Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
DN6412

Grand Magic Games Lucy Help

Hello! So I am cosplaying as Lucy Heartfilia from the Grand Magic Games and I am having trouble putting together a few things.

Lucy Front
Lucy Back
Lucy Full

First, I am not sure how to construct the neck/shoulder piece to make it easy to put on and takeoff without disrupting the gold designs.
At first I was thinking of making it two separate pieces, the neck piece and the shoulder piece. The neck piece would have a zipper so I can take it off and it would attach to the shoulder piece with velcro but I fear the white cloth might weigh it down and unattach. [I planned on adding wire to the white cloth to give it shape] But if I replace the velcro with hook and eyes or buttons, it might look messy because of the gaps between each button.

Second, her tube top is quite low and the back slightly dips down. I was wondering if there is something I can sew inside to make it stay in place? I have tried many brands of fashion tape but they either will not stick to me or stick to the fabric.

Thanks for the help!
DN6412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For the top part, I would suggest putting a zipper down the back and just matching up all the gold designs right to the edges of the zipper. You have to compensate somewhere since most anime designs don't have seams or closures because that's not something they need to worry about.

As for her tube top, I wouldn't construct it like a tube top, but a full bodice. I would make it have seams that fit you closely and then put some boning in the seams to help hold it up. That will give the extra support needed to keep a top that shape up. And then down the back again you could add a zipper to make it easy to dress.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
DN6412

Thank you! I will definitely try out that bodice idea!
DN6412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Penlowe

totally agree on the fitted bodice, you live in a world with gravity.

As to the white bit, (I know this sounds crazy) try silk. Dharma Trading has it super cheap, you don't need a lot, it'll flow and float in the air like magic and it won't choke you with it's weight.

For closing the top/ shoulder thingy (I'm not sure there is a proper name for that odd collar/ cape thing), maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but I'd make the cape like part, then the collar, each as a whole item. Then I'd sew them together on one side (left) and put velcro or snaps along the top of the shoulder on the other side (right). the major over lap will hide the fact that they are separate at all.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You know, I had thought of saying to put the closure on the shoulder seam too, but ended up not mentioning it. The more I think about it, the better the idea sounds.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote