Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
YusukeUrameshi

Wigs like Dragon Ball Z

Hello everyone.

Please, I need the following information:
1: Where can I buy a good wig suitable for something like Dragon Ball (see attached picture)?
2. Which products I need to style it?
3. Which steps I have to follow?

I look forward to your reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21815_10200094890639867_1594359821_n.jpg (109.8 KB, 0 views)
YusukeUrameshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

You won't. You need a spikable wig, like from Arda. I'd say use the jereth for its length. Then you need a second jereth in the same color. You need to carefully take out the wefts, and sew them onto the first wig. Then you will still need base spikes. There's are many ways to do this. Google will help. Then you follow the tutorial on whichever way you feel you can do
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
YusukeUrameshi

So I have to mix two wigs?
Instead can I find a long one and style it? The problem is that the net under hair become visible. Anyway I saw others do it and perfect. How can I reach the same result?
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

They are doing the same thing I just said..I wouldn't say it otherwise..that's the only way..and you said it yourself, the netting shows. Adding more wefts will stop that from happening. There are zero wigs for sale that are that thick.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Aurorae

Quote:
Originally Posted by YusukeUrameshi View Post
So I have to mix two wigs?
Instead can I find a long one and style it? The problem is that the net under hair become visible. Anyway I saw others do it and perfect. How can I reach the same result?
If you don't want to add wefts/combine wigs yourself, Arda's Malinda wig is specially made to be spiked straight up without the wefts showing- the fibers are already sewn in upside down.
Aurorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorae View Post
If you don't want to add wefts/combine wigs yourself, Arda's Malinda wig is specially made to be spiked straight up without the wefts showing- the fibers are already sewn in upside down.
While this is true, the wig cap is enormous. I can't fit into eBay wigs without my cap or hair showing around the bottom, but this wig, on It's tightest setting, I can still fit my whole balled first in it without stretching the band. Also there are no ear tabs, meaning if you wanna anything super sayian, you will have to have bi hair by your ears or it'll show
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
YusukeUrameshi

The ears problems I think is easier to solve than mixing wigs.
Anyway I have short hair. I remember that this is the first time with wig styling and I haven't much time to do it. So I think that arda wig could be ok. What do you suggest?
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

measure your head first. arda has huge wig caps so thatll b an issue....
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Like I said, the netting cap is huge. I did say the ear tabs was a problem, yes, but read the rest of that. Arda size wigs are the only ones that fit me correctly, my head size is 23.6" around, if you are smaller then that, which chances are, you are, it will be way too big on you. If you don't want to splice, then don't, but it will look terrible. You aren't really listening to what I posted. If you aren't going to actually take the advice, why did you post?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Aurorae

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Like I said, the netting cap is huge. I did say the ear tabs was a problem, yes, but read the rest of that. Arda size wigs are the only ones that fit me correctly, my head size is 23.6" around, if you are smaller then that, which chances are, you are, it will be way too big on you. If you don't want to splice, then don't, but it will look terrible. You aren't really listening to what I posted. If you aren't going to actually take the advice, why did you post?
Actually, my head is 21.5", MAYBE 22" tops, and Arda's wigs fit me fine even with the tightening strap things unhooked. I know they're big on some people, but the only way to know for sure is trying one on, unfortunately. Plus, the too-big thing mostly applies to their ponytail wigs. That said, making the wig smaller isn't all that difficult and Arda even has a tutorial on how to do it. Either option would work, it's really up to the OP to decide which method they want to use and what techniques they're comfortable with.
Aurorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Sanda
SH obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
You aren't really listening to what I posted. If you aren't going to actually take the advice, why did you post?
If you don't want to give advice, then don't...? The OP is trying to follow what you're saying. Frankensteining 2 wigs together is a little more advanced than most beginners are used to. Try to remember that:
a) not everyone here is going to be grateful or thankful for your time (I am NOT saying this OP is like that, just that it happens on here when you take the time to help people out)
b) inexperienced people might need more hand holding or need to work up to certain skills

OP, I'd recommend the Malinda (and spike it like Malinda does haha), or perhaps have it commissioned if you're afraid to tackle the project yourself. The commissioner can maybe take some progress photos and send them your way so you better know what to do in the future. It is definitely do-able, but just take it slowly and carefully. I've been cosplaying for a few years now and I'd be really careful while styling such a wig because it is pretty demanding. As I mentioned earlier, Malinda-chan (that's her handle I think) is very good at making these crazy spikes, so I'd check out her DA page for some progress shots. She maybe even has tutorials? If I were to take on such a project I'd get some alligator clips, Aquanet hair spray in strong hold, and G2b hair glue (maybe even real fabric glue too since the spikes are so darn big). Partition it via clips and ponytail holders. Work on little sections at a time. On the Malinda the roots are already pointing straight up, but if you work with another wig I'd tease the roots with spray to get them upright. It is a bit of a time consuming step, so again, I'd recommend the Malinda to minimize that. Once you have the hair partitioned and standing up, comb the fibers into a nice bundle (so that light isn't showing through the fibers much, if at all) trim the top into spikes, place a dab of G2B glue or a teeeeeensy bit of fabric glue at the very tip, place a bobby pin just under that and let it dry like that. Be sure to observe it so the spike won't flop over. After it is dry ply the whole spike with some hairspray, but don't overdo it. It is a bit of a balance between making it too stiff and not keeping it stiff enough.

I've had pretty good luck like that for the few spiking projects I've done. Good luck! It is fun to work on crazy spikes
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I understand not everyone is experienced, but the point of asking for advice is BECAUSE they aren't experienced..I'm telling them what I know FROM experience. And you just suggested the same wig that I was just saying is not a good choice, because I OWNED that wig and I know for a fact that it's extremely huge on the head and will not look good at all. If they want to use that wig, or not splice anything, that's their choice, but seeing as it's the only way to do these styles, they have 2 choices:
a.) use the Melinda and have a wig thatdoesn't fit at all or
b.) use ONE wig and have all the netting show.

Either way it not look the way they want it to. I'm giving my advice as someone that specializes in spiking wigs.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
YusukeUrameshi

Jason: I didn't mean to upset you, sorry. I'm here to listen everyone.
Thank you very much to everyone for your precious advices.
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
YusukeUrameshi

Can you please tell me all the products I need to style my wig? So I can buy all together.
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by YusukeUrameshi View Post
Jason: I didn't mean to upset you, sorry. I'm here to listen everyone.
Thank you very much to everyone for your precious advices.
You aren't upsetting me, I just really honestly questioned why I litterally told you the only way to get the results you wanted, and you still went for other ideas, I understand you want to hear more then one person's advice, but these other people are telling you to get a wig they obviously haven't bought before. They all think it's good just because the site says that it spikes up..They, not having owned it before, don't realize how bad of a wig it actually is..That wig that you posted in the first post, IS spliced. All of the actually GOOD dbz wigs you see (for the spikey ones) are all spliced together. If you want quality, you gotta do what you have to. If you can't afford that, then save up, or wait till you CAN afford it..

As for styling, use got2b glued spiking glue (yellow tube, looks like a big toothpaste tube) and got2b glued freeze blast (hair spray, looks like an air horn can)
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)