Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #6646
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

@Sabrina901: There is nothing wrong with not making your own costumes.
Commissioned/store-bought cosplays can look just as good, or even better than one made from scratch.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #6647
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

I am recovering from anorexia and cosplayed Black Rock Shooter at AKon. Multiple times I was insulted for being too boney, and someone even went as far as to say I look like "a pile of foreskin". I regret allowing that person to take my power, but I left the con early and sat at home and cried for a long while. To this day I still am nervous to show skin...
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #6648
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

at otakon 2012 i was Ruka Souen from Vampire Knight for one of the days, and one girl sitting at a table started talking to me and she was asking who i was cosplaying from vampire knight, and that my wig was the wrong shade to be ruka and that i dont look like her, i should put some more makeup on and im ugly. stuff like that.. i was trying to be nice to her and tried chatting to her about the anime and stuff, but my effort was in vain. she for some reason just kept giving me this look like i was a hideous monster or something, when clearly anyone could tell she had forgotten to wash her face for the past month. the guy she was with(her brother) was just staring at her and looked at me like-"sorry bout that" and i left. it was a pretty big blow to my self confidence, and seeing as self esteem is the root of my depression, i still remember it like it was yesterday.
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #6649
ShadowFaeyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
I am recovering from anorexia and cosplayed Black Rock Shooter at AKon. Multiple times I was insulted for being too boney, and someone even went as far as to say I look like "a pile of foreskin". I regret allowing that person to take my power, but I left the con early and sat at home and cried for a long while. To this day I still am nervous to show skin...
It amazes me how much insensitivity there is whether it's about gender, skin color, height, weight, what have you. No one knows what someone else has been through, who are they to judge? Sounds like there are a bunch of people out there who need to buy a new filter between their brain and their mouths, and a heavy dose of sensitivity.

Just keep doing your best, and rock your costumes, OtakuSpark! You're gorgeous as you are.
ShadowFaeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #6650
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

I cosplayed as Taiwan and I was carrying this mini backpack and I was talking on the phone with someone. My friend's (ex-boyfriend actually) girlfriend had the audacity to call me I look like a middle-aged lady. She was actually what you call a "kohai" underclassmen that I adore. But I was offended. We're pretty close, all three of us are but it kind of hurt...a lot. Especially because that was the height of my weight even though not that much. :C
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #6651
trmbngrl
Britt

People giving 'criticism' that is on something you can't control. Like your body type, or the color of a wig you just got in the mail. =___=
It's not criticism if I can't do anything about it, it's just rude.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #6652
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Quote:
U should've slapped that assahole, pardon the vulgar. But srsly no one should even say that. Hell it took me blood and Guts all just to Cosplay male BRS. Also Cosplayng character that show skin is going out of our comfort zone
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #6653
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyCiel View Post
The other main one was at A-Fest last year, I was cosplayed as Ciel Phantomhive. Two girls ran over to me and hugged me and gushed over how cute it was that such a shota boy was cosplaying Ciel. I went to thank them, but they immediately stopped hugging me, made very disappointed faces and went 'Oh...Are you a girl? We thought since your badge says 'Ken' that you were a boy...' and just walked away. I had a couple experiences similar to that at that con, and each time I didn't have any chance to explain to them. As a FtM transgender, it kind of hurt seeing their reactions to my higher pitched voice and finding out that I am, indeed, genetically female.
Eeeew.. I hate when something like that happens. I can just say I know the feeling bro.. being a FtM transgender too. Although I have a pretty gender neutral voice so most times I'm okay on that department.. but at this one con last year I walked by a girl sitting on a table, who, upon seeing me complimented my cosplay. When I was about to thank/answer her (I was cosplaying Ukitake from Bleach btw) she went from totally 1000% believing I was a genetic dude to "waitwhat, are you a girl?" and that's because I happened to speak in a sliiiiightly higher voice than I normally speak in. (because of con excitement I guess.. and caught off-guard)
I didn't even get a chance to do a quick explanation or correct her... it was just.. ugggggggh. OTL

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Kemin mangapäivä (11 October 2014)
SAT Taregard Frir - Original Character

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 01-21-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #6654
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

This isn't nearly as bad as some of the ones you guys have, but the fact that he honestly meant it as a compliment made it worse. I posted a picture from the recent set of Ciel ones to dA, since I have con friends there that don't have a Facebook. Well, this guy decided to send me a note saying "Wow, you can actually cosplay Ciel. I've seen a lot of failures, nice job." Now, yes, I appreciate that I lived up to the little standards he put on Ciel cosplays, but that is a rude thing to say. 'Wow, you can actually..' implies that he may have been watching my work and thinking I'm bad earlier (I admit I was, but that's beside the point) and never thought I would get better. Not only that, but insulting every other Ciel cosplayer he's come in contact with, especially recently. This is why I only told him that the way he worded it made it more an insult and then forgot about him when he didn't reply.
It isn't that bad, but rude comments hit me twice as hard when people try to play them off or word them as compliments.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #6655
Sabrina901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Actually people get ruder if you ignore them. Life has taught me this over and over again. Seeing as these people shut up the moment I flipped them off, I know it didn't make things worse.
Its true (from what Ive seen anyway) People DO seem to react more when you try to ignore them. I think its because they dont expect you to stand up for yourself or something

Miku Hatsune-Append
Heisuke Toudou-Hakuouki
Sabrina901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #6656
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Dang, that's just cruel. :/ Those people should know when to shut it.

I'm, personally, used to those sort of comments since I do get them all the time(never in cosplay though, although I think I'm going to get some in Saber.) since I am underweight to the point that I am below the minimum weight required for anorexia(about 83 pounds) due to my incredibly fast metabolism. I found that being really direct in comments about it is the best way to go. Like, if you show that those kinds of comments don't bother you then people will usually drop it.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #6657
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Please don't let people like this get to you! Truth is, people will judge you based on your body type and have something nasty to say NO MATTER WHAT. If it's that you're too thin or too thick or too flat or too busty, there is no safe inbetween that somebody won't have something to say something bad about.

Cosplay who you like and please don't let people like that get to you. U__U I've recieved simular comments and it is sorta hurtful at times but best thing to do is ignore nasty comments like that.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #6658
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina901 View Post
Its true (from what Ive seen anyway) People DO seem to react more when you try to ignore them. I think its because they dont expect you to stand up for yourself or something
It's because they get mad you're not feeding in to their stupid petty comments. So they react more and end up looking like more of an idiot than yourself if you help start a scene. I also live by the "you have no idea who that person is or what they're capable of" rule. You don't know if that person is one insult away from causing you harm or all bark and no bite.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #6659
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Actually most people end up shutting up if you holler back and get louder and ruder when you ignore them. I learned in my self-defense class that people who demonstrate verbal self-defense before any sort of physical attack happens deter violent offenders about 85% of the time.

Anime NebrasKon: Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan) - Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura) - Lapras (Pokemon Gijinka) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)

Last edited by Shana05 : 01-22-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #6660
smoreface

It never ceases to blow my mind how some people can just be utter dickbutts. Online, yea that's one thing whatever. But to someones face? Good god.

I do have a story, not so much rude but just...off putting and...weird. At AUSA a friend and I were cosplaying from adventure time and some girl (looked about 15? Maaybe 16?) Made a bee line straight for my friend who was dressed as Fionna and said "I just saw four other Fionnas." We just looked at her, not entirely sure whether or not it meant anything. Then she proceeded to tell my friend how the other girl was better because she used her real hair. I told the girl it wasn't a competition and she just ... floated away. Sure my friend was upset about that but I just felt odd, like I didn't know what just happened.