Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Musouka_Ningyou

Help with attaching tall horns to my head?

Hello everyone

I am planning on cosplaying The Condesce from Homestuck, as as you can see from the reference, she has rather tall horns. I am at a bit of a loss as to how I should go about keeping them on my head.

I have looked around the internet, and it seems as if making them out of a lightweight material like insulation foam is my best bet, and I am planning on making them as tall as I can get through doors with (or not...I'm thinking in the 18~24" range), and as thin as I can get them without structural problems (I'm hoping for 1.5~2" diameter at the base?). First of all, is this feasible, and would I need some sort of inner support, like twisted wire or wooden dowels?

Second, and this is where I'm at a bit of a loss, is getting them onto my head. Most troll cosplayers seem to use headbands under their wigs, but plastic or metal headbands give me a terrible headache and I would like to avoid that method if at all possible. I know that smaller horns can be done with small bits of plastic or card that are slipped under the wig instead of a headband (with the horns attached by magnets, screws, or some other means), but I'm really sure that this method would not work with such tall horns, even if they are lightweight, because of the lever action created by the height. I do not want my horns to fall over, for obvious reasons! I have heard rumors of other Ancestor cosplayers (who all have rather large horns) making complicated rigs and posting up instructions online, but after a rather exhaustive Google search, I have come up empty on that front, as well, so I have done my research.

I am looking for a method that would not show on the outside of the wig, that would keep my horns upright on my head for a reasonably long amount of time, and that would not squeeze my head and cause it to hurt (since I'm sure that the weight of the wig I'm planning on...err...building and the horns will do enough of that on their own!). Would a fabric headband give enough support for the horns, one that wraps around the top and back of my head? If I did that, would I need some sort of fabric support running front-to-back across the top of my head to distribute the weight more evenly and help keep the headband steady? Or should I look into another method entirely? (Or just suck it up and bring some sort of pain medication to the con, and use a plastic headband?) I found where another Condesce cosplayer said that she used a headband that pulled too much because the horns kept wanting to fall over, so I'm also a bit wary of headbands because of that.

So if anyone has experience putting tall, thin objects on top of their head and getting them to stay there, I'd love some advice. :D
Thank you~!
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I would say definitely do an internal structural support like a wire or dowel - it would be a terrible thing to have one of your horns snap if it accidentally gets banged on something.

A fabric headband by itself wouldn't be supportive enough, but perhaps a fabric headband reinforced with a rather large curved piece of cardboard or plastic.

How about a wig cap? Put your reinforcement card under the wig cap, have some machine screws that poke through the reinforcement card and the wig cap, then thread the horns onto the screws. With some nuts or other sort of internal-threaded fitting built into the base of the horn to accept the screw threads, of course.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
heaven_firings

I wonder if the Wonderflex type method would work for this. It would require making slightly bigger holes in the top of your wig.

This is shown in part 4 of FinalCosplayCorps video.

I use a headband but I get headaches from wigs by themselves so I take medication before getting the cosplay on and sometimes later in the day if it starts to hurt. I get headaches easily though, like daily.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

The first thought I had was magnets. I'm not an expert on wigs but if your horns were light enough I'd imagine you'd be able to place a magnet inside your wig and one on the end of your horn?

Since they are so tall you may need more than one.. But that's all I got.. Sorry :<.

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

extremely strong rare earth magnets sew into the wig netting!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Musouka_Ningyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
I would say definitely do an internal structural support like a wire or dowel - it would be a terrible thing to have one of your horns snap if it accidentally gets banged on something.

A fabric headband by itself wouldn't be supportive enough, but perhaps a fabric headband reinforced with a rather large curved piece of cardboard or plastic.

How about a wig cap? Put your reinforcement card under the wig cap, have some machine screws that poke through the reinforcement card and the wig cap, then thread the horns onto the screws. With some nuts or other sort of internal-threaded fitting built into the base of the horn to accept the screw threads, of course.
Will certainly do an internal support strcture. I'm assuming I'll have to use a material for the horns that I can build around a support structure, like expanding insulation foam from a can, especially depending on what my support structure will be, and then carving/sealing/etc. How is the weight and sturdiness of this material? I'm sure I'll accidentally bang these horns into at least something, seeing as I'm not used to having nearly 2' horns on top of my head (obviously, haha).

I was planning on attaching the horns to the support structure with either long screws or a thin rod that slips into a tube inside the horn. The screws would be attached to the support structure and poke through the wig, and then screw into nuts/screw anchors/etc. inside the horns themselves. The rods would attach to the under-wig support system in a similar way, and then fit inside of some sort of tube inside of the horns, with the rod and tube being a fairly close fit to each other, to prevent wobbling. I want something detachable, so I can remove the horns to enter buildings (if needed) and to store/transport them, and I want something that fits up inside the horn so that the point where the attachment method stops is higher up inside the horn, preventing the leverage created by the height from snapping off the horns at the base and/or causing them to wobble (I guess this would be akin to moving a pivot point closer to the center for more stability?). That's not too much of an issue, I just need to decide on a method once I decide on the horn materials and the actual attachment to my head, since I'm sure that will affect which method of getting the horns on I can use.

Some sort of thin plastic or card reinforcement for a fabric headband might just work. The fabric would hold it onto my head (since it's soft, it probably won't hurt), and the plastic or card would provide stability for the rig.

I never thought about how I was going to wear a wigcap! I guess I was planning on just putting whatever rig I had over my wigcap, but I guess I can put it under (and either cut holes in the cap or use a mesh one with an open top and just pin the hole shut around the horns -- the wig will have so much volume that I won't have to worry about lumpiness under it from some extra pins and my hair not being 100% smoothed down on top), which might help keep it in place better. I'll experiment both ways once I get something constructed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven_firings View Post
I wonder if the Wonderflex type method would work for this. It would require making slightly bigger holes in the top of your wig.

This is shown in part 4 of FinalCosplayCorps video.

I use a headband but I get headaches from wigs by themselves so I take medication before getting the cosplay on and sometimes later in the day if it starts to hurt. I get headaches easily though, like daily.
I didn't think of going to Youtube for tutorials (derp), so thanks for that link! I wonder if I can do some sort of hybrid method with the Wonderflex that still allows for my horns to be detachable. Maybe I can sew in the Wonderflex support to the wig itself (or some other, similar type of support), reinforce with ??? on the underside, and then use long screws or rods attached to the Wonderflex and/or undersupport that then attach inside of the horns? That would provide some extra stability by distributing the strain to a support system both in the wig and underneath it. I wouldn't be able to reuse the wig for anything else, and I'd still probably have to cut holes in it, but that's not a huge deal, I'm mostly just concerned with getting these horns to stay upright on my head with minimal discomfort, and with making them removable for ease of storage and going inside buildings.

I think that painkillers might be a very viable option no matter what my attachment method is, seeing as I'm planning on sewing together about 5 wigs to get the correct length and volume, which will be a lot of weight! I just want to minimize the pain as much as possible, obviously. (Though, I have a hard time with headbands and I still insist on cosplaying various versions of Rose Lalonde...there must be something wrong with me! ;) )

Thanks, you two, for your help. I still have a lot to sort out, but now I at least have some ideas. That hybrid sewn in/screw or rod on/fabric headband with plastic or card reinforcement method looks like it might be my best bet, stability-wise. I just have no idea how to get something like that to work, or even if it will!

As for magnets, I think these horns are simply too large for that. Even if they are lightweight, there will be too much leverage from the height, and with the attachment/pivot point being so close to the base, especially with something like a magnet that would come undone relatively easily (relative to, say, having to unscrew the horns), there would be too much pressure and they'd be constantly falling off. Besides, magnets strong enough might be getting into dangerous territory, and even if they were strong enough to hold the horns, I'm still afraid of wobble. Thanks for the suggestions, though.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I wouldn't worry about removing them every time for going in and out of buildings. You can always just duck your head down or hunch down as you go through doorways. Revolving doors might be a little challenge. You'll definitely want them removable for transport and storage though.

You can use expanding foam, but I think the pink/blue insulation foam might be simpler and cleaner. Make two rough-shaped halves, carve a rough channel down the middle to hold your support (dowel or whatever), glue the two halves together, then do your finishing carving and sealing/painting/detailing.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Musouka_Ningyou

Removing them for entering buildings is more for cons that don't allow any sort of costume elements that won't fit through a doorway than for not having to duck my head...I'd probably duck my head to enter/exit until I was told to remove the horns, so I want them easily removeable, just in case that happens. I don't think there are any revolving doors at the cons I typically go to, but I'm sure I'll figure something out if that ever comes up.

Ah, I didn't think of carving two pieces and putting a channel in the middle. That would work even better. I was originally thinking the pink foam sheets, but couldn't wrap my head around how to get a support system into the middle of them. That would work perfectly. Thanks.

Any thoughts on a hybrid system of sewing a support into the wig and having one underneath? Does it seem like a fesible idea that would help? Maybe I should draw up some schematics on what I am thinking, since I'm not sure how understandable my thinking in text is up there.
Misc. other cosplays
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
vervv
Vervv

As far as getting the horns onto your wig...I have an idea. I did this for one of my horns, which aren't nearly as big as yours will be, but its worth considering. I glued lace around the bottom of my horn and sewed the horn onto the wig. I get massive migraines from headbands, and I was perfectly fine for hours with this method. I glued additional lace around the bottom to make it more regal, but since your wig is going to be floofy, I think you will be ok with the lace just at the base.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3343009/
vervv is offline   Reply With Quote