Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
AshofRebirth

Swimming with Polyfill..

So.. I'm making a Vaporeon leotard/one piece. So far, I'm leaning toward spandex, so I was thinking "Hey! I could totally swim in this too! Wouldn't that be cool?!"
The only thing is, I really want to make the tail and leotard as one... being.. thing. And, well, I'll be stuffing the tail with Polyfill.

Does anyone know what happens to polyfill when it's wet AND encased in a spandex enclosure? I don't want any nasty stuff going on in there..

Any other suggestions for me? My first thought it to make the initial tail surrounded by something more waterproof or just coat cheap fabric in latex first.

It doesn't HAVE to be swimmable. I just thought it'd be cool if I could drag it to the pool every once in a while lol

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

I really wouldn't try to go swimming with a Polyfil tail. At the least, saturating it with pool water might cause the stuffing to clump, and the shape of the tail would be destroyed if it does. Polyfil is polyester, not natural fiber, but I don't know whether it'd be resistant to mildew... and it would pick up chlorine either way.

I'm not into the pokeymans so I don't know what your tail is supposed to look like, but have you considered maybe cutting the interior from a pool noodle or a foam pool toy? Those are meant to withstand water and pool chemicals, and that stuff is lightweight and won't clump.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Penlowe

Ever seen a baby get in the water in a regular diaper? yup, that's what will happen to polyfil too.
I second the pool noodle, they are easily carved to shape as well.
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
AshofRebirth

Oh silly me! I forgot to include a ref:

And oh gross... The image Penlowe lol!

Since the tail is so thick, the pool noodle won't really work unless I get a really thick one!
Anything about the latex covering, then spandex idea? Or instead of the latex, just sewing it with a waterproof fabric and then covering that in spandex.

Like I said, it's not that big of a deal though.

Though I wonder... Maybe if I shred the pool noodles small enough so I can just stuff the tail like normal?

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
OswaldnOrtensia

If you wanted to do a swimable tail I would definitely recommend looking into some of the Mermaid Tail tutorials. I don't know if there are any on here but a quick search on google will brings hundreds of results. Maybe you could look into the Mernetwork community and they can better answer your question.
OswaldnOrtensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Pool noodles come in varying diameters. I've seen some that are like 4-5" across.

If that's still not thick enough, you could combine multiple noodles down the length and carve them into the tail shape. There are waterproof adhesives out there, though experiment first to make sure that it doesn't melt or dissolve the noodle foam.

I wouldn't shred the noodles and try to use that as a stuffing in lieu of Polyfil. You'd have to do a LOT of shredding, and get it down into really tiny pieces to avoid the tail looking lumpy. It would be way easier and less time-consuming to just carve down larger pieces into the tail shape.

Even if you sewed Polyfil in a waterproof fabric, there would still be a seam for water to leak through, so you'd also have to totally cover and seal the seam and all stitches.

I don't know how latex would react to pool chemicals. I've never exposed it to chlorine or extended water saturation before to know whether it'll be fine or if it'll cause it to break down, absorb water, etc.

You could try looking online for merfolk communities - these are people who are really into mermaid/merman costuming. It'd probably give you a lot more ideas about how to make a swimmable costume, what materials are pool-safe, etc.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote