Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
Shannynn

I actually have a very long list of con etiquette (longer than yours) that I was planning to give to whoever runs the Anime Con Etiquette panel this year to give as handouts.

BTW, not all yaoi events are 18+. I'd even say less than half are. The ones that are are marked "18+" on the schedule, just like adult-only events at the rest of the con. A better guideline would be "If it says 18+ on the schedule, then it's 18+ and they'll be checking your ID at the door".

Also, not just alcohol gets consumed around the con. I worded it as "Should you choose to become intoxicated, know your limits, be safe, and be responsible.".

Last edited by Shannynn : 01-27-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Shannynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
AJ the Collector
Collector

I think an etiquette and tips guide should be published in every program book.
FrostCon 2015

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Equius Zahhak {99%} for Murder Mysterystuck {default}, FC15 {humanized} and AN15 {default}
Totakeke {90%} for AN15 and CB15
L {75%} for AN15
The Signless {50%} for FX15
Sable Able {50%} for DTAC15

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thumbs up Awesome Anime North 101 guide

Awesome job guys!

Here are some of the points you've mentioned above I'd like to stress:

Quote:
earplugs
YES! This is important. Ask any of our DJ's. Also they are great for when you are trying to sleep and others are still awake and noisy in the hotel

Quote:
water!
YES! YES! YES! Very important!

This stuff is awesome. I use it for my pro makeup. Available locally in Canada online here: Final Seal.

Quote:
-Do not try to cross the grassy area infront of the TCC by going through the ditch. Its a bayou and it eats children.

This is just awesome and hilarious. In addendum please try to avoid dodging the Dixon road traffic and cross at the light not in the middle of the street. The weirdness of the con is distracting enough to drivers without them having the play Frogger with you as well.

A few more tips from experience:

Use painters tape or another means to mark your id and contact info your cords and electronics. If your chargers get lost, or picked up by staff or another person, you are more likely to get them back

Bring a highlighter and take a few minutes to read thru your program book when you get it. Many of these tips and policies are in the first 5 or 6 pages. Also you do not want to miss anything you would really want to see or do because you didn't bother to read it.

*** Some masquerade 101's.***

Plan ahead!

If you're unsure about anything masquerade related please contact the Masquerade Directors in advance with questions via masquerade(at)animenorth.com

You can download your entry form in advance and fill it out. You might want to do this to save time at the convention. Also you can fill it in on the computer which is tidy and nice for the MC.

Check the sound regulations each year to be sure you are submitting your sound in an approved format. We want everyone's sound to work so please make it easy for us to help you be your best!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 01-27-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: tags
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
crimsontears
Thistle

This is an amazing list. Just a few things (some may have been mentioned in the list) that I've learned the past few years of conventions:

-BRING A BLOW DRYER, especially if your hair is longer than ear length. I'm not sure about other hotels, but the Doubletree supplies blow dryers with about the same drying power as something blowing on your hair. My hair's chest length and it took me almost an hour to dry it completely. To save time, bring your own (unless you really don't want to carry the extra weight on the way to the con)

-If you're planning to eat out at a restaurant for dinner (Montana's, etc.), make sure to book ahead, especially in the evening. At dinner time, there's about a 1.5-2 hour wait at all the restaurants, even the ones miles away.

-Bring snacks. Snacks that aren't from the dealer's room or aren't fast food (like granola bars, fruit, and nuts) are rather hard to procure. It'll save you a lot of money/time to bring your own snacks :3

-Make sure to do a test-run of your wig before the con. Sometimes certain wig caps won't feel tight the first hour of wearing them, but once you've had them on for a few hours you start getting a headache. Make sure to wear something comfortable that won't end up hurting you during the con.
crimsontears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #20
AJ the Collector
Collector

We should post price ranges and average wait times for eating places too. That could be a big help to lots of people.
FrostCon 2015

Equius Zahhak {99%} for Murder Mysterystuck {default}, FC15 {humanized} and AN15 {default}
L {75%} for AN15

Unread 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
Ainsil
Om nom nom time!

This is an amazing list! The only thing I can think of is to be respectful to the people running the photo shoots.

We're working hard to get everything we can in our time limits so please listen to them when they say to change it to someone else. Also, if possible, please try to limit the screaming and chatter when the announcer is saying something. The noise makes it hard for people to hear and we end up having to repeat ourselves numerous times or end up shouting.

Anime North 2014:
Clear (Dramatical Murder), Nagisa Hazuki (Free!), Sawada Tsuna (KHR)
Ainsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #22
Rei-Azalia

all points i shall add! there was another i thought of today at frost con but now it has TOTALLY slipped my mind. .3.
Rei-Azalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
Rei-Azalia

if anyone else has masquerade tips, please post them! i have never been in the audience of a masquerade and my one experience on stage was...less than pleasant.
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #24
AJ the Collector
Collector

About the Japanese names bit that was added--on a side-note, that is such a huge peeve of mine. I say if the show has an English title, use it. Don't be a weeaboo. All you're doing 9 times out of 10 is saying the same thing in a different language anyway.
FrostCon 2015

L {75%} for AN15

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 01-29-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Unread 01-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #25
Rei-Azalia

i agree with that sooooo much. its like .- . ;; "what did you just say?"

it gets on my nerves too! >A<
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #26
AJ the Collector
Collector

One of the worst is "Furuba", which is just a shortening of how the Japanese pronounce the English words "Fruits Basket" and yet I actually have heard people call it that in spoken conversation. Really? You're such a giant friggin' otaku that you can't find it within yourself to move your tongue, jaw and lips to form the words "Fruits Basket"?

Don't even get me started on the people who say "Seiramuun". Or the guy who unironically used the phrase "Fainaru Fantaji Sebun: Adobento Chirudoren".
FrostCon 2015

L {75%} for AN15

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 01-29-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
Rei-Azalia

i have no idea what those last ones even are.
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #28
Kagomekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Or have a pack mule haha! Or if it is possible you can make something to hold your stuff that is incorporated into your cosplay.
Last year my boyfriend and I took turns being pack mule when it came to people asking for photos. (Granted we wore things from separate fandoms. This year it may be a bit different because on two of the three days we are doing a group cosplay so we'll probably do the sandwich thing.)

All great tips guys, keep them coming.
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #29
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei-Azalia View Post
i have no idea what those last ones even are.
The first one is how some weeaboos say "Sailor Moon", the second is how one guy I came across typed "Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children".
FrostCon 2015

L {75%} for AN15

Unread 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
Rei-Azalia

yikes. o-o