Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Twittles123

Cosplay drama?

This thread is dedicated to the all time question of WHY ALL THE DRAMA?

Seriously its a wonderful hobby for all kinds of people, people who have the money to make gorgeous costumes, and people who try but, really cant afford it-or have no sewing talent. This does not make them less of a person, or uncool. We all started some where.

So I had the question, if you've had any cosplay drama. Why? What started it? Was it because they are elitists?

Now this post is only for cosplay related things. Not "Because she stole my boyfriend".

I am talking like "She did the same costume I did--and did it better." Things like that.

Also no names please of any person--

I am trying to understand why we fight and have this terrible drama--because it really turns a person off from a great hobby.

Lilith Boarderlands [Otakon]
Mari festival [AZ]
Jupiter Fruits version [AZ]

Twittles123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

I've never had cosplay drama. Maybe it's because I don't have many cosplay friends, but I live a pretty drama-free life. Maybe it just goes over my head or something.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik armor upgrade - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Altrus
I love dogs!

I've never had problems with cosplay drama either. I've certainly seen it though. I honestly suspect that it's just like the rest of life, some people are drama queens, and act as magnets for it, and some are not. I don't really tie the hobby to drama in particular at all.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Twittles123

I suppose it must be just the people I know around where I live.

They have crazy drama that happens all the time.

I myself like you guys have only seen it happen, and have not been a part of it.

Mari festival [AZ]

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Shiva Edge
mata aeru no ka

Why? Because cosplay is serious business.
Shiva Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Twittles123

Mari festival [AZ]

Unread 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

This has sadly happened to me... Back in middle school, I began to cosplay. Many of my friends noticed that I have been interested in cosplaying and they thought it was a cool hobby.

I had this one friend (now ex) who thought she was like Queen of Everything, and took violence to resolve everything. She cosplays but when she found out I was planning on cosplaying as Lenalee Lee from D.Gray-Man, she was furious since she always cosplays as her. She confronts me one day saying, "You can't cosplay as her. One, you're short (5'2). Two, you don't look like her. Three, I honestly think you're going to do a terrible job cosplaying as her because I have been cosplaying longer than you have. Noobs like you should stick to noob cosplays". She later slaps me really hard with her musical binders and tells me to stop cosplaying, then walks home. She broke my glasses and I had a slash mark on my face which I believed was from the paper and plastic inside the binder... (Thankfully, I had a pair of contact lenses so I wasn't worried about getting my glasses fixed quickly)

My friends noticed the mark and I told them what happened. They confronted her and told her to stop all this cosplay drama just for attention (that was honestly what she was aiming for). She calmed down but she still finds the fact that I cosplay as male characters is unacceptable.

We haven't seen each other for a while now but she can't tell me what I can or can't do when it comes to cosplaying as characters I love.
Guo Jia [Dynasty Warrior 8]
Fem!Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Military Akira [Togainu no Chi]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

Personally I've never had cosplay drama myself, although I've witnessed some pretty ugly scenes going on with other people throughout my cosplay 'career'.

Last year I watched a girl in a Sora cosplay break down in tears because I guess someone had bought the last item in the vendor area that she wanted. Out of curiosity I'd asked her friend if she was okay and she'd explained that she had asked the vendor to save a prop for her, but toward the end of the con when the vendor thought she wasn't going to have the money he ended up giving it to someone that was willing to buy the item up front for more than the item was initially worth if they could purchase it. It sucks, but I understand that if the girl didn't pay for the item after the three days they were there that's why the vendor would have just decided to sell it.

Other than that the only recent cosplay drama I've witnessed was that on a thread I frequent on BBnet a male cosplayer had asked for advice on his interpretive Ciel cosplay. Then after people attempted to offer critiques he got angry and has been victimizing himself ever since.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Thankfully, I haven't been involved in any cosplay drama. The friends I usually hang out with are cons are people I've known for years before-hand and I know they won't cause any drama for no reason.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

There's going to be drama anywhere, especially in a huge hobby like cosplay that is highly focused on the people themselves.

I try to avoid it like the plague and not get involved, personally.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

I'd be lying if I say I wasn't the cause of cosplay drama... usually it's because I'm either rushing to get a cosplay done last minute (and holding up other people at the same time) or just plain unhappy with how something turned out, and I end up taking it out on other people.

But most of the time I try my best to avoid the drama. Easiest way is by not hanging around too many other cosplay people, lol.
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

There was a friend of a friend who made a whole rant about her hating girls who do skimpy cosplays. Her reasoning was that them looking good makes other people feel bad about their bodies while she went on to call them such vile names that I can't repeat. I called her out on her hypocrisy, jealously issues, and slut-shaming. She refused to speak further and blamed all her behavior on me.

I have recently had some drama with con people but it wasn't related to cosplay. It was because people don't know how to behave.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
jukebox
role models > supermodels

Some people just take themselves too seriously. This isn't exclusive to cosplay. You will find it at work, at school, at the shopping mall, or in any sub-culture, really.

I had a horrific time at Anime North 2009 because I chose the wrong people to spend time with. But other than that, any time I've had a conflict arise with other people I know from cosplay or cons, it's generally been about personality clashes rather than anything motivated by the hobby itself. If you remove the actual issues of cosplay and just deal with people as people, I find it becomes easier to sort out most problems. I've said this before but most of the time, it's not really about the costumes.

I've also been pretty vocal about calling B.S. on things in the hobby that I find to be problematic, but surprisingly it's never resulted in infighting with other people.

As an aside note, the word "drama" bugs me. I feel like it's a bit of a buzzword. Far too often, I've seen it being used by people who like to place themselves above infighting and other issues while still actively adding to them.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I find groups tend to have more drama because of conflicting ideas and well... multiple opinions and personalities. I rather go in a duo or a very small group of four or five tight knit close friends. I had to drop out of a group because the ages (between 13 and 21) and largeness of the group (20 persons and growing) was just rubbing me the wrong way. And we hadn't even gotten together before a few people were beginning to grate on my nerves because they wanted the group to be this big famous thing like Parle Productions or Vandette, which I really don't wanna do. Take photos? Fine. Silly CMV's and other vids? Fine. Trying to sell our photos and "merchandise" before we start doing anything? Not fine... So I just bowed out before it got too serious.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
I've said this before but most of the time, it's not really about the costumes.
I agree with this completely. The only "drama" I've experienced had nothing to do with cosplaying itself; it just happened to take place at a con while we were cosplaying. Typically it involved issues we were already dealing with before the con.