Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop > Vocaloid

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
lenkagamine02
The Uke

To young to cosplay BRS?

I have always wanted to cosplay as BRS since I 1st watched the OVA however my mom and dad say its to sexy for someone my age. I am 15 1/2 and I even told them I will zip up the jacket most of the way if they wanted me to and they still said no. Do you guys think im too young to cosplay as her?

"Hush little Izaya, don't you cry. Don't cut your arms, don't say goodbye.
Put down the lighter, put down the knife. It may be hard, but you'll win this fight."
-Uke (me)
(This message is to Izaya Orihara)

YT: Narutoshowfan101
Deviantart: DattebayoCosplayer
Tumblr: Aloisxxxciel
Worldcosplay: Uke
lenkagamine02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I would say yes, personally. Though some could argue it's more covered than a bikini, it's not really the thing that's too appropriate for a 15 year old to wear in something like a crowded convention area or upload photos of to public places online IMHO.

I'm 17 in about a week and considering doing the same cosplay and even I'm not sure about doing it because of my age :/

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Gonna have to say yes, only because you're young and the outfit will probably attract attention of people older than you and they'll assume you're also older. I can see how your mother might be a bit protective of you because she doesn't know all the strangers at the cons and let's be realistic there are plenty of creeps.

I think you could edit the costume to be a one piece bathing suit instead of a bikini top and longer shorts, maybe if you cover more skin, your mother might go for it?
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
usuyukisou

Probably, for a photo-shoot. Definitely, for a convention.

I know you're supposed to cosplay for yourself and not for other people, but please consider your own safety. Not everyone at a convention is a good person, and there are a lot of true horror stories out there. Also, if you meet a genuinely nice person and you happen to look... well, *good* in your costume, it could make the other person quite uncomfortable when they learn that you are underage.
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
AshofRebirth

You COULD do a modified version and zip of the jacket to just above the shorts. Make the shorts longer. Wear a plain shirt or tank top and just not unzip the jacket unless you're resting. No one will get on you for "being inaccurate" (and if they do, they're butts and don't listen to them lol). People modify outfits ALL THE TIME because it just makes them feel more comfortable.

At the end it's up to you and how comfortable you feel with it. If you're uncomfortable, it will show. And then it's kinda up to your parents, unless you want to sneak it, but that's a whole different story.

Here's a pic of kinda what I'm talking about. Sorry for it being so awful lmao:

You'll just have to emphasize that you WILL be wearing a shirt or tank top underneath. And not a bikini at all. And then when you get older, you can always redux it (if it stills fits you and you don't grow too much xD)

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshofRebirth View Post
You COULD do a modified version and zip of the jacket to just above the shorts. Make the shorts longer. Wear a plain shirt or tank top and just not unzip the jacket unless you're resting. No one will get on you for "being inaccurate" (and if they do, they're butts and don't listen to them lol). People modify outfits ALL THE TIME because it just makes them feel more comfortable.

At the end it's up to you and how comfortable you feel with it. If you're uncomfortable, it will show. And then it's kinda up to your parents, unless you want to sneak it, but that's a whole different story.

Here's a pic of kinda what I'm talking about. Sorry for it being so awful lmao:

You'll just have to emphasize that you WILL be wearing a shirt or tank top underneath. And not a bikini at all. And then when you get older, you can always redux it (if it stills fits you and you don't grow too much xD)
Can I sa ur art made my day!
Also onto topic I would suggest u wear BRS for private shoots
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
Twin-Tails
~Tails

Agreeing with AshofRebirth here. I can see that modified design working really well n_n
Twin-Tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
thelovelysin
Informant

I also agree with AshofRebirth. Take this BRS cosplayer, her shorts are longer and if you were to zip up the jacket (wearing a regular shirt or tank top underneath), the cosplay becomes pretty conservative with only a bit of leg showing.

Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke): 100% complete
Ja'far (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic): 75% complete
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I personally don't think you're too young. As long as you have a good reason for wearing the costume other than it being skimpy.
I was 15/16 when I wore Yoko Littner. Yes it was super skimpy. But Yoko was a character who I passionate about because of her attitude. Today I still think she is one of the strongest fictional female characters ever.
But of course if you're parents don't like it don't go against them, you can try to convince them, but don't go behind there back.

Other than that I think everyone's suggestions have been great! Good luck!!
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
JelloTheFish
Define Awesome.

Umm, I will actual go with not too young. I'm actually the same age as you and I'm cosplaying as BRS. To my parents and I, cosplaying isn't about looking sexy and attracting people, it's about having fun and representing a character. In fact, I'm sewing my own outfit and creating my own props, so my bikini top turned out to be... Skimpy. But having the coat on will cover up your shoulders and a lot of the area above the bikini because it is actually clasped/zipped at the top. Plus, the shorts aren't actually all that short, they're about the same length as any pair of short shorts you see in the stores and people wearing all the time.

Sorry for such a long post!

Finished:
  • Black Rock Shooter

Sort of Working On:
  • Norway (2%)
  • Xerxes Break (10%)
  • Sharon Rainsworth (10%)
  • France (20%)

Planning:
  • Flandre Scarlet
  • Maru or Moro
JelloTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Scrittle
King of Versailles

I'm going to agree with the outfit modification. (Maybe you could even just wear dark wash jeans or something instead of shorts, since I personally think the main thing that makes her her is the jacket and hair)
•Javert •Eponine (Les Misérables)
•Cicero (Skyrim)
Scrittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

I'd say you are a little to young to do her normal outfit but having the zipped up jacket or ive seen a girl who wore a black tshirt with a white star on it instead of the bikini top.
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
heaven_firings

In some ways you probably are too young but I'd still say you could. What are the biggest concerns of your parents? If you're allowed to wear shirts that show your stomach anyway don't see why getting a black one and using it instead of the bikini would be an issue. Also, if they allow you to wear things that show some stomach you should be able to have the jacket somewhat more unzipped, at least some of the time. You could also lengthen the shorts some like what was mentioned.

Even if you do the full modification that's been shown I agree the jacket and hair are probably the biggest things that make her. And if you have one of her weapons that just makes it pop more.

I also agree of not making it 100% accurate right now and sneaking it past your parents. Because honestly if you're living under their roof and aren't supporting yourself they kinda have final say no matter what other people online/irl think.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
CherriPetalz
waht is this

I honestly think it depends on your parents. I'm a really responsible kid so my parents trust me with a variety things, including being able to take care of myself in certain situations. I don't think it's too young, and I'm 15 myself. I know that there will be creeps at conventions, but I'm always with 5+ friends when I go to them, and we NEVER go anywhere without a buddy. I'm planning on cosplaying a Magi character who's djinn equip is like a bikini with no jacket or anything and I know I will have to protect myself when I go. This means I will switch costumes in the middle of the day so I won't be half-naked and walking around at night. I'm also going to be wearing an extra layer under the top just in case something happens.

Also, it's sometimes the person who wears the costume that makes it super inappropriate. Don't go around making sexy poses in the costume and don't agree to anyone who asks you for a photo that you deem inappropriate. If you feel uncomfortable around someone, just leave. You're the one who's wearing the costume, so you're the one who decides what you're going to do.
CherriPetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
magnum-desu

There are also different versions of BRS, some of which are more conservative.
BRS Beast wears a tank top instead of bikini top.
IBRS is similarly covered up, but looks a bit more like vanilla BRS.
BRS from the Innocent Soul manga wears a tube dress.
magnum-desu is offline   Reply With Quote