Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Makeup/Eye Contacts Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 141 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #136
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Yes, it layers just fine. In fact, if you lay down a solid basecoat, you can reduce the amount of prosthetic adhesive mixed into anything painted on top of it. Instead of a 1:1 mix, you can do 1:2 or 1:3.

No promises that the tattoos won't need the odd touch up, but if you don't scrub them off, they will more or less stay in tact.

As long as the paint is acrylic based and listed as nontoxic (most everything sold in the US is), then yes, UV reflective paints work just fine.

Unread 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #137
olivepeach727

Oh! Thank you so much!!

Shadowcat/ Astonishing X-Men : 50% complete
Saria - Legend of Zelda OoT: 70% complete
Kushina - Naruto Shippuden: 10% complete

Check out my Tumblr where I keep updates, progress, inspiration, tutorials, etc!
olivepeach727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #138
KidXister

this is awesome thanks.
KidXister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #139
L-nay
Kichigai NayNay

Pros-Aide II vs. Original Pros-Aide

I'm currently looking at buying Pros-Aide for PAX. I know cachalot mentioned her husband breaking out from either the PAX or the remover. Depending on some chemicals in products, my face can burn or break out, so I'm worried about using PAX. I've found on some sites Pros-Aide II that's supposed to be easier to remove and better for sensitive skin. I thought about purchasing it, but I'm also worried about it possibly not holding up as well as the original. I was wondering if anyone has used it and the original Pros-Aide and has any opinions of Pros-Aide II vs. Original Pros-Aide.
L-nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #140
verdatum

So, to clarify, in every case I've read or heard of, when people mention problems with irratation or problems with sensitive skin, it wasn't an issue while wearing the pros-aide, it was an issue of removing the stuff. So "sensitive" doesn't so much mean "sensitive to various chemical compounds" as much as it just means "delicate".

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the removers had stuff that irritated some people's skin. The removers can contain solvents like naptha or potential allergens, like limonene (a component of citrus oil). Personally, I've only ever tried Ben Nye's Bond-Off! and wasn't very impressed with it.

I haven't had a chance to play with it, though I'm starting to think about getting some of both it and the no-tack just for the fun of it. I would venture a guess that it's not going to have quite as strong of a holding power as the original PAX, but in I suspect in most situations, that's still strong enough to hold up during a 1-day cosplay. If it turns out that it degrades in the shower or overnight, and you want to continue the cosplay, then that just means you wash it off completely and reapply it the next morning; no big deal.
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #141
SwordChick
The boring kind of undead

Thanks for all the information in this thread! I was wondering how long pro-aide lasts once it's been opened. I use liquid latex body paint right now but it goes "bad" after a while when it's been exposed to air. The pigments break down and the pure white I bought ends up looking yellow.

Just wondering if anyone's noticed a shelf life for it once the prod-aide has been opened. It would be great to buy a big bottle all at once and save it for various cons.
Aurra Sing, Battle Angel Alita TUNED, Seras Victoria (blue), Tomb Raider classic (good version and fight show version), Tomb Raider skyscraper, Trinity, Saya (crazy Vietnam version), Shenhua, Arden Lynn (black alternate), MvC3 X-23, Chick Soma Cruz
SwordChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #142
Myzanaki

So I happened accros this thread, and I am really intrigued since I want to do some minor prosthetic and paint (ears, hands etc) for a steam punk character im working on

I am a little confused on the actual application of the product itself, specifically with powdering. Are you saying just use baby power or something similar, or are there specific powers to use?

Also how well does PAX apply to prosthetics such as latex horns, ear tips, etc (I managed to pick these up for less than 50% original pricing on Halloween clearance)
Myzanaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #143
Myzanaki

My first post wasnt showing up earlier and now it is, not sure what happened

Last edited by Myzanaki : 03-25-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Myzanaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #144
shannaigans

I just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have learned so much about PAX and paint.
I wanted to take a moment to share my first face paint test session for my cosplay I'm prepping for first weekend in June at Denver ComicCon. If you can't tell, I'm attending as a Twi'Lek.
I have constructed the lekku (the brain tentacles) from polyurethan vinyl fabric, sewed and stuffed lightly. The lekku were painted with fabric paint since acrylic will crack and fall off the vinyl. So to color match, I mixed the pros-aide with the same fabric paint I used on a 1:1 solution. The feel of it is just as you mentioned, like a second skin. I do not feel my skin can breathe perfectly, but I did feel it was possible to stay in the paint for an all day con. I will be testing the acrylic paint for color match and breathability next weekend.
Thanks again for all the fantastic info!
shannaigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #145
abyssofthesoul
SquishyPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzanaki View Post
So I happened accros this thread, and I am really intrigued since I want to do some minor prosthetic and paint (ears, hands etc) for a steam punk character im working on

I am a little confused on the actual application of the product itself, specifically with powdering. Are you saying just use baby power or something similar, or are there specific powers to use?

Also how well does PAX apply to prosthetics such as latex horns, ear tips, etc (I managed to pick these up for less than 50% original pricing on Halloween clearance)
I just recently began my exploration with PAX as well and so far I am LOVING IT.

Myzanaki: here is a video of a Miss Martian cosplayer who uses PAX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...9kE34#t=26 9s

That point shows her applying her PAX. She talks about foam brushes, but that is completely up to you. The powder can be anything from babypowder to ben nye neutral set. I've tested both - they worked equally well for me. Once it's dry you just shake that on and then dust it off with a brush or however you like. (I've also heard of people often using loose powder eyeshadows to enhance the color.)

PAX is first and foremost a special effects adhesive. It is meant to adhere prosthetics to the skin. This lady uses it to attach laytex pieces to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3doVI#t=10 9s

Therefore I believe you could use it to apply to yourself as well as paint the pieces if that's what you were looking to do.

I hope this helped!

Possible cons:
abyssofthesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #146
strawbryshuichi
::headdesk::

Hey guys, anyone who has sensitive skin and is scared about breaking out from the remover for PAX, try using isopropyl myristate. It'll take a bit to take the PAX paint off, but it'll be much gentler than a Bond-Off remover (Though Bond-Off is way faster).

My main advise is to use something to create a shield between your skin and the PAX. Dermashield works well, and there's another lotion type product that I can't think the name of right now, but will find out if anyone is interested.

Those will save your skin from the KEFJHKJE of PAX + removers + rubbing = ouchies sort of things. :>
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #147
mewtwo2222
Hayley Elise

So I've just had my first experience with PAX, yay, and it was both amazing and horrifying. It took so long to put on - I think the only way that can be fixed is through waking up earlier.

I did encounter a few problems so I reckon I'll have to do a few more tests before I wear it again.
I had a real problem with the paint rubbing off in my armpits as you can see perfect little triangles here - http://g10.picoodle.com/ltd/img10/5/..._3b5_ubbwc.jpg
I also had the paint on my fingers begin to flake off almost immediately, as you can see in the image as well. I got a few little tears in the paint towards the end of the day, although I suppose this is only to be expected considering my poses included a lot of stretching.

I did three coats over most of my body but was running out of time whilst doing my hands, so I only did two there, though I don't see why that would have contributed to such drastic flaking. I feel it was something to do with the proportions, most likely. My mix was probably about 60:40 PA to paint, though I didn't measure it out properly, haha.
What does everyone recommend trying out next to avoid this flaking/sweating off of the PAX?
mewtwo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #148
abyssofthesoul
SquishyPanda

Don't have any advice regarding the issues above, but on the topic of remover:

I got a 10 oz bottle of creamy baby oil from the $1 store, lathered it on over the PAX and just let it soak in for about 20-30 minutes. Afterwards it barely took much hard scrubbing at all to get it off. For some areas I did need to do it a second time - but still didn't have to scrub harshly to get off.

I fully suggest trying this because not only does it get the PAX off easily, it makes your skin reeeeeally soft.

Possible cons:
abyssofthesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #149
L-nay
Kichigai NayNay

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssofthesoul View Post
Don't have any advice regarding the issues above, but on the topic of remover:

I got a 10 oz bottle of creamy baby oil from the $1 store, lathered it on over the PAX and just let it soak in for about 20-30 minutes. Afterwards it barely took much hard scrubbing at all to get it off. For some areas I did need to do it a second time - but still didn't have to scrub harshly to get off.

I fully suggest trying this because not only does it get the PAX off easily, it makes your skin reeeeeally soft.
I'll have to try this next time. I ended up buying a bathroom scrubbing brush with hard bristles and scrubbed the crap out of my body to get everything off. Ya... that definitely hurt.

As for my own review of the product, I ended up buying the Pros Aide II for my Harley Quinn makeup. It took forever to put on, so I would highly recommend having a friend, or two, or maybe five, all helping you apply it if you're doing at least half of your body. My main issues were anywhere I would sweat a lot. I couldn't manage to get my hands to work at all. Within ten minutes, my palms were peeling. I'm really not sure how to fix the issue with my hands. My armpits started peeling early on as well, but at least they're fairly hidden. My face started to crack at the end of the day after lots of smiling and talking, but was easily fixable with touch-up paint. For removal, I purchased an adhesive remover for pros aide. Unfortunately, the remover didn't really work at all. I ended up just busting out a hard bristled brush and some body soap to get it all off.
L-nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #150
verdatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewtwo2222 View Post
So I've just had my first experience with PAX, yay, and it was both amazing and horrifying. It took so long to put on - I think the only way that can be fixed is through waking up earlier.

I did encounter a few problems so I reckon I'll have to do a few more tests before I wear it again.
I had a real problem with the paint rubbing off in my armpits as you can see perfect little triangles here - http://g10.picoodle.com/ltd/img10/5/..._3b5_ubbwc.jpg
I also had the paint on my fingers begin to flake off almost immediately, as you can see in the image as well. I got a few little tears in the paint towards the end of the day, although I suppose this is only to be expected considering my poses included a lot of stretching.

I did three coats over most of my body but was running out of time whilst doing my hands, so I only did two there, though I don't see why that would have contributed to such drastic flaking. I feel it was something to do with the proportions, most likely. My mix was probably about 60:40 PA to paint, though I didn't measure it out properly, haha.
What does everyone recommend trying out next to avoid this flaking/sweating off of the PAX?
Hands just flex and rub against things too much. Almost nothing stays on. When required, I'll try to use Alcohol Activated makeup on hands instead. Otherwise, you just need to be super delicate with your hands, and regularly touch-up as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzanaki View Post
It works so well that it is what many people use to paint latex pieces in the first place. Just wash the piece off in soapy water first to get off lingering release agent or powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordChick View Post
Thanks for all the information in this thread! I was wondering how long pro-aide lasts once it's been opened. I use liquid latex body paint right now but it goes "bad" after a while when it's been exposed to air. The pigments break down and the pure white I bought ends up looking yellow.

Just wondering if anyone's noticed a shelf life for it once the prod-aide has been opened. It would be great to buy a big bottle all at once and save it for various cons.
Liquid latex is fragile stuff. the natural rubbers coagulate on their own easily. Ammonia is added to inhibit this tendency, but for cosmetic liquid latex, they try to kick the ammonia level low, since it is an irritant.

Prosaide is acrylic based. It doesn't have these problems. It can coagulate, particularly if left motionless on a shelf, so the solids have a chance to settle, but I've never personally had this problem. I have a bottle that I bought over 2 years ago (and have done silly things like left in a hot car in the summertime). I just checked it, and it still appears to be perfectly good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-nay View Post
I'll have to try this next time. I ended up buying a bathroom scrubbing brush with hard bristles and scrubbed the crap out of my body to get everything off. Ya... that definitely hurt.

As for my own review of the product, I ended up buying the Pros Aide II for my Harley Quinn makeup. It took forever to put on, so I would highly recommend having a friend, or two, or maybe five, all helping you apply it if you're doing at least half of your body. My main issues were anywhere I would sweat a lot. I couldn't manage to get my hands to work at all. Within ten minutes, my palms were peeling. I'm really not sure how to fix the issue with my hands. My armpits started peeling early on as well, but at least they're fairly hidden. My face started to crack at the end of the day after lots of smiling and talking, but was easily fixable with touch-up paint. For removal, I purchased an adhesive remover for pros aide. Unfortunately, the remover didn't really work at all. I ended up just busting out a hard bristled brush and some body soap to get it all off.
Yeah, the hard-bristle scrubbing method (while I admit, I've done myself when in a hurry) is A Bad Thing. My usual advise is that if you must remove it so quickly and aggressively, then you should be using something other than PAX. But I'm sure you learned your lesson in hindsight.

Getting pretty much...anything to stick to your palms is just about impossible. In the film industry, it is almost only ever done for quick close-up shots. Characters are either designed with natural palms, or they wear gloves or glove-type prosthetics. You can do this too. Get some nice tight fitting nitrile or latex gloves, wash the outside with warm soapy water and let dry, cut off the rolled edge around the wrist, paint it with enamel paints as desired. tack down the edges to the wrist using pros-aide. Stipple the seam with your makeup of choice to camouflage it.