Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

I know that feeling, at AFest I took off my shoes and sat in the corner with my boyfriend for a while because we were tired (and Madokas shoes aren't comfy >.<) and some dude insisted that I had beautiful feet and kept asking to rub them.... He followed us for almost an hour till he realized we were walking in a circle.
I am not the best example though, if you EVER feel uncomfortable, go with your gut! Avoid the person, try to stay within a group or crowd, never be alone, and if needed, tell an authority. Nobody should ever make you feel unsafe or uncomfortable! EVER.

pic semi-related. Am I the only one who remembers this?

And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
danielvutran
prinny dood!

Tell them you feel uncomfortable with them around, directly. Don't just sugar coat it. Just be like "Yo, no offense, but really, it's a bit uncomfortable with you around. We kind of just want to enjoy this con together, and you're really kind of ruining the experience here." To my knowledge / understanding, most creepy guys are really just awkward lol. So the direct confrontation should scare them away and "wake them up" as to how uncomfortable they're really making you feel, and that'll be enough to get them to go away. If he keeps being persistent though.. call da po-poz on dat fool. And tell them he's being a fcking weirdo / stalker. I hear con authorities don't take no sht from these scenarios lol, so you won't have to worry about him after that. gl!
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Farasha
Spazkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielvutran View Post
To my knowledge / understanding, most creepy guys are really just awkward lol. So the direct confrontation should scare them away and "wake them up" as to how uncomfortable they're really making you feel, and that'll be enough to get them to go away.
In my experience I've almost always found this to be the case. Someone who doesn't seem to get the hint that you want him to leave you alone, but doesn't set off "Danger Will Robinson!" alarm bells in your head is usually just socially awkward. I can completely relate to not wanting to hurt people's feelings, especially when you can tell that they aren't purposely being aggressive or creepy.

That's why everyone else's advice to just be direct is so true. If hints haven't been working, don't keep trying to drop hints. Move on to the direct approach - "I'm sorry, but I really just want to hang out with my friend at this convention. I would really like it if you would stop following me around, please." If he asks why she can say it's because she has a boyfriend and he's making her feel uncomfortable. That should be enough answer for anyone.

Convention Schedule
Anime Matsuri 2013 March 29-31
A-kon 2013 May 31-June 2
San Japan 2013 August 16-18

Costume Plans
Princess Euphemia Li Britannia - Code Geass
Duchess Satine of Mandalor - Star Wars the Clone Wars
Farasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

reviewing the newer post i have to say if you and your friend and him are in your teens i have to say that is pretty normal. how would you react if you met and started talking to a guy who you thought was really attractive and he said was not interested? im just saying that he just might be trying to be friendly.

now if he makes a grab for any part of you feel free to report him otherwise live and let live don't make him feel like he is not good with girls.
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Kuroki, people (especially girls) already spend enough time second-guessing themselves about whether they should really feel bothered or threatened. Sympathy for the person who's making you feel uncomfortable should not be a priority. You're part of the problem right now and you need to stop.

People have every right to avoid people they don't like. Ideally they'd have the gumption to tell these people directly, but if they don't...a girl should NEVER think that she has to deal with getting grabbed at, physically assaulted, before she can get help with her situation.

You're not good with women. Lots of creepers are also not good with women. That doesn't mean you need to be a cheerleader or speak up for these guys poor hurt feelings, it means you (and they) need to eliminate the behavior that makes them creepy.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
GunnJaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touva View Post
My best friend and I are going to Ohayocon in a few weeks, and we know for a fact that a certain guy we met at Sugoicon will be there also. He spent some time hanging out with us and it was glaringly obvious that he was rather attracted to my friend, but she thought he was just being nice so she didn't shy away from him. She doesn't want to tell him off for some reason, but she's dreading inevitably meeting him at Ohayo.

What are some (clever? XD) ways to try to get away from a creeper before notifying the proper authorities?
From what you've described in your post versus the title on this thread, all he's done so far is "just being nice"? Did he actually bring on the creeper swag an watch her from afar with a cat eye stare lol? You said she spent some time with him so he must not of been that creepy or unbearable to be in your party. No need to bash on the guy, obviously it's natural for him to be attracted to a girl etc... Chances are you may not even see him or run into him but if you do... It's very simple to let him off politely that your not interested in him in being an item etc lol... Your choice to be friends if you feel he can contain himself to civil behavior.

A few other variables could of changed since this Con, he may have found someone else... No longer have an attraction for your friend... so on an so on... All in all.. Don't let it run on and ruin your weekend away of madness, its not fair to both individuals an clearly a waste of everyone's time.

As far as creepers go in not being good with the ladies... There is a fine line when you refer to someone who is unfortunately socially awkward as a creeper and someone who is actually creeping/stalking you.... Only way to find out is engage the individual, confrontation usually does the rest. It's been said, one will be embarrassed, awoken, etc.. Builds character in my opinion... In a constructional way, might give that person a outside look on what they need to change in there game... sorry bro, dead blank stares from afar are 2000-N-late

Ikkicon

Akon

San-Japan

Costumes in the works

Anbu Zabuza 90%

Rogue Cheney 30%
GunnJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Apple Adams
Crossplay Diva!

I find being polite is the fist line of defense. If they're definitely giving off "the vibe", just tell them that you're going to meet up with some friends, and wish them a happy con.

If they volunteer to come with you, just tell them it's a private event. If you still manage to catch them lingering around you after you've departed, tell a staff member. At that point, you've made it clear that you were going somewhere else without them explicitly, and they followed you anyway.

Also, travel in groups (or at least pairs). Creepers tend to be very socially awkward, and generally don't like to hang out in crowds of strangers. Definitely have had my fair share of experiences with them. *shudder*

~In Progress~
Erica Anderson - Catherine
Isabella - Paradise Kiss

My Tumblr
My deviantART
My Facebook
Apple Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #23
mqnania
Baller

My friend and I have hand motions we use to bail each other out of situations, which includes a parachute rip cord motion and flapping your hands above your head like an idiot motion. Or you can pull a Jenna Marbles.

Otherwise, I agree with the majority in telling staff or security.

2014 Con Schedule:
Naka kon-Anime Central-Anime Nebraskon

Anime Nebraskon 2014 Cosplays:
-Brachydios Blademaster Armor from MH3U: 5%
-Firefox Ahri from League of Legends: 10%
-Ryuko Mataoi from Kill La Kill: 75%
-Angela from Guardian of the Galaxy: 0%
mqnania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

Don't let your friend spend the weekend feeling uncomfortable because she wants to be nice, or doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.. if she doesn't want him around or wants him to back off a bit, she needs to tell him. Probably best to do it in a public place, close to security guards in case something goes wrong.
How she feels is more important than how he feels, as she's the one getting the unwanted attention.
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
Poki_Toshi

It's sad that people have to take all these steps to avoid being creeped on, harassed and stalked at cons. When people could simply not creep on people or harass them.

Also a lot of women try to be nice to the guys, try not to hurt their feelings and let them down easy because they don't want to be hurt or assaulted. Once again needing to take steps so they don't become a victim. It's sad that you can't just go to a con and enjoy yourself and have to constantly stay on guard.
Upcoming cons: Momocon, Dragoncon, AWA
Poki_Toshi is offline   Reply With Quote