Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Drensik

How to Make Huntress Wizard Branch Antlers

Okay, I've been staring at pictures for over a week, googling every semi-relevant term and I give up..I sure hope someone here has some idea about where to start for this.
I'm cosplaying Huntress Wizard from Adventure Time > http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...f/Huntress.png and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the antlers. I'm planning on making the antlers, leaf hair, and hat all one piece. I'd like to have a headband underneath to support the antlers and keep the hat in place (it will be a bit loose to accommodate the leaves that will be attached to the inside edge of the hem). The problem is, I can't figure out how to securely attach the antlers to the headband, and I'm not entirely sure how to make the antlers. My first thought was to shape them out of wire and wrap them in brown floral tape, attaching the leaves with hot glue or whatever. I'm not sure how well that would work, or how I would go about attaching that to a headband....
I've made props for cosplay before, but they have always been things I hold in my hand or are attached to my costume. I've never had to make something that needs to stay attached on it's own, so I'm kind of at a loss here.
I've got plenty of room and a full time job, so there aren't really any space/money limitations on what I can do. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Drensik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
RollEXE

I know this thread is old as balls, but....
I saw a horns tutorial for Homestuck horns, and the cosplayer screwed the horns to her headband. I thought that was a pretty neat idea, and am going to base my Huntress Wiz horns off that when I get around to doing it. Good luck!
RollEXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Dkonen

I actually did up a set of antlers recently for our LARP. They came out lovely.

I used a fatigue mat headband and mounted the horns with gobs of hot glue.

The horns themselves were triple thickness fatigue mat textured with hot glue painted brown and dry brushed with ivory.

The inside of the headband was lined with felt backed vinyl, which I also used for a tie that went around the back of the head, just above the nape (bit of stretch and fairly durable).

The headband itself was covered with painted foamy leaves and then the whole thing was coated in an acrylic gloss.

They stood up to combat really well, and were light and comfortable (so I am told).

(the picture's a bit big to post so I'll trim it down and post it in a bit)
Dkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Dkonen

antlers.jpg
Dkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
FyreHeart

Take two foam or paper cups, a headband, aluminum foil, duct tape, and wire. Poke the wiring through the cups and shape it to the general shape you want the horns: you can use more then one wire for the prongs though. Tape these pieces of wire underneath the cup down. Attach both horn pieces to a headband. Wrap layers and layers of tin foil around the fire to the desired thickness, then cover in the tape.

That's how I saw people do their antler-like horns but Im not sure if it would be helpful for you.

I wish you all the luck! : )
FyreHeart is offline   Reply With Quote