Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #31
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Ya that is prolly the best way to do it. I personally take no offense when people get a little tongue tied on the subject. i am use to it. But ya if you can avoid the issue then just do what blood sword suggested and ask what they would prefer

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
belligerent
Viking Metal

Apparently I fool people a lot. I have more male indicators (a prominent adam's apple, muscles, strong jaw, a deep-ish voice, etc) naturally, so when I'm in full crossplay, I'm even more convincing.

I'm actually disappointed when people have to question if I'm a guy or not and don't just assume I am a guy, although that sometimes can be awkward.

I was at the Saturday rave at AUSA in my rave Austria cosplay. I was walking out of the women's restroom as a girl was walking in and she screamed as soon as she saw me. So I had to do the whole "nono, believe me" bit and I'm still not sure she was fully convinced, but lol. Awkward.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #33
CaramellDancer
Closer Cosplayer

Ohmigosh, so off topic and I'm sorry but I had to post this. I was at a Con one time and watched as a Professor Oak went around to random people, get up in their face and ask real loudly; "Are you a BOY or a GIRL?" Dragging out the BOY and GIRL words as he spoke.

It was epic xD

And I'm working on crossplaying. Trying to find a good binding method right now....

~Cosplay W.I.P.~

Hatsune Miku: 2%
Maka from Soul Eater: 90%
Redo of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2: 10%
fem!Tony the Talking Clock from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared: 0%

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doens't work, Raise, Aim, Fire.
CaramellDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #34
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Honestly I think gender is irrelevant. You are who you feel you are. I have always felt I was female my entire life and if that is what I feel I am then that is what I am regardless of my natural gender of which I despise.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
Kaliza

I got asked once at a con and I admit I was offended...at the time I was wearing a skirt and a corset top so I don't know why this guy said that, he might have been trying to be mean? I mean I know I'm not pretty but still...I don't think I look like a guy when I am wearing a tight shirt(hello, cleavage, hips and curves?) I didn't answer, I just left.

If I was cross playing at the time I would not have been offended. I would have been surprised that I had managed to do that a good job on the cosplay though, and since I'm so short I'd be surprised it wasn't obvious I'm a girl since you don't see many guys my height.

Last edited by Kaliza : 01-13-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #36
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I never got asked that in person yet, though at least online people assume I am a male unless they know me. As for how I would take it when cosplaying? That depends. If I am crossplaying, it would make me feel like I did a good job passing (This year will be my first actual crossplaying where you can tell that the character is a male, where before, crossplays I did, they were a bit feminine or androgynous, so I am going try hard to really pull it off). If I am not cosplaying as a male, I am not sure how I would feel, probably have mixed feelings lol. I might feel a bit hurt but I kind of agree that I do have some more masculine traits due to a hormonal imbalance (too much testosterone and lower estrogen and progesterone. Apparently my blood test I did the other day for my doctor said that my ovaries are dysfunctional. Lets not get too into that on here).

Yeah, I get that someone people really are curious and not trying to be mean, but probably shouldn't really ask a stranger you just met that question. It could really upset some people.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra

Last edited by chibi_kitsune : 01-14-2013 at 04:51 PM.
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #37
Otaku1989

I'm male, but i get mistaken alot for looking like a girl cause of my long hair. It's don't really bother me.
Otaku1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #38
Tigersoul

I have a strange relationship with gender... while I've never been asked this in person (likely due to my voice - though I'm working on that) this comes up more times than I can count on the internet...

Apparently with a decent crossplay (including padding/coursette, light makeup without contouring, and a few choice poses) I look passable... and apparently when I write on a forum or in a chat I come off as andro or female... My first WoW guild was convinced I was female, I dont mean they were suspicious, I mean they were 100% SURE of it... same goes for my second... and on quite a few forums, even when I use a masculine username I get pegged as female... heck on one forum I make no secret I'm male but some of the guys still call me female and treat me that way...

...though tbh, I dont mind it, I actually got saddled with being "bi-gendered" annoying little condition where I swing back and forth all the way was "ultra masculine cant stand anything girly wnat to burn all my female costumes" to thinking how nice it would be to realyl be female and have everything altered so I *was* female forever... (though on the average I tend to fall just slightly on the female side of the scale anyway with my personality and how I act)

If somone asked me my gender in public (wheather a con or not) I'd actually be flattered, even if it was against how I was dressed, and I'd politely explain as much as they wanted to hear, whether it's "the character's a girl so I'm trying to crossplay effectively though physically I'm a guy" to going into TG/BG gender topics and such.

As for if the question is offensive... I say "are you a boy or girl?" lacks a certain tact to it, but if they're more casual and are truly curious I see no harm in the question (though I do understand it makes some people uncomfortable)

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #39
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

Female here. But many have mistaken me for a boy. I've always been asked if I was either a boy or girl since I was little; I had boyish hair and never wore things like skirts or frilly clothing.
I'm only mistaken as a guy only when I cosplay but I have been mistaken out in public even when I don't cosplay since I occasionally like to wear some of my wigs out in public.
Guo Jia [Dynasty Warrior 8]
Fem!Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Military Akira [Togainu no Chi]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
Akune-chan

Time to throw in my two cents since running away last time was probably not the best.

Ever since I was younger, I was always teased and referred to a very masculine female. Mostly this was due to the fact that I was very athletic. Then again, puberty didn't do its job when it needed too (acne was the only indicator that it hit and the breast area remained relatively small). While all of the girls in middle school were sporting their B cups I was wearing a sports bra and playing handball with the guys.

Then high school came around, an all girls high school and that didn't help the situation either. Puberty finally did its job right, however people still considered me to be very masculine based. I guess this was because I never really did girly things (I honestly hate shopping for clothing and gossip. It just seems like a waste of time for me). I always found it awkward how easily it was for me to attract females while males always seemed to keep their distance. It was either I attracted females, younger children or extremely old men.

Now, I do not know if I could refer to myself as being a male, however I can safely say I like more manly things than feminine things and most of the female population makes me want to not associate myself as being "one of them."

When crossplaying, I usually pick girly looking females (Orochimaru, Grell Sutcliff, etc) because I feel like its easier to be in the middle then to be on either sides of the spectrum. Also, I think its more of a given that I am female when I crossplay since mostly females cosplay male characters with longer hair. However, I have been mistaken as being male in my Orochimaru costume by some of the Orochimaru fandom even when I tried to ward them off by telling them my true gender. (Some fans can get really pushy...) Even when I used to be on Gaia (iLord Orochimaru was my user name), people were so SURE that I was male. And in all honesty I allowed them to believe that. Some people still do even after I told them the truth.

Honestly, I feel like gender shouldn't matter when you are doing something that you enjoy. It doesn't matter if your trans, male, female, undecided, both, none, etc. As long as you enjoy what you are doing, you know who you truly are inside, you know what you like, it shouldn't matter. Sure, there are always going to be those crazy dumbasses that have to make life difficult, but heck, who cares about them?

Last edited by Akune-chan : 01-19-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
kidcyco

Akune Chan,I looked at your pics and was unsure about gender in some of them but your Link pics show that your a pretty young lady.And those ppl who make life hard on ppl......Well karma will get them in the end.
Just have fun and believe in yourself.
kidcyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #42
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

when i crossplay people generally can't tell either way unless i say something. last year at naka was my first year for doing what i consider "full crossplay makeup", since i did a luxord for my friend's org group and i actually did the goatie. my steampunk friends who were there didn't even recognise me in the hallway on the way to the kh shoot

my avatar is a closeup. the facial hair was really light and hard to see in photos, but i'm really happy with how it came out and i'll be doing that cosplay often when i have blonde hair again. i tried it with a wig, but it's not quite right

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #43
Allyieh
Volunteer (Fire Starter)

My personal rule is that if they're cosplaying a female character I'll use 'she/her/etc.', and the vice versa if they're cosplaying a male character. I sure don't want to be that guy that calls a boy 'her' when they're cosplaying a male character.

Or, better yet, stick to non-gendered words! Like "Your cosplay looks awesome!" and "Gods, that shirt fits your character well!"; Especially if you aren't confident in your knowledge of the fandom that cosplay is from, and aren't sure of the character's gender itself.
Sim | The Sims
(Censored) Sim | The Sims
AnimeNEXT 2014
Petra Ral | Attack On Titan
(Post Pieta/Battle of the North Arc) Clare | Claymore
Amelia Pond | Doctor Who
(Censored) Sim | The Sims

Other Cosplays
Candy | Holy Musical B@man
Stephanie | Lazy Town
Allyieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #44
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Honestly, I've just gotten into the habit of referring to everyone neutrally with "they" and such, this way I can't upset anyone by mistaking their gender or anything.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #45
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
Honestly, I've just gotten into the habit of referring to everyone neutrally with "they" and such, this way I can't upset anyone by mistaking their gender or anything.
that's what i try to do, or say something like "wow! that's a really good <name>!" if i know the character

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote