Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
ninana
(chrissyplaysdressup)

Cure Blossom's Petal Skirt/Sleeves

Hello!

I will be cosplaying as Cure Blossom this year, and I was wondering how one would go about making her skirt of petal-like pieces stick out properly. It's pretty short, and she's definitely not wearing a petticoat (she's actually wearing spandex tights underneath). I was planning to make each petal from two pieces of fabric and stuff them slightly (like a pillow?) so I could put wire in the two petals that curve out on either side. Maybe do that for all of them? It seems like they might not hold their shape well but I guess it depends on the wire... Is there a better way?

Also does anyone have ideas for the pattern of her sleeves? I would like it to be as dynamic and cartoony as in the show, so I was thinking of stuffing them as well... but wow they're kind of a pain to figure out, especially with that little spiral in the middle! I will be using Lycra, if that helps at all.

Thanks!

ninana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For the skirt, if you stuff the petals like you said, that will help them stick away from the body some.

As for the sleeves, to get that little curl on them you might have to either do a line of stitching, ribbon, or bias tape on top of the sleeve since it's really not feasible to attempt that with the fabric itself, especially lycra with all of its stretchiness.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Also for the petals I would also suggest using a heavy interfacing to make them stick out if you didn't want to stuff them.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
ninana
(chrissyplaysdressup)

Thanks guys! I think I will be stuffing the petals juuuust a little bit, I've looked at a lot of other cosplays and sometimes the petals look really sad and not petal-like if there's not some fullness to them? Interfacing may help give that extra bit of poof though! And good to know that just by stuffing them theyll stick out too!

Also, my fabric can change if something else would be better. I'm new to this haha I just thought lycra would make the leotard easier to work with/be able to make a rounded sleeve shape without a billion darts or gathering...

Um, I just had a thought. Should I use styrofoam for the sleeve shape and cover it fabric? I was trying to approach it like a stuffed animal construction-wise... but I'm not sure how great that'll turn out? lol
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
YuffieK
RosieGaga

Yeah, I think the interfacing+a little stuffing would definitely give some life to the petals! I would also suggest maybe sewing a little hook down the middle of each petal once it's all put together and stuffed so it has that little indent/line in the center. I would test it first though to see if that does actually work xD

As far as fabric goes, I know lycra will definitely have more give for the bodice part, but I don't know if it would be sturdy/stiff enough to actually hold the sleeve shape. You could stuff it like you said, and then add a kind of undersleeve layer to hold the stuffing in/against the actual sleeve. Try making a mock-up and fiddling around with that until you get the look you want! It might take a lot of trial and error, but you can just keep working on it until it looks good

hope this helps a bit! Good luck! :3

YuffieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
ninana
(chrissyplaysdressup)

Thank you! I'll try both methods and post again once I figure it out