Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
TheRedLion

Dark Tower (Roland Deschain) Cosplay

Hey there folks. I posted here a long while back showing off a Roland Deschain cosplay I made. I've updated it to more closely match the Roland's description in "The Gunslinger", namely including blue jeans rather than historically accurate trousers. I don't think it looks quite as good personally, and may end up trading em' out. Got a slew of other western 'cosplays' and outfits both complete, and in the works as well. Most of the pictures here are just quick in home shots. I reckon I'll take some good ones in a good looking location eventually and once I get ahold of my pal who's a much more competent photographer than myself.

Reckon I'll put it out front that I realize that the clothes aren't as dirty as some folks might perceive Roland's gear after years of travel. Since I wear most of these clothes on an everyday basis, I'd prefer not to artificially shorten the lifespan of the clothing. That being said, a duster is intended to keep dirt and grim off your good clothing, so it shouldn't be long until it serves its purpose and looks nice and broken in. The hat I'm using here isn't as nice as the one I typically use either, but it's been around for some time and has a more weathered look to it. Hope you folks enjoy and let me know what you think. If you have your own Tower cosplays, or western cosplay in general, feel free to post away.

Last edited by TheRedLion : 08-11-2011 at 01:07 AM.
TheRedLion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
grotesk_faery

Your clothes definitely need to look several decades older and dirtier, but otherwise it looks quite good. I think you can definitely make them look older without wearing them out too much. The duster and jeans should hold up well to "dirt" and sanding. I've also never pictured Roland with more than a bit of stubble as far as facial hair goes, but I guess if you don't want to change your own appearance, that's understandable. Good job and it's great to see a cosplay of one of my all-time favorite characters!

EDIT: I would also ditch the vest and go with a simple button down shirt, either blue cotton or denim. Also, I personally think bright blue contacts are a must for this cosplay!

Last edited by grotesk_faery : 08-10-2011 at 11:09 PM.
grotesk_faery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
TheRedLion

Appreciate the different perspective on what people are expecting. Nice to see a fan of the series with a fresh outlook. Luckily I have blue/gray eyes already, though they're not apparent in any of the pictures. Concerning aging, I'm of the school of thought that most folks tend to overdo aging quite a lot. It can be damn near astounding to see just how much dirt you have to put on something of brown or tan color for it to show much. And even though Roland probably put his clothes through a good amount of wear, there's just not as much visible wear that occurs naturally on well worn clothes as some folks expect. I've always seen it as if you find yourself doing strange or over extreme things in an attempt to rough up clothing, you might be going a little far.

Concerning the duster, since I plan on using it legitimately, I think I'm going to let it do it's thing and break in naturally. The jeans however, I agree with you about and I'll likely do some artificial wearing on them. I've seen Roland represented quite a few times in artwork with a vest, and it's standard historical Victorian/Old West wear. I imagine since this younger Roland would still be wearing remnants of things made in Gilead, a good vest wouldn't be out of the question (They're awfully practical for storing small items, like tobacco) . Just my rationale.

Much obliged for the advice, friend.
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
grotesk_faery

That's a good point about the vest, I hadn't thought of that. Also, your cosplay seems to be more geared towards the beginning of the series, whereas I was thinking more towards the end... Roland seems to shed clothes as he goes lol (but not enough, imo! XD).
grotesk_faery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
TheRedLion

Definitely. I believe he'd been making his own clothes by the end of the series.
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Nice to see you still working on this! <3 Roland.

I keep saying that, one of these days, I'm doing a Sisters of Orriza outfit as I see it. I said that long ago, and the idea is still waiting there for me to put it into action.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Lauronist

This is so great. I love DT.
Lauronist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
kidcyco

Your age and lack of wear of clothing looks like it would predate the dark tower series,more like just before the fall of giliad. I am working on Rolands costume before he lost his fingers as I am older but its hard finding a duster that's broken in already in Ct
kidcyco is offline   Reply With Quote