Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Mass Effect

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #1921
GizBro

I'm just getting started on a ME2 Jacob costume. I wasn't sure where to start but I have a few ideas after finding this thread. Thanks for the inspiration.
GizBro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #1922
jukebox
role models > supermodels

@ Freya - oh, wow! Your armor looks great, I love the attention to detail. The printing on the bodysuit looks great too! Did you print it yourself or take your fabric to get it done somewhere?

@ GizBro - oh. my. gooooooosh. Why are you far away from me? I wish I had a Jacob. :c You hardly ever see him cosplayed! I bet you'll look great.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #1923
GizBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
@ GizBro - oh. my. gooooooosh. Why are you far away from me? I wish I had a Jacob. :c You hardly ever see him cosplayed! I bet you'll look great.
Yeah, that's exactly why I'm determined to get Jacob done now. Haven't seen a really good one yet. I'm not that far away. If I can complete it soon enough maybe I will try to hit Anime North. Some Miranda / Jacob photos would be awesome!
GizBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #1924
soren7550
Overly proud New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya Willia View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been working on an ME3 FemShep since this summer. It's been a while since I've shared anything on cosplay.com, but I am extensively documenting my build (most of it is with heat-formed styrene), so this may be useful to anyone wanting to make the N7 armor out of an alternative material.

So far I have used styrene, leather, and carbon fiber vinyl for most of what you see there.

I'm also getting to the fun part - painting and weathering

The suit was fabric from SpandexHouse and custom printed with DPI printing using a pattern I made in photoshop.

Coming up over my holiday break will hopefully be a omniblade prototype out of acrylic, a test of the basic suit parts, and more ME prop accessories. Hopefully. Yeah... thats kind of aiming high.
Sooooooo sexy!

If I ever have tons of expendable money to throw around, I think I'd have you make me N7 armor (granted that you'd be willing to do it).
"A philosopher will ask that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, would it still make a sound. A smart person would ask why the presence of a person determines whether or not a tree makes a sound as it falls." - Soren Alenko

Cosplays for NYCC 2012!:
Commander Shepard (N7 Hoodie) - 95% Completed
Dovahkinn (Novice Robes) - 95% Completed
Ethan/Gold (HeartGold/SoulSilver) - 85% Completed
soren7550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #1925
jukebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizBro View Post
Yeah, that's exactly why I'm determined to get Jacob done now. Haven't seen a really good one yet. I'm not that far away. If I can complete it soon enough maybe I will try to hit Anime North. Some Miranda / Jacob photos would be awesome!
That would be so cool! You're not too far away, though I think you'd have getting across to the South side of Ontario and booking accommodations to worry about. People are booking their hotels pretty quickly from what I understand. If things work out, it would be fantastic! I'm proud of the fact that Anime North is a really welcoming convention and we get attendees from across the border.

While I'm here, does anyone out there have any advice or encouragement for people building N7 armor? My boyfriend is being Shepard, but he's stalling on work because he's nervous about it, and no amount of encouragement or looking at references seems to help him wrap his head around the armor construction. His anxiety is rubbing off on me, even. D:

PROFILES
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #1926
Freya Willia

@ jukebox-
I've been taking mine really slow, and working from the legs up. The legs are the easiest shapes and you can also use them to scale the other parts. My advice is - don't try to tackle the torso first if you haven't played around with materials that much - you can figure out how things bend and conform to your body doing arms/legs. But DudeShep doesn't have boobs, so he has that part much easier

But I wont lie, its very hard work.

@soren - I may be heading up to NYCC next year with this costume, just FYI. And I've given some thought to selling some of the the unpainted, vac-formed parts of this suit when I am finished. As of right now I need more practice with vac-forming though.
Freya Willia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #1927
soren7550
Overly proud New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya Willia View Post
@soren - I may be heading up to NYCC next year with this costume, just FYI. And I've given some thought to selling some of the the unpainted, vac-formed parts of this suit when I am finished. As of right now I need more practice with vac-forming though.
I really hope that I can get to NYCC then. Should maybe plan on what cosplays to do (was thinking of doing an earth bender, and maybe an improved Ethan/Gold since that was really popular).
"A philosopher will ask that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, would it still make a sound. A smart person would ask why the presence of a person determines whether or not a tree makes a sound as it falls." - Soren Alenko

Cosplays for NYCC 2012!:
Commander Shepard (N7 Hoodie) - 95% Completed
Dovahkinn (Novice Robes) - 95% Completed
Ethan/Gold (HeartGold/SoulSilver) - 85% Completed
soren7550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #1928
pinkkiller

@ Freya Willia:

Seen your work on RPF, it's incredible! You really make me jealous... but I'm thankful that you're sharing, especially your painting technique isn't something I've seen, normally all ME threads only talk about how to build it, not how to paint it. I'll be making mine out of foam, but I think it's still applicable, right?

I'd love to see it in person, alas, I might live a tad far away, so I'm looking forward to the pictures! And any progress you share, of course.
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #1929
jukebox

Oh my goodness! @_@ I just placed an order with FabricOnDemand for Miranda's hexagon-print lycra. I'm really glad that I got a generous amount of Christmas money from my uncle and aunt, because it wasn't cheap. D: I do recommend them highly, though! They are lovely for anything that Spoonflower cannot help you with. (Seriously though, Spoonflower needs to have lycra in their supplies. Grr.)

I still have a few other things I need to order. I'm thinking that I'll probably order wetlook gloves and a black wetlook suit from zentai-zentai.com - I can cannibalize the black zentai suit for the boot covers and the little jacket. And I need to get some turtleneck tank tops for drafting out and prototyping her shirt.

I'm rambling... but I will have progress photos soon. Hopefully. Although if anyone needs, here's the hexagon pattern that I whipped up using a photo editor and submitted for printing. It's not as clean at the edges as I would like because I was working without a mouse, but it's a good start if you need a visual source for the print.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAWSONPRINT_FINALj.jpg (138.3 KB, 0 views)

PROFILES
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #1930
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

I'm caving! Finally buying fabric for my Matriarch Benezia that has been put on hold for a few years now! Lol! Will probably have it done for either Comikaze Expo or Comic Con. The first test runs I did with her, the fabric wasnt the right choice, so now I've been fabric lurking and finally found the right fabric. Will start as soon as I am done with Sindel.

Last edited by Lady Muramasa : 01-29-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Lady Muramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #1931
wedu

Anyone know where I can get a blank navy hat that looks like http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/prod...t2_sr2_hat.jpg?
wedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1932
shinylunchbox

Check out my blog--> I'm writing a guide to constructing Tali Cosplay

http://talicosplay.tumblr.com/
shinylunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #1933
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
I'm doing her default outfit as it appears in 2 (with the Cerberus logo). Mostly because I decided that I'd rather spend more on fabric (for the custom-printed lycra) than have to rip my hair out trying to do all the orange piping.
But Miranda's default has almost the same amount of piping, it's just white where in the loyalty version it's orange. The Loyalty outfit just has some extra around the collar of the black jacket-y thingy.

Anime Next
Catelyn Stark - Game of Thrones
Narcissa Malfoy - Harry Potter

Connecticon
Isabela - Dragon Age 2
Sonia Nevermind - Dangan Ronpa 2
Miranda Lawson (DLC Armor) - Mass Effect

Dragon*Con
Lady Stoneheart - Game of Thrones
Rogue Champion Hawke - Dragon Age 2
Narcissa Malfoy - Harry Potter
Miranda Lawson (DLC Armor) - Mass Effect

Last edited by MagentaFox : 02-03-2013 at 01:05 AM.
MagentaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #1934
jukebox

@ Lady - That sounds amazing!! I wanna see it when you do it. I love your stuff.

@ wedu - I always kind of say "when in doubt, ebay". But if that doesn't work, you could find a plain blue cap and get the SR2 design custom-printed onto it. It's how my boyfriend got his own N7 cap.

@ Magenta - Totally true. My logic was that if (inevitably) I make any mistakes, it won't be as obvious with white-on-white as it would be with orange-on-black. I'm gonna see how I feel after the default before I decide on making the loyalty one as well.

PROFILES
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #1935
ToadyMcToadster

This is my recently finished custom N7 armor build, which is also my first ever build ever (with no prior craft or even 3D modeling experience). The pattern was adapted my Narayas with some small personal not-in-game customizations. I also have quite a large tummy on me, so I adapted the armor to actually make me look kind of in shape. And I apologize for poor camera quality, the unveil is going to be at MegaCon.

And this an older photo...
Matrix Reloaded Neo "Matrix attire" - PLANNING
Matrix Neo "Civie attire" - PLANNING
Mortal Kombat "SEKTOR" - PLANNING
ToadyMcToadster is offline   Reply With Quote