Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #31
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Skin needs to be prepped, otherwise makeup will look cakey. Think of it this way, do you want people to notice great skin or harsh makeup? Your skin may look different in person, but in the photos, it's looking heavy. And photos are what you show people. The new HD cameras are pretty unforgiving, too.
Don't worry, you'll get there. However, worst case scenario is you'll need new foundation. Keep everyone updated!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Skin needs to be prepped, otherwise makeup will look cakey. Think of it this way, do you want people to notice great skin or harsh makeup? Your skin may look different in person, but in the photos, it's looking heavy. And photos are what you show people. The new HD cameras are pretty unforgiving, too.
Don't worry, you'll get there. However, worst case scenario is you'll need new foundation. Keep everyone updated!

I was thinking that honestly. I was just talking with someone to go and see if I can even get a tone match at a local drugstore very soon.

Also, yeah, it looks very blah up close. Makes me happy I took initiative and got the primer. And yeah, I want it to look more skin-like. :/.... I dunno if it is my personal face that is killing me here.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #33
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

No worries! There is something for you, your face is fine, the makeup is what's wrong
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #34
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

When I first started wearing foundation, my mom took me to Macy's and had the people at the Lancome counter match my color and bought me foundation. Then when I ran out of that, I took the empty bottle with me to the drugstore and used it to help me pick out an appropriate shade since there was still product on the side and stuff. Maybe you can get a sample of foundation instead of a full bottle from someplace similar. Doesn't have to be Lancome specifically but it really did help me figure out what color was best.

Color matching at the drugstore is the worst.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
No worries! There is something for you, your face is fine, the makeup is what's wrong
Thanks, that means a lot to hear. Yep, I actually joined a makeup forum a while back, and just re-started posting there again. Going to try to get tips on their end as well as here too. Already have a girl over there willing to PM with me to get this working. My next day off is Wednesday, but I don't think I will be able to advance much more than I already have without new products, but like I said, I DO have the face primer, so I can try that, and a girl there told me to try fingers over sponge to see if that works for me better, so I plan to try that as well. s:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
When I first started wearing foundation, my mom took me to Macy's and had the people at the Lancome counter match my color and bought me foundation. Then when I ran out of that, I took the empty bottle with me to the drugstore and used it to help me pick out an appropriate shade since there was still product on the side and stuff. Maybe you can get a sample of foundation instead of a full bottle from someplace similar. Doesn't have to be Lancome specifically but it really did help me figure out what color was best.

Color matching at the drugstore is the worst.
I was thinking that. See, our Supermarket is by a Macys. If every Macys has a makeup place that can color-match me, I will be all for this. How much does it cost to be color-matched? Is it free, or should I expect to bring some money for that outside of the foundation itself? And yeah, Once you get that color, I know, it should be super easier. Do you know if they have like a skin-color chart or something too to take home? Some people say things like "Use a tone x2 lighter/darker than your skin tone" but I don't know what that would be when I figure out my tone. There's just so many. x_X

Yeah, my mother said something like that. "Best to ask a beauty place than a drug store. Those girls at beauty supply stores are cosmo girls" or something like that.... though she also doesn't really do makeup herself. It's kind of funny I have more makeup interest than her. ^_^;

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

It's free! I wouldn't know if they have a chart to take home but you can always ask whoever's helping you for a sample of something a little lighter or darker if you want.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
It's free! I wouldn't know if they have a chart to take home but you can always ask whoever's helping you for a sample of something a little lighter or darker if you want.

Great to know, thanks! This oughta be good then. Thanks, I will definitely have to try Macys then.

Unread 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

I don't know if someone has said this already, but if you're going to go for a full MtF transformation then you must do something with your hair. Even just a side parting will make your face looks totally different. (Middle parts are not the most flattering of hair styles). Have you considered maybe getting a hair cut with some layers? It isn't obvious but makes your hair looks more naturally girly.
EDIT: Just saw your update with the clip on bangs - looks SO MUCH better!

Once you tidy up your eye makeup (practice practice practice) then I think you'll do brilliantly, you have such good skin and lovely eyes!

EDIT:
Easy way to pick foundation:
Try the tester on the lower part of your face/cheeks. Tilt your head up in a mirror so you can see your neck. If there is an obvious dark-light line between your neck and jawline then it is the wrong colour. It should be basically the same as your natural tone with room for some variation. Always remember to blend your foundation into your neck.
It looks like you're using one hell of a lot of powder - you should be using transluscent and only one application over the whole face and then only spot checks on the T-Zone if needed.

Also, remember to exfoliate your skin before you put on makeup, it'll make a lot of difference. St Ives make a great exfoliating scrub.
I exfoliate at least once a week, and ALWAYS on the day or of the day before a con.

Your eyeliner has definitely improved a lot.. but are you wearing mascara? Because if you are, it's not showing. It takes some getting to used to to apply but as you've said that you're getting over the "blink reflex" then it shouldn't be too hard. Start at the root of the eyelashes and pull upwards. Apply at least two coats.

Oz Comic-Con Adelaide regina from [ once upon a time ]
Supanova Melbourne supergirl from [ dc comics ]
Supanova Sydney zatanna from [ smallville ]
Oz Comic-Con Melbourne ? from [ ? ]
Armageddon Melbourne wonder woman from [ justice league ]
Supanova Adelaide ? from [ ? ]

Last edited by Zhiana : 01-21-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: re-read the whole thread
Zhiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #39
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhiana View Post
I don't know if someone has said this already, but if you're going to go for a full MtF transformation then you must do something with your hair. Even just a side parting will make your face looks totally different. (Middle parts are not the most flattering of hair styles). Have you considered maybe getting a hair cut with some layers? It isn't obvious but makes your hair looks more naturally girly.
EDIT: Just saw your update with the clip on bangs - looks SO MUCH better!

Once you tidy up your eye makeup (practice practice practice) then I think you'll do brilliantly, you have such good skin and lovely eyes!

EDIT:
Easy way to pick foundation:
Try the tester on the lower part of your face/cheeks. Tilt your head up in a mirror so you can see your neck. If there is an obvious dark-light line between your neck and jawline then it is the wrong colour. It should be basically the same as your natural tone with room for some variation. Always remember to blend your foundation into your neck.
It looks like you're using one hell of a lot of powder - you should be using transluscent and only one application over the whole face and then only spot checks on the T-Zone if needed.

Also, remember to exfoliate your skin before you put on makeup, it'll make a lot of difference. St Ives make a great exfoliating scrub.
I exfoliate at least once a week, and ALWAYS on the day or of the day before a con.

Your eyeliner has definitely improved a lot.. but are you wearing mascara? Because if you are, it's not showing. It takes some getting to used to to apply but as you've said that you're getting over the "blink reflex" then it shouldn't be too hard. Start at the root of the eyelashes and pull upwards. Apply at least two coats.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, my updates are definitely alot better. As for the haircut, well, I dunno. Might have to pass that by some of my friends. I know a few girls that would kill me if I cut my hair, lol.

That's an interesting way for foundation. I still think I am going to get a professional to take a look for me, so I don't screw up or go through like 20 other shades. s:

The powder is actually eyeshadow on contouring. I don't get why I have it looking so bad like that. D:.... Pretty much..... Facial scrub > Foundation > Eyeshadow contour. No powder any other way. x_x....

Yeah, everyone is telling me to exfoliate, so I am going to try to do that not next time, but hopefully soon. I might have to look for some, and who knows, maybe next time if I can get some at Macys when/if I go.

Thank you! Yeah, I am getting better thanks to my contacts. .... and yeah, that picture didn't have mascara. I was GOING to do falsies, but after two failed attempts, I felt it was starting to take a toll on the eyeliner, and I didn't want to ruin it. Will definitely get some going next time. I admit, I usually either miss or forget to apply something in the end, but that's sometimes because I had a problem possibly. Bit by bit, step by step. As for the application, I was told that you hold the wand in front of your eye, and close the eye, without moving the wand. s:..... so that is how I have been doing it. s:

Also, thanks about the comment on the skin and the eyes. Means alot!

Last edited by Larcenciel : 01-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
kyronami
Crossplayer

Theres some good youtube tutorials on putting on fake lashes
kyronami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #41
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyronami View Post
Theres some good youtube tutorials on putting on fake lashes
Oh, I saw an idea that works well for me, but I dunno why I stuggle sometimes. xD.... The glue refuses to stay sometimes and I go afagwrgbwvvwvqac over it, lol. Someone said applying glue to the lid carefully and placing the brows works the best, and when I first did that, it was near flawless. I think my problem is I need a sense of my eye-size since the lashes ARE indeed too big, and to work around the existing lashes that get in the way. I was also told not to use mascara after and to use it BEFORE the lashes to save the lashes and have them reusable, so yeah, I have seen some ideas. I just need to dedicate more time to doing one thing at a time. s: Thanks!

Unread 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #42
kyronami
Crossplayer

I always use mascara after my false lashes are on so it blends my real lashes with the fakes
kyronami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #43
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Yeah, I figure maybe I will do that with disposables and try to keep my more premium-like lashes a bit better and do it the other way. s: I'll see what works for me. s:

Edit: Nice, I just found out there is a MAC a block away from where we drop off passengers in New York. If I have any time to myself tomorrow, I will go over there and see if they can match me. s:

Last edited by Larcenciel : 01-21-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #44
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, my updates are definitely alot better. As for the haircut, well, I dunno. Might have to pass that by some of my friends. I know a few girls that would kill me if I cut my hair, lol.

That's an interesting way for foundation. I still think I am going to get a professional to take a look for me, so I don't screw up or go through like 20 other shades. s:

The powder is actually eyeshadow on contouring. I don't get why I have it looking so bad like that. D:.... Pretty much..... Facial scrub > Foundation > Eyeshadow contour. No powder any other way. x_x....

Yeah, everyone is telling me to exfoliate, so I am going to try to do that not next time, but hopefully soon. I might have to look for some, and who knows, maybe next time if I can get some at Macys when/if I go.

Thank you! Yeah, I am getting better thanks to my contacts. .... and yeah, that picture didn't have mascara. I was GOING to do falsies, but after two failed attempts, I felt it was starting to take a toll on the eyeliner, and I didn't want to ruin it. Will definitely get some going next time. I admit, I usually either miss or forget to apply something in the end, but that's sometimes because I had a problem possibly. Bit by bit, step by step. As for the application, I was told that you hold the wand in front of your eye, and close the eye, without moving the wand. s:..... so that is how I have been doing it. s:

Also, thanks about the comment on the skin and the eyes. Means alot!

That's a strange way of doing mascara, but now I think about it I suppose that would be easier for a beginner.. but that explains why your mascara is not noticeable. You need to apply at least two coats, and you need to stroke it through the lashes like a hairbrush through your hair (if that makes sense?). I have a makeup video tutorial I made ages ago that I can find for you if you like, it's a vid for generic "going out" makeup from start to finish.

Don't use eyeshadow over your entire face, it's much too cloggy and thick and that's what is making your skin look "cakey". You should invest in some loose powder and apply it with a big brush over your foundation. Yes, definitely get a professional to help you get the colour the first time - it'll help a lot ^_^. I hope you're going to get a liquid or mousse foundation?

Your makeup should go something like this:
Exfoliate & cleanse > moisturiser/primer > foundation > powder/contouring/blush (optional, you can do it at a later stage) > eyebrows > eyeshadow > eyeliner & mascara

False eyelashes are a nightmare to put on, you're not the only one who struggles! I mostly don't bother with them because I can never seem to get them to stick correctly.

I don't know if someone has said this before.. but always apply makeup to a freshly cleaned face. You should put on a light moisturiser or primer (or both) before you apply any makeup as this will help make it stick. Make sure you get one that is correct for your skin type, i.e. oily, combination, dry. The makeup ladies can help you with that when they help you with foundation .

Also, by haircut, I sort of meant a trim (like 1-2 inches off your hair) just to get some layers put in as they are very atypically girly. Only a suggestion, of course! ^_^

EDIT: What eyeshadow are you using?
MAC makes the most gorgeous stuff!

Oz Comic-Con Adelaide regina from [ once upon a time ]
Supanova Melbourne supergirl from [ dc comics ]
Supanova Sydney zatanna from [ smallville ]
Oz Comic-Con Melbourne ? from [ ? ]
Armageddon Melbourne wonder woman from [ justice league ]
Supanova Adelaide ? from [ ? ]

Last edited by Zhiana : 01-27-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Zhiana is offline   Reply With Quote