new costume whenever I do.
As you can see, I also threw the wig on today to take some pictures. I convinced my mom to get me a pack of some of the chesspiece-styled cookies when she dragged me shopping to take pictures with and finally got some real free time to put on a wig and makeup, so I figured it should be Ciel. Even though I had nothing to pose with or do and no real costume to wear, I really liked how it came out; especially how my eyes looked. I just need to get some darker makeup since the webcam makes it look darker than it was and I should be fine.
..I just want to do everything Ciel. I really do. God, I'm getting obsessed again, but he's still my favorite character to cosplay and I don't know why.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #5453
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Well, I've been working on a Madam Red commission and I thought I would share the progress. It will be pretty much just like mine I made a few years back, but of course made to fit the customer. I even ordered the wig and boots for her as well. Her brooch is also a bit different from the one I wore, but she wanted a larger cameo and that's the one I found that I liked best.
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #5454
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Well, I've been working on a Madam Red commission and I thought I would share the progress. It will be pretty much just like mine I made a few years back, but of course made to fit the customer. I even ordered the wig and boots for her as well. Her brooch is also a bit different from the one I wore, but she wanted a larger cameo and that's the one I found that I liked best.
Excellent work as usual c:

I feel like I've not spammed this thread in a while...so here goes.

So many plans....so many things to do.

I'd like to revamp my brooch...type...thing...for Alan...eventually.

Victoria...needs a little TLC and some proper photoshoots.

Ciel's wig needs some TLC and I'm missing a ring.

I have a new sort of plan to try yet another crossplay...but...I'm not sure how well it will go. Plus one more that I've been slowly working on...not very well but, hey...I am trying. If I wasn't so picky this would be so much easier >.<
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #5455
Rangiku12
&lt;3 Old School &lt;3

I'm starting on a Alois cosplay. I can find the shirt,shorts,stockings,shoes,and I am making the Vest but the coat is my problem. Its way out of my skill range and commissioning it would take $100 or more according to quotes ive gotten on it which i cant afford. Ive found two patterns for it but im afraid to attempt it. I guess i could be Alois without the coat.

@Mehdia thats lovely! Madam Red is my dream cosplay i hope to do someday.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #5456
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

@Rangiku: Just take your time on the coat. They aren't as difficult as you would think. You just have to make sure you interface it properly and don't skip any steps in making them. I would say attempt one out of cheap fabric for practice and then once you are comfortable with it make your good one.

And thanks on the Madam Red. I've had a great experience cosplaying her and now am happy to help someone else get to be her as well. The costume isn't so much hard to make as time consuming. I use historically accurate patterns as my starting point and then modify them to fit her look. I've just got the jacket and hat to go, the pleats need to be added to the bottom of the skirt (it took me about three or four hours to make all of them yesterday), and then I'm going to add more stuffing to the bustle pillow to make it poof out more.
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #5457
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

I'm jumping back in here and thinking that it'd be fun to attempt the cricket gear from the latest manga chapters...but....if I'm completely honest, the manga has been driving me mad.
But it'd be a chance to actually wear pants.
I would like that option when the weather is colder.
No matter.

It's just...so much like Harry Potter right now I don't know what to do with it.

@Mehdia, you're fantastic...just saying.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #5458
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Wow, thank you! That made my day!
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #5459
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
I'm starting on a Alois cosplay. I can find the shirt,shorts,stockings,shoes,and I am making the Vest but the coat is my problem. Its way out of my skill range and commissioning it would take $100 or more according to quotes ive gotten on it which i cant afford. Ive found two patterns for it but im afraid to attempt it. I guess i could be Alois without the coat.
If you can afford around $70 and don't want to make it, here: (without spaces of course): http: //www . cosplay fu . com/product/Earl+Cosplay+%28Coat%29+from+Kuroshitsuji+II The one thing I like about cosplay fu..they sell seperate pieces of costumes, or will if you ask them to
Also..Considering being Ciel for AWA instead of being in a SAO group. The more I think about it, the less I want to be part of the group ;/ But I still need to ask people what they're cosplaying..and try not to be a creep in the process OTL
Also..month and a half til I get my new Ciel outfit. It can't come soon enough >A<;
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #5460
Ilafatyu
That guy

Hey there, Drossel cosplayer here. I have a question regarding the wig, and I'm looking for opinions. The collar of the jacket looks good and fits me, but it's really close to the back of my head and I don't think the spiked out hair in the back will fare well. Should I cut the hair something sort of (obviously not exactly like) this?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is online now   Reply With Quote