Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
MissMia
Miss Mia

Wink How to make a witch hat? Help please!

Pretty self explanatory from the title. I just need some guidance on how to make a wide-brimed witch hat with a bent tip at the top? What materials would/could I use?

Thanks!

In Progress Cosplay for 2012-2013!:
Mabel Pines - Gravity Falls (100%) | Elizabeth Comstock - Bioshock Infinite (50%) | Miss America (Chavez) - Marvel (100%) |
MissMia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Penlowe

Heavily starched craft felt would work, be reasonably inexpensive, and not terribly complex to do.
If you want a really awesome hat, you could wet-felt one yourself (Gandalf's hat is a wet felted hat) http://rosiepink.typepad.co.uk/rosie...beginners.html
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There should be patterns. I have like...two of them. And even if it's not Halloween, the pattern companies have most of those patterns year-round.

Fabric type doesn't matter as long as you properly interface, with a very stiff interfacing. But if you don't want the brim to droop at all, you're going to need buckram - the kind of specialty interfacing made for hat brims. I have attempted to interface witch hat brims with the superest of heavy-duty fusible Pellon, and they still drooped (it was for a consignment order, the buyer didn't care, she thought it gave them character). Buckram is the only thing I've found to actually hold proper brim shape since it was made for that purpose.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Penlowe

While I agree with you for purely sewn hats, yes, buckram is necessary, but there are techniques that don't require that. Your typical cowboy hat is felted wool that is heavily starched, that's all.
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Oh, I know. And one of these days I'm going to learn to block wool felt, too. But most beginning sewers will probably want to err on the side of "sew all the things" rather than learn a new technique, so I tossed that in just in case. I'd love to see more blocked felt hats, but it can be as daunting as learning how to work with leather for some people.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

I would say, for a beginner, I have to go with Capsulecorp on this one. I love the idea of felt, and I've worked with it before, but a good base of sewing knowledge will then help them develop the skills to work in felt. The type of hat that involves sewing puts it in good set of basic geometric shapes and measurements rather than the more touchy feely but just as serious science of felting and getting that just right especially the first time around.

McCalls, Simplicity, Butterick any halloween costume pattern producing company has atleast one (or should have) good basic witchy hat pattern. These would also include the instructions on how to put it together so that you could further develop your witchi-hatti-ness if you please.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m662...hp?page_id=494

The above pattern includes a witch hat
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Penlowe

<< been sewing so long I can forget stuff like that.

Although, in my defense, felting was one of the fastest and easiest things I've ever learned. So much so that I taught my eight year old and she found it fun and easy too.